Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2018, 10:02   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Marina evacuation - Forced anchor for hurricane

It appears, boat owners along the Carolina coasts could use our prayers.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 17:59   #47

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It appears, boat owners along the Carolina coasts could use our prayers.
Yup, I believe they do.

If you are still there, as your location indicates, stay safe!
Old 13-09-2018, 10:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Yup, I believe they do.

If you are still there, as your location indicates, stay safe!
Thanks! I think we will dodge the bullet in Mt. Pleasant. But it's not over till the fat lady sings.
Old 17-09-2018, 06:37   #49

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

In Florida, They can make you leave before the Hurricane Warning is issued. Everyone likes to quote the part of the law that states they cannot make you leave, but they neglect to post the part about your financial responsibility if you stay.

Common in Florida leases is a required hurricane plan, and release of the marina from liability to move you boat and anchor it out with the ground tackle you have.

Marinas are now including clauses where they get a lien on the vessel until damages to the facility are paid. If your boat is a loss, you'd be last in line for any payout.

Some marinas have a clause that you agree to pay the marina $x if you leave the boat in the marina for any named storm whether damage is caused or not.

I've been through this dance and have watched Marinas enforce this.
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:59   #50

Boat: Nordic 44

Many marinas also protect themselves from liability associated with your neglect, of whatever type, by making you the slipholder name them as additional insureds on your policy. So, then you and the marina should have a mutual interest in evecuating the marina when asked, aside from the practical, common sense reasons.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 07:04   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

We have multiple strong gales every year and usually at least one hurricane-force storm, on the South Coast of England.

I used to keep my boat on a mooring way up the Hamble River -- a far better place than any other I've ever had, to keep the boat in a storm.

Now I keep my boat in a marina in Cowes, which has many advantages, but protecting the boat in a storm is always a problem.

For the hurricane force winds, damage is inevitable unless you can spring the boat off the pontoon with lines from the off side, which is what I do. That is because the pontoons themselves move violently, and your boat may be heeled over 20 degrees, and there's no way to keep the fenders between you and the pontoon. If fenders get caught under the pontoon, this can rip out stanchions and life lines.

And that's no more than 70 knots, the most I've seen here. For a higher category storm, I just can't even imagine what that would be like in a marina. Time to head for the mangroves, or haul out. No way would I want my boat anywhere near a marina in a big hurricane. I would much prefer to be anchored with shore lines in different directions, or hauled out and tied down securely.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 08:15   #52

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1

Hurricane Harvey virtually destroyed the marina 100 yds from the bulkhead where my 36'Gulfstar was tied. I had recently sold it so it was not tied across the channel as I would have done and the sails were still on the boat(roller furled jib and main). But it lost only a solar panel and the Bimini which was still up! BUT 20 boats n the marina next to it were destroyed as the eye of the hurricane passed over. A building a mile inland that I own was destroyed by tornadoes embedded in the hurricane. There were at least 24 tornadoes embedded in that hurricane. Just no telling what will happen in a storm.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 08:26   #53

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

Florida.
It's the law. Can't make you leave if you have a lease.
Also Govt docks allow free tie up in tropical storm or worse.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 08:52   #54

The problem with anchoring is not necessarily your ground tackle but the other guys.
Old 17-09-2018, 09:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
Some people have told me that a marina can make you leave their marina if there is a hurricane. Can they do that? Even if I have a long term contract? Where would I even go?

Probably the worst place to be during a hurricane is in a marina.
To many don't prepare there boat for any kind of serious storm.
They have insurances they don't care. Storm coming, they walk away.

Saw that to many times. Irma was a good example here at Dinner key marina in FL. Boats where piled on top of each other. One break loose, the chain reaction start. And one will break loose cause the owner didn't do nothing.

Did ride 3 cat 4 hurricanes. Best scenario, find a small cove with no one one around. Set you anchors far out. 10 feet of water, you put 300 feet out. 2 on the bow 2 on the stern.

One thing I have learned about hurricanes. You know it is coming. From what direction it is ???. You only know when it's there and then it's to late.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:33   #56

It is people like yourself, who think, "oh I got insurance" that by having 'insurance' negates your responsiblity to protect your vessel, other vessels near you and the docks that you may be tied to.
You may also be a person who wonders why boat insurance is so expensive.....your question answers your own question.
Have you no consideration for others? their property, their boats that they may have spend years restoring, maintaining, and/or saving just to purchase.

I hate to be harsh, but folks like you should not be boaters.

And if you haven't read your policy.......you may find an 'act of god' clause when winds reach a certain threshold, which a hurricane fits into, they could reject a claim.
jzaraschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 12:18   #57

Boat: Swan 46

Not sure where all you FL folks are but I can till you there is another twist at least in Port Canaveral. There, if there is a named storm or hurricane and the Coast Guard (yes the folks that are supposed to protect us) declares the port "closed" then all vessels must leave. Failure to leave will result in fines that are computed by the hour and are potentially huge. The rule of course is intended to address commercial ships and cruise ships but it is applied to all boats in the port area. In our hurricane last year a handful of boats at my marina elected not to leave and were not only fined but their lease was immediately canceled. The fun never ends.
rfrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 13:45   #58

I grew up in a harbor where the individuals owned their moorings. Is that a thing of the past in the US. It worked out great for storms. A 300 mushroom anchor with chain and a pendulum buoy worked well for a 35' boat. I believe the spots were registered with whom I haven't the slightest. Water taxis would run for those that didn't have dockage for their tender. Blow you horn to get the taxi and pay a fee for the independent one. I suspect the Yacht club's was covered by dues?
Old 17-09-2018, 14:38   #59

I have a hurricane haul out contract with a local boat yard, it's not inexpensive, but the insurance company likes it and in my opinion it's definitely safer for the boat.
Capt Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 15:05   #60
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I’ve been through Matthew and Irma in a marina with floating docks. Minor damage from each storm for me. The fixed docks on the ICW did not fare as well. Lots of boats and docks sunk or destroyed from the surge and chop. I am fortunate for sure! In the past, I was at a fixed dock at Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island which also seems to do well with named storms. I have never been asked to leave either marina and it’s improtant to remove any canvas etc. to reduce wind signature. Haul out is always an option but no guarantee if the surge knocks your boat off the stands or the wind blows boats over like a stack of dominos.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, hurricane