Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 08:05   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Cape lookout rescue

Quote:
This coast is no place to be with a tall mast when a storm approaches. Most cats over 45' cannot get into Core Creek or Adams Creek in the ICW, where bridges are less than 65'. Don't know if that was the problem is this case.
Hadn't thought of that. Could have been the problem. EDIT: The cat was reported to be 38 feet, so very likely they could fit under the bridges.

I'm pretty sure the winds would have been from the southeast based on the track of the storm. Possibly they could have turned tail and run before the wind back into the Cheasapeake before its arrival. Tons of hurricane holes there. You will never hear salespeople at the boat shows telling prospective buyers that the big boat they are interested in basically eliminates half the East Coast as a viable cruising ground because either the mast is too high or the keel is too deep, or both in many cases.
Old 25-09-2023, 08:18   #17

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=derfy;3826447]This coast is no place to be with a tall mast when a storm approaches. Most cats over 45' cannot get into Core Creek or Adams Creek in the ICW, where bridges are less than 65'. Don't know if that was the problem is this case.

This storm popped up out of nowhere, with very little warning, headed straight for the NC south coast, and these folks had to choose quickly between the Cape Lookout Bight or Beaufort. Neither is any place to be in a storm.

It would have been better, from my safe and distant vantage point, to have gone for Beaufort and taken the chances in Taylor Creek, but it is narrow, has ripping current, shelves up steeply, and many other boats. At least the people could be sheltered onshore there. The Bight is too deep, very remote, and has too much fetch in all directions. It's a great spot in settled weather, but not place to be in a storm.

======================================
you bring three important points in my estimation, including the mast height plus

the difficulties to project a workable forecast at this time of the year and the common reference to Cape Lookout Bligh as an anchoring stop.
being a resident of this area always shake my head reading accounts on boats heading for this spot after long passages with exhausted crew instead of going inside to safer options.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 08:27   #18

Quote:
This storm popped up out of nowhere, with very little warning, headed straight for the NC south coast, and these folks had to choose quickly between the Cape Lookout Bight or Beaufort. Neither is any place to be in a storm.
The possibility of a storm had been discussed on various weather sites and by the National Hurricane Center for many days prior. Plenty of time to alter course and change plans. Here's what the Eyewall email said on September 19:
Quote:
Southeast subtropical shenanigans

The general theme for this week will be: Upper low forms over Florida, drifts offshore to the east, undergoes a top-down process to form a surface low which may develop into a storm as it tracks north toward the Carolinas. It would probably be a subtropical storm, but the impacts would essentially be similar to a tropical storm, so I don't want folks to get hung up on technicalities here. There will likely be a coastal storm this weekend that tracks north from Florida toward the Carolinas. Exactly where, how strong, etc. remains to be determined.

The impacts will probably include locally heavy rain, rough surf, possible beach erosion, and gusty winds on the South and North Carolina coasts.
Old 25-09-2023, 08:50   #19

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
===================================

not again!!

thought the issue was resolved?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3771750
You lost me.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 10:38   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I have ridden out gales up to 50 knots in the Lookout Bight, as it DOES give 360 protection. Never saw more than 1 meter waves. Much better than the chaos in Taylor Creek.

I expect the boat is right where they anchored it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:06   #21

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron E View Post
You lost me.
=========================
sorry

poorly redacted on my part.

the issue of parenting and children cruising was extensively discussed (I posted the link to the thread)that became a contentious one, eventually closed.

Seeing the issue of “child endangerment” prompted my response,” not again” agree with yours comment.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:16   #22

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
=========================
sorry

poorly redacted on my part.

the issue of parenting and children cruising was extensively discussed (I posted the link to the thread)that became a contentious one, eventually closed.

Seeing the issue of “child endangerment” prompted my response,” not again” agree with yours comment.
Thanks for the clarification Davil.
I briefly looked at the link and thought it was a discussion about homeschooling vs. public school.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:32   #23

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I have ridden out gales up to 50 knots in the Lookout Bight, as it DOES give 360 protection. Never saw more than 1 meter waves. Much better than the chaos in Taylor Creek.

I expect the boat is right where they anchored it.
Exactly
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 12:47   #24

I dont know WHY they were out there, but that looks like pretty good protection if you were caught out there and needed refuge. Almost ducked in there to get out of a Hatteras blow against the Gulf Stream once, but it was blowing 35+ and getting dark all at once, not to mention the shoals as you get near. I started heading towrd the Lookout refuge but finally decided it was too dark and totally unfamilar with the area and blowing too hard to concentrate on the charts etc.
Probably should have kept on though as got our butt's kicked that night and ended up going in at Wrightsville Beach at daybreak.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2023, 13:38   #25

Quote:
That's good to know, but this was a tropical storm right on the edge of being a hurricane pushing a storm surge ahead of it. The 360-degree protection is from land that is only a foot or two above normal high tide. It would have been pretty rough in there, and with darkness it always seems a lot worse than it is. Plus, having the kids onboard would have been a big worry. Who knows what type of anchoring gear they had, or how much experience they have.
Old 25-09-2023, 13:41   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Lookout Bight is not a bad spot but Beaufort Inlet near Morehead City is so close might has well have gone in there and had a few choices.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 07:02   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Sailor View Post
They anchored in a relatively open anchorage, not protected from the wind from all directions.

I guess the father did not realize that wind backed during a tropical storm.

It looks like child endangerment to me. Also, two school age children cruising during the school year. Brilliant judgment all around.

Please explain how the children would be safer on an anchored boat in an open anchorage during a tropical storm than onshore in a protected, sheltered location.
What a Dick , and I don’t normally use profanity you wasn’t there you don’t know the situation or what had happened in the events leading up to this. Also who are you to tell him wether his kids can go cruising in the school year. It’s called Homeschool and millions of parents do it !!!! I have three Teenagers that are studying for their GED being 14-16 and they cruise with us full time. They are better behaved and well adjust in comparison to any child attending school and learning to be woke and not understanding history. They learnt more about the history of our great country than any kid ever did in school.

I had friends in Newbern with a child on board docked and their boat sustained so much damage that they had to be evacuated by the fire brigade. Their boat ended up under a finger pier at one point.

I’ve been in 50knot winds of keywest anchored and 50 knot winds docked in Norfolk. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

At least anchored your pointing into the wind and waves. Docked you run the risk of healing over. And actually hitting the boat next to you or it’s been known for docks to break off.

Sorry this post really got under my skin.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 07:10   #28

Boat: Seaward 22

Take my 22’ Seaward out there on our beach vacations. One only has to look at the docks and buildings that were destroyed in that area to get a clear picture on how bad it can get.

There is a solid ferry dock by the light house and bathrooms there that are open into December. There is also a sheltered camping spot off the boardwalk between the light house and parking lot.

I always check the forecast before launching from Radio Island and typically come back under small craft advisories.

Charts in that area, as well as the backside of Shackleford are worthless. Huge sand pile on the outside of R4 last time I was out there ( chart has nothing around R4).
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 08:06   #29

Boat: Seaward 22

Click image for larger version

Name:	4AB97C16-7781-4EAF-883A-821909D19AC9.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	281535

Couldn’t find the dock picture, short walk from there to bathrooms and welcome center.. Another shot of the sand pile near R4.Click image for larger version

Name:	F44DB7D2-1EFD-425B-87CE-7E1ADF519684.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	281536
Seaward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 08:06   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Here's one story about this.

I've anchored out there before in moderate conditions, and I suppose you could call it "sheltered," but certainly not in tropical storm conditions. The surrounding land is very low and was probably mostly underwater with the storm surge, and there would be no protection from the wind. Who knows why they anchored there? The anchorages in Beaufort and Morehead City are also terrible in a tropical storm. There is no room to put out adequate scope, they are always crowded, the surrounding land is low and provides little wind protection, the reversing current makes everything difficult. I would have headed up the ICW to one of the creeks, if possible.
I live in Beaufort and frequently sail to Cape Lookout. It has one of the top 10 beaches in the US. You are absolutely correct that the land is very low. During high tide it looks like the entire east side is open. It is not!

For many starting offshore passages from farther inland will anchor for the night before setting offshore. IT IS NOT A HURRICANE HOLE! I would never recommend staying in the bight during a storm. As you and others have pointed out there are many places not far inland where there are safe anchorages during storms.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue