Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 07:44   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Official TS Ian/Hurricane Ian thread

Head for the mangroves, tie alongside them, anchors with long scope for and aft at 45 degree angles holding you off the mangroves.

We tie 4 long lines to the mangroves at 4 anchor points (bow, stern and two springs), each line at least a boat length. We like to use so-called “tree savers” to wrap around the mangroves (Tractor Supply).

If you can sail, Texas would be good as long as the storm keeps the projected track.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:52   #17

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
I was being facetious but maybe too subtle.
Well there were two possibilities. That or a troll. I decided to take care of the latter. Touché
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 07:59   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
What area are you in?
Do you live aboard?

I have been playing this scenario out in my mind, as I’m a year away from living aboard in the Charlotte Harbor region, where I previously own a home and boats for 9 years. When I return, it will be with only a boat and one which I carry all of the risk (no insurance).

A week ago, when I first started talking about this system, I would have been headed east from Florida, toward Texas. Making 100 miles a day, two weeks ahead of the storm would have gotten me out of harms way.

Now, 4-5 days out, if I found myself still in Florida, looking for a plan. . . What I would do is:

Empty waste tanks, fill fresh water and fuel tanks, emptying Jerry Cans first, stowing the cans. Have a months worth of bottled water for drinking and of course adequate food supply.

Ensure all batteries are full and bilge pumps are functioning. Have manual bilge pump aboard.

identify a suitable hurricane hole in one of the many tidal creeks as an anchorage; preferably among mangroves for some kind of cover. Someplace without rocks or riprap. Put out 3 anchors, planning for a potential 10’ tidal surge. Include marker buoys to locate anchors later, in case you have to release them and retrieve later. Strip all running gear, solar panels and topside accessories and stow below.

If it’s my home, I stay aboard. Part of my risk management plan is to be present to manage the risk. I know a guy who did the same, in a hurricane hole off of Ft Myers Beach during Cat 4 Charley. I would do the same, if I didn’t have sufficient notice to sail away.

Best of luck and God’s blessings to you.
As time allows, keep us updated.
I hope you can find a good hurricane hole in your hypothetical hurricane scenario.

I used to live at an apartment on the water next to a hurricane hole in Pensacola, FL and it usually worked out well for those anchored there unless your anchor started to drag then the boat would end up at a low bridge and soon the mast would get knocked off and the boat would go under

The only time there was a real problem for the boats that were properly anchored there was during our first Cat 3/4 Hurricane which was Ivan in 2004.

The surge lifted the Navy Base's Floating Marina above it's pilings. It then took out all but one of the boats that were anchored in the hurricane hole.

I believe Ivan was like the 7th Hurricane we had and before that we were able to hangout during the storm drinking beer and watching the anchored boats but not during Ivan with it's 8'-18' surge.

The I-10 Bridge was lifted up and dropped into the water also

The first floor of those apartments received 8' of water during the surge.

We had n power for about two weeks and a curfew enforced by police and National Guardsmen for the same period.

Everyone of the streets by 4 pm

The apartment in the photo where I had lived until 200o condemned and it took two years to rebuild.

75% of the homes lost their rooves then the tire companies were overloaded with repair guarantees from the roofing nails.

Plus tons of traffic from contractors to include tree cutters, roofers, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Landing.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	264964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base marina.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	264965  

Name:	Bayou Grande.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	264966   Click image for larger version

Name:	I-10.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	264973  

Name:	I-10.1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	264974   Click image for larger version

Name:	040915.ivan.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	264975  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:24   #19

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard
Official TS Ian/Hurricane Ian thread

Thanks for that perspective and those incredible photos, Thomm225.
In my mind, a suitable hurricane hold is nowhere near bridges, structures or marinas. Your pictures demonstrate why.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:32   #20

Quote:
Thanks for that perspective and those incredible photos, Thomm225.
In my mind, a suitable hurricane hold is nowhere near bridges, structures or marinas. Your pictures demonstrate why.
Another thing don't try to "outrun" a hurricane on a sailboat headed into the Gulf because unlike this one many change their track several times and they can be huge.

Ivan took up almost 1/2 the Gulf.

Katrina was similar.

When Katrina passed 180 miles below Pensacola we had water level heights simialr to a Cat 1. Katrina had a 26' surge

Both were Cat 5's right up until hitting the mainland

On top of everything else all the water and gasoline is usually gone a week prior to a hurricane's arrival in places that are used to receiving them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	040915.ivan.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	264977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Katrina-noaaGOES12.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	264978  

Name:	Ivan track.png
Views:	189
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	264980  
Old 26-09-2022, 09:09   #21

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard
Official TS Ian/Hurricane Ian thread

True, on the water and gas. When we lived on a Charlotte Harbor canal, we would start every summer with 20 cases of 40 pints of bottled water. When season ended, we would use it up all winter. Fuel was trickier because it spoils, if not Rec90, non-ethanol We only stocked up on fuel, 10 days out, filling Jerry cans, both vehicles, and boat on our lift (at the time).
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 09:14   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
True, on the water and gas. When we lived on a Charlotte Harbor canal, we would start every summer with 20 cases of 40 pints of bottled water. When season ended, we would use it up all winter. Fuel was trickier because it spoils, if not Rec90, non-ethanol We only stocked up on fuel, 10 days out, filling Jerry cans, both vehicles, and boat on our lift (at the time).
Gas will last an off season if stored well. Add stabilizer, fill any vented tanks and you'll generally be in good shape. I've seen boats stored over the winter with full tanks of stabilized E10 plenty of times and no issues in the spring. Gas in a well sealed jerry can or tank will easily last a year, typically more as long as you start with a higher than needed octane to account for some octane loss over time.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 09:25   #23

Based on latest models and forecast am revising land strike in Florida to just north of Anclote Key. Won't be great for Tampa Bay with storm surge. Upper peninsula will get some wind relief due to weeakening just before landfall and beyond.
Old 26-09-2022, 09:27   #24

Boat: ‘04 Hunter 44AC

We were supposed to close on buying our boat on Friday. It’s docked in a slip on Pass a Grille in St. Pete Beach. If anyone here is in the area and can give us sit reps as the storm nears, we would really appreciate it.

Name:	IMG_4984.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	264981

Name:	IMG_1095.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	264982
Old 26-09-2022, 09:28   #25

Currently a steady stream of boat traffic upstream in the Caloosahatchee River.

Upstream= further inland, further from predicted storm path and if past the Franklin lock, likely "storm surge proof".

SMART.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 10:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspd204 View Post
We were supposed to close on buying our boat on Friday. It’s docked in a slip on Pass a Grille in St. Pete Beach. If anyone here is in the area and can give us sit reps as the storm nears, we would really appreciate it.

Attachment 264981
Attachment 264982

WOW - well good news and bad. That dock your future boat is on (assuming that is it in the pic) will likely be inundated if storm surge is more than 6 feet (which is 50/50 right now for that area). I know it well as I grew up in St. Pete.

Good news is that you can delay your closing and re-assess the situation after the storm passes through. Hopefully all works out.
Old 26-09-2022, 10:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
WOW - well good news and bad. That dock your future boat is on (assuming that is it in the pic) will likely be inundated if storm surge is more than 6 feet (which is 50/50 right now for that area). I know it well as I grew up in St. Pete.

Good news is that you can delay your closing and re-assess the situation after the storm passes through. Hopefully all works out.

That is the slip that it’s in.

This is our 1st experience with a bigger boat purchase (brokers, survey, sea trial, etc.), it took us a while to even find the boat, and we feel like we’re already invested in it (I guess we really are). On top of all of that, we’re in Louisiana. We keep telling ourselves that it’s meant to be the boat will be fine.
Old 26-09-2022, 10:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspd204 View Post
That is the slip that it’s in.

This is our 1st experience with a bigger boat purchase (brokers, survey, sea trial, etc.), it took us a while to even find the boat, and we feel like we’re already invested in it (I guess we really are). On top of all of that, we’re in Louisiana. We keep telling ourselves that it’s meant to be the boat will be fine.
Is that a fixed dock or floating?

If floating those pilings look awfully short. Fixed is a whole other problem.

I think our pilings are too short also, but we are way up here in Virginia where the water temps are much cooler.

Tops of the piling were chest high when Hurricane Dorian passed maybe 65 miles offshore or so

We only got like 60-65 knot winds.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	264990  
Old 26-09-2022, 10:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Is that a fixed dock or floating?

If floating those pilings look awfully short. Fixed is a whole other problem.

I think our pilings are too short also, but we are way up here in Virginia where the water temps are much cooler.

Tops of the piling were chest high when Hurricane Dorian passed maybe 65 miles offshore or so

We only got like 60-65 knot winds.

Fixed…
Old 26-09-2022, 10:55   #30

dspd204-

You need to get the current owner to put fenders all around that boat and add lines. With the fixed dock it will get bounced around quite a bit.

Edit - I take back the comment on fenders. That boat needs fender boards IMO due to the dock and piling situation. Good luck!

Tags
hurricane