Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 08:24   #16

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23
Re: WTB: 40-50' Queen aft cabin blue water cruiser

I think there is/was a 39 +/- foot Catalina that had a comfortable aft cabin. It might have to be beefed up a bit for blue water, but the price should be right.
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:25   #17

Coconuts:

It'd be easier to give you guidance if you told us what your sailing experience, and that of your wife, is. Would you do that?

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:54   #18

I have a HYLAS 44 1991 FOR SALE
€50. 000.Of course she needs some work
but...
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 09:18   #19

Boat: Seaward 22

Finding all of your wants in a $100k budget will be a big challenge. Under 20yrs old is nearly impossible. What do you mean by blue water? Are you looking to island hop the bahamas/caribbean? If so, any production boat in good condition will do.

Good luck.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 09:31   #20
jas
Wonderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wellington 44 cutter rig

How about a Wellington 44 cutter? Queen aft cabin. Been in refit for four years and is rebuilt from the rudder, centerboard to top of the rigging. Just finishing up install of headliner. You pick softgoods fabrics and radios. Complete rewiring, new awlgrip, standing and running rigging, new s/s arch w/solar, new s/s life rails, pushpit, pulpit and swim platform. 3 new a/c's, two heads, new bow thruster, etc. pm at bsup@bellsouth.net.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 10:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Double your budget and find a 470 Catalina
Coconuts333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 10:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKo View Post
I think there is/was a 39 +/- foot Catalina that had a comfortable aft cabin. It might have to be beefed up a bit for blue water, but the price should be right.
thanks!
Old 28-08-2020, 10:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkum View Post
I have a HYLAS 44 1991 FOR SALE
€50. 000.Of course she needs some work
but...
Nice boat! please send me the information regarding it, Thanks
Old 28-08-2020, 11:01   #24

There is a Cape North 43 on Yachtworld that might meet your needs.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975/ted-brewer-cape-north-43-3544969/

I own one of these and can attest that they are a legitimate blue water-capable design.
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:06   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
If this is your budget, you will have to adjust your wish list. Real “Blue Water” vessels which check off your requirements begin at one million dollars.
Seriously. Till then.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, a manatee with an empty cookie jar.
A million? US dollars? Seriously?

Gee I know of a couple dozen, serious, round the great capes kind of blue water, boats that fit the OPs specs that would sell for 25% of that in ready to go condition.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:09   #26

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Three thoughts: 1) Take a look at a Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster. In your price range. Nice aft cabin and galley. Center cockpit has excellent visibility. While not typically thought to be a blue water boat, ours has been to Trinidad and back and to the Bahamas many times. 2) Our experience in the used boat market has been that, unfortunately, the condition of most of the boats for sale will not meet your expectations. This has nothing to do with the brand or manufacturer or age. It is all about how the owners have maintained and upgraded (in most cases neglected). I have been told and found to be true, you are really buying the previous owners care as well as the boat. Interestingly, the more expensive and high end boats are not immune. 3) Must be patient to find one equipped like you want and in good condition.

Lastly, I sent you a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AE40E8D-E9F7-45AC-926C-4433F6B7507D.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	222155  
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:14   #27

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconuts333 View Post
My wife and I are looking for a 40-50ish foot fiberglass hull blue water cruiser. She prefers the queen aft cabin for a live-aboard. We have looked at several Irwin 40's, a Morgan Marek, and Stamas 44 and are considering one. We like the looks of a Gulfstar but have not seen one in person. Any other suggestions or boats for sale on the forum? We have only started our research and are open to suggestions and advice due to the large number of boats available. Its hard to research them all and could use some free advice.
we are looking for something more sail ready and not a fixer upper as we are retired and desire to sail sooner than later. Our budget is around 100K depending on condition, electronics, and amenities. Ideally, we would like AC, water maker, nice galley, fridge/freezer, hot water heater, washing machine, furling jib, self tailing winches, cockpit control, but none of these are a must. We are located in Texas.
Look forward to visiting with everyone!
In your budget, I'd be looking for a center cockpit in the $80.000 range considering any boat you buy will need some upgrades. Your wish list is not all that impossible as these things can be added later as you find you really need them but a boat in the size you're looking at should have space to accommodate them. You'll find that roller furling and self tailing winches are the norm now on most boats. Hallberg's are great but usually outside your budget. Get one with a sound hull and bulkheads, good motor and dry decks as these are the high ticket items to fix after purchase. Be prepared to locate a good surveyor where ever you look (some of these guys are booked up well in advance. Here's an interesting one well within your budget. Aside from the high engine hours, it seems to tick a lot of your boxes. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...ar-50-3558079/
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:57   #28

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Did OP say he was looking for a new or used boat?

We all have different definitions of "Blue Water Boat" but I think for a 1980ish boat with a good reputation, with used but useable gear in decent condition, ready to go across oceans, you could easily have all of those wishes for under $200K.

And 50' not necessary. Plenty of good layouts with queen berth in aft cabin on boats 40' and up.
Old 28-08-2020, 13:27   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

not sure where in Tx you are- i am in Kemah and have a gulfstar 47 (not for sale) that i would be happy to show you if you wanted an idea what one would be like inside-- under 20 yrs is going to be a problem- i would look for an older boat that was decently cared for- will have stuff on it that is usable and will be easier to get your best compromise of features and budget-- also may want to look at a gulfstar 50- Jon Kretschmer named it as one of the 10 boats he would take around the world and i trust his judgement. PM me if interested and i can set up some time to show you what i like and dont like and maybe some things that are good and bad on older gulfstars.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 13:48   #30

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

You have looked at a Morgan 44 (Nelson Marek)? I have one and maybe my bar is not set so high but we’ve been sailing and cruising one since 2007 and I honestly have to say I would not swap her for anything else in the price bracket.

See one in Florida, (you probably already have) here:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...an-44-3616943/

Perhaps the price is still somewhat negotiable to get nearer your budget. The spec appears quite close to your desires but to be frank, I think you wish list for $100k is perhaps bordering on “dream sheet”? Whilst there is no indication of how modern things are, this boat appears better equipped than mine was and we did a 7000nm voyage on ours 3 weeks after buying her.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, cabin, cruise, cruiser, water