Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2023, 21:41   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Hi Miles, I never saw them but until the last few years I've been living in BC Canada. I was based there for 25 years. I came back to Australia to see the sun and birds and swim in warm water before I fall off the perch. The boat I bought in Tasmania would not survive more than 50 kts so I have to pick the right weather window for crossing Bass Strait. The SE corner of Australia can be a very nasty place at times as the current often exceeds 3 kts and a southerly wind against that can be deadly.
Could we be talking about Peter and Bev on Hornpipe, an Adams 45 that we spent some time with in New Caledonia some years back (1997?)? Very engaging folks with lots of Kiwi can-do... home design and built watermaker, made from mostly agricultural parts, painted their topsides in the water, at anchor in Noumea... in ONE DAY. Real cruisers IMO, and fun to be with. Last seen in Oz a few years later IIRC.

So many memories...

Jim
Old 02-04-2023, 08:15   #107

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply. You nailed it, that has to be them. We lost track of them with our crazy schedule and detour to Alaska for 10 years. I know they worked in Australia for many years. I will put something out on the general sailing forum aND SEE IF anyone has seem them recently. Thanks for your help and being there. Cheers Myles
Old 02-04-2023, 08:25   #108

Thanks, we can't seem to sell it at any price so may put it up for auction. We are almost 80 years so time for bluer pastures. Thanks Myles
Old 02-04-2023, 16:57   #109

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28
Re: 1979 Kaiser Gale Force Cutter. $87,900

Hi Myles, The Gale Force 34 is an amazing boat. I had the joy of helping my friend move his Gale Force from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico to Puerto Vallarta. The quality of the build, and the gentle steering in 12 foot following seas was spectacular.
If I could trade my Bristol Channel Cutter 28, and my Norsea 27 both for your Gale Force I would jump on it like a duck on a Junebug. But I’m sure you don’t want two really nice smaller boats.
It’s tough to just wait out the economy until prices improve.
I was happy to pay near top price on my two boats, as they were ready to sail with limited maintenance and upgrades.
Good luck with your sale.
Old 02-04-2023, 18:29   #110

HI zugbug, thanks for the thumbs up on MIRAGE. It has been a great boat but nobody has ever seen one. I myself only saw one 30 years ago at Port Ludlow Washington. It was the first one on the West Coast. We liked the Bristol Channel 28 Cutter, but you had to do your own interior when we were looking in the late 70's for a boat. Its funny we had the boat at San Carlos in late summer about 1998 when it was hot. I uttered an epic exclamation on my way to the shower which was "Did you leave me any cold water?? Ha.

Anyway I think we are giving up selling the boat and just doing a "Best Offer". There is a thread for boats 30K and under but with our luck no one there will be interested!! I just don't think anyone wants cruising boats anymore at any price it seems. Quality and equipment are not in demand!! Cheers Myles
Old 02-04-2023, 20:34   #111

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 32 (Richards)

Miles -- two questions: How do you change your sea water pump impeller (access from the front, or behind the alternator, or what?); and how do you get at the stuffing box to inspect/adjust it?
Old 03-04-2023, 19:03   #112

Hi, the impeller is on the front port side of the engine and easy to access, while the alternator is on the front starboard side of the engine. The stuffing box I get to is done by putting a large pillow on top the engine (unless you have awfully strong ribs) laying down on the top of the engine and using two large wrenches to do the adjustment just back of the engine. I am 6 ft. 2 in. and 210 lbs and manage it without too much difficulty. Cheers Myles
Old 04-04-2023, 17:04   #113

Boat: Nor'sea 27, BCC 28
Re: 1979 Kaiser Gale Force Cutter. $87,900

Hi Myles, just a quick question. Are you able to gain rear engine access through the port and starboard cockpit lockers?
My friends Gale Force had a water intrusion problem that showed up when cruising from Loreto to La Paz.
We were running downwind in 30knot winds, 8-12ft following seas for 3 days.
We searched everywhere three times before finding the bronze shaft log bottom bolt had loosened.
Pulling the Vetus muffler from the starboard locker have great access to the transmission, shaft and seal. After tightening the bolt, the leak stopped.
The access plates were 3/4 inch marine epoxy coated and painted with white bilge paint.
Unbelievable quality of build.
Once assembled, with no further leaking, I found we could access this bolt with the engine cover in place. Removing the rear floorboard (1 inch marine plywood with teak and Holly sole fixed). There was a gap that allowed the 9/16in socket with 4 feet of extensions to slide under the engine, and guide onto the nut.
Maybe excellent engineering or blind luck.
The boat will be pulled this summer, and the shaft log pulled to clean and rebed for another 40 years of use.
Really an amazing boat.
I’m counting my Nickles and Penny’s to see if I can come up with money for boat number #3
Thanks! Mike
Old 04-04-2023, 19:58   #114

Hi, Zugbug99, I am traveling be home in a couple days. Briefly, yes you can access engine from port lazarette, but I do it all just laying on engine and accessing the area behind engine without problems. I also spent many hours cleaning the bilge of every piece of metal that went down there for 40 years with no problems and also cleaned both diesel tanks from port holes finding little to no crud in the tanks. The only thing unusual with the engine area was one winter birds went down the vents, build a nest, hatched their young, and left a clean nest. Never saw or heard them, not quite like some of the tenants over the years.. Spend your dimes and nickels, you will only need pennies if you have any interest in MIRAGE. Thanks Myles
Old 07-04-2023, 19:38   #115

Hi, Zugbug99, just thought I would let you know our broker friend sold a Bristol Channel Cutter 28 for a lot more than we are asking for MIRAGE. It iS GREAT BOAT, WELL KNOWN, and beloved by many boat fans. Unfortunately for us, our Gale Force 34 is an unknown boat except for a few insiders in the industry who have been around for many many years. Apologies Myles
Old 08-04-2023, 23:53   #116

I was down at the dock there the other day looking at it. She really is a beautiful boat. I'm wondering how easy it would be to find parts seeing as it's a (semi)custom built boat. But, I wouldn't be ready to go offshore cruising on it for at least a year and just don't want to pay the $800/mo slip fee cap sante charges for a boat that size And of course, when you go to sell it....it will be hard to sell as we're seeing here. I really do hope you find someone who will enjoy her to her full potential.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:44   #117

Hello, Thanks for your interest. There is a yard on Whidbey that charges $220 a month for storage, very safe and secure. Parts are not a problem, everything is standard. No sales tax, and ready to sail away. Reselling boats outside the US was easy in New Zealand and in Mexico if it was ready to sail without any expense. We had lots of offers but couldn't part with MIRAGE at the time. Anyway Happy Easter keep on looking, best of luck. If you find a comparable boat for same or less let me know. Cheers Myles and Sandy
Old 10-04-2023, 21:47   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmirage View Post
Hello, Thanks for your interest. There is a yard on Whidbey that charges $220 a month for storage, very safe and secure. Parts are not a problem, everything is standard. No sales tax, and ready to sail away. Reselling boats outside the US was easy in New Zealand and in Mexico if it was ready to sail without any expense. We had lots of offers but couldn't part with MIRAGE at the time. Anyway Happy Easter keep on looking, best of luck. If you find a comparable boat for same or less let me know. Cheers Myles and Sandy
How do I get in touch, would like to see your boat Mirage??
Old 11-04-2023, 09:14   #119

Hi Brian, you can reach out to me on our email address which is yachtmirage@yahoo.com

Thanks Myles and Sandy
Old 18-04-2023, 00:31   #120

Perhaps I am a little biased since I own a Gale Force as well, but just wanted to comment that those boat are very well built, from the best materials and still looks good after many years. Based on the photos Mirage looks in great condition and well equipped, and I am sure her next owners will enjoy her very much. We have our small Gale Force owners group and if anyone have any questions feel free to pm me.
Good luck,
Sgel
Closed Thread

Tags
ais, blue water, cruise, cruiser, cutter, water