Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Emergency, Disaster and Distress
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2024, 07:41   #31

Boat: Custom William Hand Ketch 36
Re: CPR - CardioPulmonary Resuscitation

Hi

Regard the AED discussion where somebody said you can get electrocuted administering the AED. You need to read Stryker co instructions which are on their website.

It is not true.

Even if you administer while wet or in water and touch the victim you get a slight tickle. After all. How could rescue personnel possibly work in rain etc after car accidents or military action ?

My surgeon friend claims the AED can revive from SCA, witness the young sports star last year who survived because of AED and instant full on med services.

Agreed it’s a grim prospect on a boat , but still worth having aboard .

Elcapt
Elcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 10:01   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcapt View Post
Hi

Regard the AED discussion where somebody said you can get electrocuted administering the AED. You need to read Stryker co instructions which are on their website.

It is not true.

Even if you administer while wet or in water and touch the victim you get a slight tickle. After all. How could rescue personnel possibly work in rain etc after car accidents or military action ?

Every single CPR class I have taken since AEDs were first issued, maybe two decades ago, has the person operating the AED to loudly state "clear" to everyone working on the patient and then visually checking to see they are not touching the patient before hitting the shock button. Why? To prevent a responder from being shocked and taking them down.

Moving the patient out of standing water was also taught.

From a boating perspective, as mentioned in this discussion, is there a risk to responders using an AED on a steel or aluminum deck? How about a metal floating dock? I don't know the answer but would sure like to know.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 10:13   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 33 Sloop

Should you buy and maintain an AED on board? The answer that I give to my Offshore Emergency Medicine students is yes, but only if you already have the best survival, safety, medical, navigation, ground tackle, and communication equipment that you can buy. It all has a better chance of saving your life than AED. Spend your money, first, where it is likely to have the greatest impact.

www.medofficer.net
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 10:33   #34

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
[I][SIZE=3]
Press in a quick rhythm, about 100 to 120 beats per minute. To stay in time, sing Stayin' Alive in your head
I forgot and used "I will Survive"

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 11:59   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
Should you buy and maintain an AED on board? The answer that I give to my Offshore Emergency Medicine students is yes, but only if you already have the best survival, safety, medical, navigation, ground tackle, and communication equipment that you can buy. It all has a better chance of saving your life than AED. Spend your money, first, where it is likely to have the greatest impact.
You confuse me so let me ask this again: with a crew who are not medical professionals and an ambulance and/or hospital days away from where you are, you recommend to use an AED? To what goal?

Everything I read about AED’s is that transport to hospital for further treatments must be expedient for any chance to survive -and- recover. If there is no professional medical assistance available, survival would equal to life as a plant.

Are those who write that wrong?

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 13:08   #36

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You confuse me so let me ask this again: with a crew who are not medical professionals and an ambulance and/or hospital days away from where you are, you recommend to use an AED? To what goal?

Everything I read about AED’s is that transport to hospital for further treatments must be expedient for any chance to survive -and- recover. If there is no professional medical assistance available, survival would equal to life as a plant.

Are those who write that wrong?
I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't it depend on the incident? What I assume are the most common uses of an AED, car accidents, heart attacks, etc. I would assume that immediate medical treatment is necessary.

But for a drowning, I would think that if you clear the lungs and perform CPR, then immediate medical attention is less important if an AED revives the person.

https://www.firstresponse-ed.com/blo...20dryer%20area.
Old 18-03-2024, 14:45   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't it depend on the incident? What I assume are the most common uses of an AED, car accidents, heart attacks, etc. I would assume that immediate medical treatment is necessary.

But for a drowning, I would think that if you clear the lungs and perform CPR, then immediate medical attention is less important if an AED revives the person.

https://www.firstresponse-ed.com/blo...20dryer%20area.
I don’t think an AED treats drowning…

Old 18-03-2024, 14:49   #38

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Did you follow the link?

Quote:
AEDs can be used on drowning victims and should be included in the resuscitation effort.
Old 18-03-2024, 14:54   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Did you follow the link?
No, I didn’t but now I see. I’m actually trained in resuscitation but I guess it was before AED’s came into the picture.

Edit: but I don’t think the members advocating to have an AED aboard have drowning in mind…

Old 18-03-2024, 19:23   #40

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
AEDs can be used in drowning if the victim has no pulse*.

*there’s a difference between “no pulse” and flatlined

(A flatline (NON-SHOCKABLE) ECG reveals no electrical activity and is reserved for asystole, whereas PEA reveals organized or semi-organized electrical activity in the (no pulse ) absence of a palpable pulse.

The main issue with drowning victims viability is what is sometimes called the “second drowning” which is when the victim gets pneumonia from salt water intrusion in their lungs. This requires heavy doses of IV antibiotics in a hospital setting immediately after being revived. This is never depicted in any of our favorite action movies where the drowning victim pops right back to life.

The most successful drowning victims are in cold water. Sometimes because they are actually hart attacks from the shock of cold water (so no salt water enters the lungs). Others are actually hypothermia deaths which can be very viable especially in younger patients.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote