Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2023, 17:36   #46

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: New Zealand Sea Level Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I watched for the first time a documentary "Mission Blue" and I was very muched moved. Because, as with the observations of Dr. Sylvia Alice Earle I have observed in my lifetime the degredation of coral reefs and sea life. She's an amazing pioneer scientist in oceanography, biology , etc . Very well accomplished,. If you are unable to view the dicumenertty i'd urge you to read up on her.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Earle

Her documentary is on Netflix
https://www.netflix.com/title/703082...entIntent=true

And the mission blue web site
https://missionblue.org/

I naively thought to post on cruisers forum a rally of support amongst all sailors to help fund raising for her mission to create "HOPE SPOTS" , which are creating protected ocean areas similar to national parks and reserves as we do on land but instead in sensitive ocean habitats. Kind of like a community effort that goes beyond just forum information and banter.

Unfortunately reading the responses here I'm feeling defeated.

I just find it astounding that more of you are not alarmed by the loss of sea life and coral reefs. No matter your phylosophy or ideology, have you not noticed the decline? When I was was snorkeling and diving as a child and into my teens, and witnessing the present conditions. I noticed. Surely many of you have.

Dejectedly I'm wondering if there are enough of you here to support Mission Blue as a cruisers forum community and build upon it? We don't need consensus from all, just a core group. I'd like to think we'd make a difference.
======================================
thank you for these references.
timely too

currently cruising, in Pope's Island Marina MA.

have the opportunity to visit the National Parks Exhibits.

Surprised how little I knew about the history of almost extinction of the whale population, and in a very short time!!

She certainly is a remarkable person.

Thanks for these links.

cheers
Old 27-07-2023, 17:08   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: New Zealand Sea Level Change

CF is sailing forum on which you are very welcome to discuss sailing, boating and cruising activities. There are many alternative social media sites to discuss other subjects.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
New Zealand