Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2023, 06:33   #1

Cape lookout rescue

Do not know details but why would you anchor in Cape lookout bight as apposed to intercoastal anchorages in Beaufort or Morehead city? I think riding a tropical storm on a sailboat should be well thought out
mattnfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 07:20   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Cape lookout rescue

I saw a partial report on this and was wanting more information. Was trying to understand the situation.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 07:39   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Here's one story about this.

I've anchored out there before in moderate conditions, and I suppose you could call it "sheltered," but certainly not in tropical storm conditions. The surrounding land is very low and was probably mostly underwater with the storm surge, and there would be no protection from the wind. Who knows why they anchored there? The anchorages in Beaufort and Morehead City are also terrible in a tropical storm. There is no room to put out adequate scope, they are always crowded, the surrounding land is low and provides little wind protection, the reversing current makes everything difficult. I would have headed up the ICW to one of the creeks, if possible.
Old 24-09-2023, 07:58   #4

Thanks for the additional information. I took a quick look. Sounds like they got a bit nervous actually. Especially after dark. The occasional 10 footer in there would be bouncing that Catamaran all over the place.

I’m sure the boat is still there and just fine.

It appears the majority of the crew were kids, small children, so they probably just decided to get off in case it dragged or something.
Old 24-09-2023, 07:59   #5

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

So he decided to weather a potentially dangerous storm aboard his vessel WITH his three young children. Leave the children out of the bad decision making process.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2023, 08:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsend View Post
So he decided to weather a potentially dangerous storm aboard his vessel WITH his three young children. Leave the children out of the bad decision making process.

I mean, tropical storm and down? If you have the right anchoring tackle? It’s not that big of a deal in an anchorage/harbor. Yes, it’s not comfortable while the storm goes by, you bounce around like crazy, but the danger aspect really isn’t there.

Probably more danger in removing the kids from the boat and just hanging on and waiting until it’s over.
Old 24-09-2023, 13:26   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Why go there? Because there weren't any other boats there! One can put out all the scope one wants. Maybe there wasn't time for him/her to go further.

One time in the Golfo de California (Sea of Cortez), Jim left the "hurricane hole" of Puerto Escondido, and went to anchor out. Someone was anchoring unsafely, what was going to be upwind of our boat, and rather than waste time fighting, Jim and two or 3 other boats went to an anchorage where they'd have to move when the wind shift came, but was in their estimation, safer over all. It was a good thing, as it turned out, because the fishing boats on their re-bar anchors all dragged through the fleet.

I didn't like being away from Jim for this event, but it was my son's wedding, and i was there in CA for it.

There's a difference between imagined safety and actual safety.

Ann
Old 25-09-2023, 04:41   #8
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

Probably more danger in removing the kids from the boat and just hanging on and waiting until it’s over.
They anchored in a relatively open anchorage, not protected from the wind from all directions.

I guess the father did not realize that wind backed during a tropical storm.

It looks like child endangerment to me. Also, two school age children cruising during the school year. Brilliant judgment all around.

Please explain how the children would be safer on an anchored boat in an open anchorage during a tropical storm than onshore in a protected, sheltered location.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 05:07   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Interesting story about the rescue, too. Using parachute flares to light the way out, and the spotlight from a helicopter on the way back? Never heard of doing that before. I imagine their night vision was about useless the whole mission. Seems they put themselves at some additional risk, especially sending the helicopter out in a storm.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 05:58   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
It looks like child endangerment to me. Also, two school age children cruising during the school year. Brilliant judgment all around.

Please explain how the children would be safer on an anchored boat in an open anchorage during a tropical storm than onshore in a protected, sheltered location.
I don't know enough to make any judgment calls. Playing the devil's advocate, maybe they were arriving from offshore and needed to get to any port in a storm and thought it would be easier to get into Cape Lookout than to take the Beaufort channel? It would be better in there than offshore. Eventually the story will emerge as to what they were doing out there and what they were thinking.
Old 25-09-2023, 06:51   #11

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post

We don't know all of the facts... no need to start with the parent shaming.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 06:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
They anchored in a relatively open anchorage, not protected from the wind from all directions.

I guess the father did not realize that wind backed during a tropical storm.

No problem. With the children safely inside the boat, it can bounce up and down in some pretty serious chop and the kids will come out just fine.

It’s not like it was a hurricane or anything. Wind wasn’t an issue. There were no swells in that protected water. It was just a lot of chop. Article says 6-8ft chop with the occasional 10 footer.

Uncomfortable? Yes. It sucks. It’s very annoying to sit through that. I’ve done it many many times through tropical storms and a late spring storm with hurricane force winds in the northeast in 2020. It’s difficult to sleep. It drives you a bit crazy. But it ends.

Removing the kids from the boat risks dropping them in the water, losing them, them drowning, etc. Not to mention there is a small risk to the rescuing party. As you saw in the article they were navigating by flare and having to use a helicopter to light everything. That’s a mess.

I’m sure the boat is sitting right there at anchor where they left it.
Old 25-09-2023, 07:30   #13

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
We don't know all of the facts... no need to start with the parent shaming.
===================================

not again!!

thought the issue was resolved?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3771750
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 07:55   #14

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

This coast is no place to be with a tall mast when a storm approaches. Most cats over 45' cannot get into Core Creek or Adams Creek in the ICW, where bridges are less than 65'. Don't know if that was the problem is this case.

This storm popped up out of nowhere, with very little warning, headed straight for the NC south coast, and these folks had to choose quickly between the Cape Lookout Bight or Beaufort. Neither is any place to be in a storm.

It would have been better, from my safe and distant vantage point, to have gone for Beaufort and taken the chances in Taylor Creek, but it is narrow, has ripping current, shelves up steeply, and many other boats. At least the people could be sheltered onshore there. The Bight is too deep, very remote, and has too much fetch in all directions. It's a great spot in settled weather, but not place to be in a storm.

The only other real option is the Masonboro Inlet, 70 nm west, where you can get inside behind Wrightsville Beach and stretch out some long anchor lines. Lots of boats in there, also, but it would be the best place, IMHO.

Think hard before you buy a tall-masted boat. You will exclude access to the ICW - a very important option when traveling up and down the East Coast.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 07:57   #15

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

as a point of interest on this particular storm.

on the 21st, my friend aboard the NOAA research vessel Pisces on return from a research cruise from Norfolk was turned back and redirected to Norfolk as the Morehead City Harbor was closed.

Don't have more details and found this information surprising, suspect the inlet was considered “dangerous”?

This brings the issue for those who do coastal sailing and have the idea of seeking refuge in stormy or threatening conditions that these inlets may not be available, and plan B needs to be replaced by plan C.

=============================

each skipper makes his/her best decision at the time of the event, we need to appreciate having this information as an educational tool, passing judgment based on incomplete information does not add to better boating.

=========================

on the issue of parental responsibilities and experiences, as noted in my previous posting this was a contentious issue resulting in the thread being closed.for good reason, hope we do not go back to it.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue