Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2022, 12:08   #76
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2018
Location: Sisters Oregon
Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II
Posts: 202
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
dont see it on yacht world
Are you looking for a KAISER? It comes up for me?
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 13:56   #77
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 23
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

found it thank u ill be on widbey soon my family lives there i think ill look at this one
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 06:51   #78
cruiser

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fairfield Harbour, New Bern, NC
Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Posts: 1,322
Images: 1
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

I’ve read all of this thread with great interest because I am considering trying to sell my own schooner. I use the word considering because I don’t need to sell her. I’ve long thought the best time to sell anything is when you don’t need to, and there is no requirement to pander to tire-kickers, or in the case of a boat, couch dreamers.
I have been in real estate marketing for about the same number of years as the OP’S have owned their boat, and there are many similarities in the selling process, between boats and houses.
One of the worst things a seller can do is reduce his price so publicly. Okay, you drop the price because nobody bites, but it shouldn’t be advertised to all and sundry as the OP has done here. A new prospect should just see the current asking price, not read about a stream of reductions.
Parting with a boat in which they have had so many adventures, over more years than some buyers might have been alive, is bound to be a wrench. I know this because I have also put my heart and soul into the upkeep and many renovations and modifications that I have installed over twelve years. However, unlike the OP’S I don’t care a jot who buys it. This notion about it going to a “nice home” is a pipe dream, it’s not a puppy. What are they going to do, decline a good offer from a one-legged pirate, just because they don’t like the look of him?
I well remember seeing a very dear boat disappearing around a bend in the river Orwell in England, and I never saw or heard about it ever again. We had lived aboard for eight years and we were sad, but we quickly got over it, as we bought a new car with the proceeds.
I also agree with some respondents that this forum, or similar ones, is not the place to waste time on, especially with such long responses as the OP’S have made. If I was a buyer, I would see it as increasing desperation, and negotiate accordingly.
There’s nothing wrong with advertising that your boat is for sale, especially if you have been active on a forum, and it is well known—as Britannia is. But that should be that, and the main emphasis should be on the many boat sales websites.
I sincerely hope they find a buyer who they like, and at a price they are happy with. Perhaps they will let us all know how it finally pans out.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 07:59   #79
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 22,818
Images: 3
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Iíve read all of this thread with great interest because I am considering trying to sell my own schooner. I use the word considering because I donít need to sell her. Iíve long thought the best time to sell anything is when you donít need to, and there is no requirement to pander to tire-kickers, or in the case of a boat, couch dreamers.
I have been in real estate marketing for about the same number of years as the OPíS have owned their boat, and there are many similarities in the selling process, between boats and houses.
One of the worst things a seller can do is reduce his price so publicly. Okay, you drop the price because nobody bites, but it shouldnít be advertised to all and sundry as the OP has done here. A new prospect should just see the current asking price, not read about a stream of reductions.
Parting with a boat in which they have had so many adventures, over more years than some buyers might have been alive, is bound to be a wrench. I know this because I have also put my heart and soul into the upkeep and many renovations and modifications that I have installed over twelve years. However, unlike the OPíS I donít care a jot who buys it. This notion about it going to a ďnice homeĒ is a pipe dream, itís not a puppy. What are they going to do, decline a good offer from a one-legged pirate, just because they donít like the look of him?
I well remember seeing a very dear boat disappearing around a bend in the river Orwell in England, and I never saw or heard about it ever again. We had lived aboard for eight years and we were sad, but we quickly got over it, as we bought a new car with the proceeds.
I also agree with some respondents that this forum, or similar ones, is not the place to waste time on, especially with such long responses as the OPíS have made. If I was a buyer, I would see it as increasing desperation, and negotiate accordingly.
Thereís nothing wrong with advertising that your boat is for sale, especially if you have been active on a forum, and it is well knownóas Britannia is. But that should be that, and the main emphasis should be on the many boat sales websites.
I sincerely hope they find a buyer who they like, and at a price they are happy with. Perhaps they will let us all know how it finally pans out.


Funny you say that but brokers commonly advertise as ď price reduced ď where the asking price has changed
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 08:41   #80
cruiser

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fairfield Harbour, New Bern, NC
Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Posts: 1,322
Images: 1
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

I know they do, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It’s done automatically on the housing multiple listing services, but that’s supposed to be seen only by realtors. It implies that the previous price(s) were too high, and that’s not a good thing to advertise to any prospective buyer.
Another thing I didn’t mention is that sellers invariably talk too much about their pride and joy. We called it a salesmen’s diarrhea of the mouth, and I’ve known new salesmen to actually sell themselves out of a deal, instead of putting themselves in the position of the buyer and listening instead of talking.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2022, 08:58   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10,977
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I know they do, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. Itís done automatically on the housing multiple listing services, but thatís supposed to be seen only by realtors. It implies that the previous price(s) were too high, and thatís not a good thing to advertise to any prospective buyer.
Another thing I didnít mention is that sellers invariably talk too much about their pride and joy. We called it a salesmenís diarrhea of the mouth, and Iíve known new salesmen to actually sell themselves out of a deal, instead of putting themselves in the position of the buyer and listening instead of talking.
It's done to generate interest. Presumably, they are getting little or no interest, so a boat that has been on the market for 6-12months raises red flags about why. Is there something wrong with it? Is the seller unrealistic and obnoxious? Why?

A seller who has lowered their price and it is advertised is admitting the reason it was on the market so long is they had the price too high. Also, they more likely open to reasonable negotiation.

Nothing wrong with that, especially when you have a boat without a lot of good comparable to generate a solid market value.

But I'll take a bunch of lowball offers over no offers any day of the week. I don't have to accept lowball offers but then it becomes my choice. If I'm being unrealistic and get no offers, I have no choice.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2022, 23:49   #82
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 49
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Hi and thanks for your astute observations. I just want to wish everyone happy Thanksgiving and good luck finding your dreamboat. My thoughts are drifting back to CABO SAN LUCAS the the wonderful holiday times there. Walking sunny beaches, great cruisers, cheap beer and Tequila, helping out orphanages, hearing the Mariachas, living the good life when you are young, and the Turkey dinners. It would be great to hear from some people down South. Just GO as soon as you can. You won't ever regret it. Cheers Myles and Sandy
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 20:23   #83
Registered User
 
picklesandjesse's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Northern NSW Australia. Boat currently in Beauty Point Tasmania. Will sail home when weather permits.
Boat: Adams 35
Posts: 577
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
It is listed on Yachtworld with a broker at $66K.

Unfortunately for the seller there is another one on the market for $35K, that one is not in the same league but it is half the price!

There is one in the GGR race, it is being sailed by the only American still in the race. Unfortunately he is pretty far back in the standings.
And he's had problems with his bowsprit too. But he was able to fix it. If he finishes the race your boat will be in high demand for the next GGR. By the way there's a boat for sale on the East Coast at the present time that was a 100k boat a few years ago on the West Coast asking 25k. Guess the winter doesn't help. Maybe sail it to Australia?? but I'm 78. Still might flip a coin.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2022, 23:41   #84
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 49
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Hi, good to hear from an Aussie. I can say a few things like the market for used Gale Force 34 is $20K to $110K. I have the comps. Secondly I bought it to get from Point A to B with minimal headaches. Third get a Westsail 32, it won the Transpac Race in the 70's from LA to Honolulu on corrected time and some are great buys. Lastly keep on making your wonderful Ginger Beer (Bundaberg), and I'll buy next trip to Australia, what a wonderful place and adventures we had there before Crocadile Dundee made it. My wife and I miss Steve Irvin, the most heroic person I never met, we were in the Yukon when we heard his untimely passing age 44. Thanks for being our allies both Kiwis and Aussies.
We are anxious to get back to your part of the world. Regards Myles (78 also)
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 15:24   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 49
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Hello Sleepy, look me up when you get to Whidbey Island. THX
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 16:08   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 1980 Choate CF40
Posts: 112
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmirage View Post
Hello Sleepy, look me up when you get to Whidbey Island. THX
I'm not far from Whidbey island myself.
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 16:26   #87
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 6,297
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmirage View Post
Hi, good to hear from an Aussie. I can say a few things like the market for used Gale Force 34 is $20K to $110K. I have the comps.
Where did you get your comps ? soldboats.com does not agree.
Only 5 such models have sold through Yacht World since 2012 and none of them sold even close to $100K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	270240  
__________________
If you're not laughing, you're not doin' it right.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2023, 22:32   #88
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 49
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Hi,the two comps were sold prior to 2012. Only 30+ boats were ever made so you don't see them very often. There is a Gale Force 34 in the Golden Globe round the world race. The captain single handed the boat one day 174 nautical miles. I don't go that fast but I tend to hit large objects in the way. THX Myles
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 23:59   #89
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 49
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Hi boatpoker

I thought about your comments a little more on pricing. When I had the selling price really high, I received numerous offers (all of which fell thru for all the reasons numerated herein); and when I lowered the price to almost half of what the listing broker suggested, received no offers but lots of interest. All I know for sure is I'm pushing 80 years old and MIRAGE will be around a lot longer than I will. Thanks for your comments, still hoping to hear from some Kiwis and Aussies. Its a lot nicer to spend a year on a boat getting Down Under than hopping a plane and getting there in 12 hours. Myles
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 20:28   #90
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 74
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
It is listed on Yachtworld with a broker at $66K.



Unfortunately for the seller there is another one on the market for $35K, that one is not in the same league but it is half the price!



There is one in the GGR race, it is being sailed by the only American still in the race. Unfortunately he is pretty far back in the standings.


The fact that the other one on the market is not in the same league makes itís half price point irrelevant. If youíre in the market for a boat and compare two (or even several) always, ALWAYS buy the one that has been meticulously maintained. The fact that this one is a one owner/original owner vessel is a huge amount of Ďpeace-of-mindí icing on the cake and is well worth the additional $30K.
flyboyerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ais, blue water, cruise, cruiser, cutter, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: Ready to go from panama/florida/ caribean. To europe or anywhere i can take a flight Evaluna Crew Positions: Wanted & Available 2 01-07-2017 04:12
What makes a boat a go-anywhere blue-water cruiser? trbgld Monohull Sailboats 82 20-12-2016 10:36
Crew Available: Ready to sail! Take me with your crew anywhere. Mgeschr Crew Archives 0 29-04-2014 23:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.