Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2022, 11:08   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II
Re: Special Blue Water Cruiser Ready To Take You Anywhere You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
dont see it on yacht world
Are you looking for a KAISER? It comes up for me?
Old 15-11-2022, 12:56   #77

Boat: 1985 lm 32

found it thank u ill be on widbey soon my family lives there i think ill look at this one
Old 16-11-2022, 05:51   #78

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I’ve read all of this thread with great interest because I am considering trying to sell my own schooner. I use the word considering because I don’t need to sell her. I’ve long thought the best time to sell anything is when you don’t need to, and there is no requirement to pander to tire-kickers, or in the case of a boat, couch dreamers.
I have been in real estate marketing for about the same number of years as the OP’S have owned their boat, and there are many similarities in the selling process, between boats and houses.
One of the worst things a seller can do is reduce his price so publicly. Okay, you drop the price because nobody bites, but it shouldn’t be advertised to all and sundry as the OP has done here. A new prospect should just see the current asking price, not read about a stream of reductions.
Parting with a boat in which they have had so many adventures, over more years than some buyers might have been alive, is bound to be a wrench. I know this because I have also put my heart and soul into the upkeep and many renovations and modifications that I have installed over twelve years. However, unlike the OP’S I don’t care a jot who buys it. This notion about it going to a “nice home” is a pipe dream, it’s not a puppy. What are they going to do, decline a good offer from a one-legged pirate, just because they don’t like the look of him?
I well remember seeing a very dear boat disappearing around a bend in the river Orwell in England, and I never saw or heard about it ever again. We had lived aboard for eight years and we were sad, but we quickly got over it, as we bought a new car with the proceeds.
I also agree with some respondents that this forum, or similar ones, is not the place to waste time on, especially with such long responses as the OP’S have made. If I was a buyer, I would see it as increasing desperation, and negotiate accordingly.
There’s nothing wrong with advertising that your boat is for sale, especially if you have been active on a forum, and it is well known—as Britannia is. But that should be that, and the main emphasis should be on the many boat sales websites.
I sincerely hope they find a buyer who they like, and at a price they are happy with. Perhaps they will let us all know how it finally pans out.
Old 16-11-2022, 06:59   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I’ve read all of this thread with great interest because I am considering trying to sell my own schooner. I use the word considering because I don’t need to sell her. I’ve long thought the best time to sell anything is when you don’t need to, and there is no requirement to pander to tire-kickers, or in the case of a boat, couch dreamers.
I have been in real estate marketing for about the same number of years as the OP’S have owned their boat, and there are many similarities in the selling process, between boats and houses.
One of the worst things a seller can do is reduce his price so publicly. Okay, you drop the price because nobody bites, but it shouldn’t be advertised to all and sundry as the OP has done here. A new prospect should just see the current asking price, not read about a stream of reductions.
Parting with a boat in which they have had so many adventures, over more years than some buyers might have been alive, is bound to be a wrench. I know this because I have also put my heart and soul into the upkeep and many renovations and modifications that I have installed over twelve years. However, unlike the OP’S I don’t care a jot who buys it. This notion about it going to a “nice home” is a pipe dream, it’s not a puppy. What are they going to do, decline a good offer from a one-legged pirate, just because they don’t like the look of him?
I well remember seeing a very dear boat disappearing around a bend in the river Orwell in England, and I never saw or heard about it ever again. We had lived aboard for eight years and we were sad, but we quickly got over it, as we bought a new car with the proceeds.
I also agree with some respondents that this forum, or similar ones, is not the place to waste time on, especially with such long responses as the OP’S have made. If I was a buyer, I would see it as increasing desperation, and negotiate accordingly.
There’s nothing wrong with advertising that your boat is for sale, especially if you have been active on a forum, and it is well known—as Britannia is. But that should be that, and the main emphasis should be on the many boat sales websites.
I sincerely hope they find a buyer who they like, and at a price they are happy with. Perhaps they will let us all know how it finally pans out.

Funny you say that but brokers commonly advertise as “ price reduced “ where the asking price has changed
Old 16-11-2022, 07:41   #80

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I know they do, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It’s done automatically on the housing multiple listing services, but that’s supposed to be seen only by realtors. It implies that the previous price(s) were too high, and that’s not a good thing to advertise to any prospective buyer.
Another thing I didn’t mention is that sellers invariably talk too much about their pride and joy. We called it a salesmen’s diarrhea of the mouth, and I’ve known new salesmen to actually sell themselves out of a deal, instead of putting themselves in the position of the buyer and listening instead of talking.
Old 16-11-2022, 07:58   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I know they do, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. It’s done automatically on the housing multiple listing services, but that’s supposed to be seen only by realtors. It implies that the previous price(s) were too high, and that’s not a good thing to advertise to any prospective buyer.
Another thing I didn’t mention is that sellers invariably talk too much about their pride and joy. We called it a salesmen’s diarrhea of the mouth, and I’ve known new salesmen to actually sell themselves out of a deal, instead of putting themselves in the position of the buyer and listening instead of talking.
It's done to generate interest. Presumably, they are getting little or no interest, so a boat that has been on the market for 6-12months raises red flags about why. Is there something wrong with it? Is the seller unrealistic and obnoxious? Why?

A seller who has lowered their price and it is advertised is admitting the reason it was on the market so long is they had the price too high. Also, they more likely open to reasonable negotiation.

Nothing wrong with that, especially when you have a boat without a lot of good comparable to generate a solid market value.

But I'll take a bunch of lowball offers over no offers any day of the week. I don't have to accept lowball offers but then it becomes my choice. If I'm being unrealistic and get no offers, I have no choice.
Old 24-11-2022, 22:49   #82

Hi and thanks for your astute observations. I just want to wish everyone happy Thanksgiving and good luck finding your dreamboat. My thoughts are drifting back to CABO SAN LUCAS the the wonderful holiday times there. Walking sunny beaches, great cruisers, cheap beer and Tequila, helping out orphanages, hearing the Mariachas, living the good life when you are young, and the Turkey dinners. It would be great to hear from some people down South. Just GO as soon as you can. You won't ever regret it. Cheers Myles and Sandy
Old 27-11-2022, 19:23   #83

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
It is listed on Yachtworld with a broker at $66K.

Unfortunately for the seller there is another one on the market for $35K, that one is not in the same league but it is half the price!

There is one in the GGR race, it is being sailed by the only American still in the race. Unfortunately he is pretty far back in the standings.
And he's had problems with his bowsprit too. But he was able to fix it. If he finishes the race your boat will be in high demand for the next GGR. By the way there's a boat for sale on the East Coast at the present time that was a 100k boat a few years ago on the West Coast asking 25k. Guess the winter doesn't help. Maybe sail it to Australia?? but I'm 78. Still might flip a coin.
Old 27-11-2022, 22:41   #84

Hi, good to hear from an Aussie. I can say a few things like the market for used Gale Force 34 is $20K to $110K. I have the comps. Secondly I bought it to get from Point A to B with minimal headaches. Third get a Westsail 32, it won the Transpac Race in the 70's from LA to Honolulu on corrected time and some are great buys. Lastly keep on making your wonderful Ginger Beer (Bundaberg), and I'll buy next trip to Australia, what a wonderful place and adventures we had there before Crocadile Dundee made it. My wife and I miss Steve Irvin, the most heroic person I never met, we were in the Yukon when we heard his untimely passing age 44. Thanks for being our allies both Kiwis and Aussies.
We are anxious to get back to your part of the world. Regards Myles (78 also)
Old 18-01-2023, 14:24   #85

Hello Sleepy, look me up when you get to Whidbey Island. THX
Old 18-01-2023, 15:08   #86

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmirage View Post
Hello Sleepy, look me up when you get to Whidbey Island. THX
I'm not far from Whidbey island myself.
Old 18-01-2023, 15:26   #87
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmirage View Post
Hi, good to hear from an Aussie. I can say a few things like the market for used Gale Force 34 is $20K to $110K. I have the comps.
Where did you get your comps ? soldboats.com does not agree.
Only 5 such models have sold through Yacht World since 2012 and none of them sold even close to $100K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comp 1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	270240  
Old 18-01-2023, 21:32   #88

Hi,the two comps were sold prior to 2012. Only 30+ boats were ever made so you don't see them very often. There is a Gale Force 34 in the Golden Globe round the world race. The captain single handed the boat one day 174 nautical miles. I don't go that fast but I tend to hit large objects in the way. THX Myles
Old 10-02-2023, 22:59   #89

Hi boatpoker

I thought about your comments a little more on pricing. When I had the selling price really high, I received numerous offers (all of which fell thru for all the reasons numerated herein); and when I lowered the price to almost half of what the listing broker suggested, received no offers but lots of interest. All I know for sure is I'm pushing 80 years old and MIRAGE will be around a lot longer than I will. Thanks for your comments, still hoping to hear from some Kiwis and Aussies. Its a lot nicer to spend a year on a boat getting Down Under than hopping a plane and getting there in 12 hours. Myles
Old 17-02-2023, 19:28   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrancher View Post
It is listed on Yachtworld with a broker at $66K.

Unfortunately for the seller there is another one on the market for $35K, that one is not in the same league but it is half the price!

There is one in the GGR race, it is being sailed by the only American still in the race. Unfortunately he is pretty far back in the standings.

The fact that the other one on the market is not in the same league makes it’s half price point irrelevant. If you’re in the market for a boat and compare two (or even several) always, ALWAYS buy the one that has been meticulously maintained. The fact that this one is a one owner/original owner vessel is a huge amount of ‘peace-of-mind’ icing on the cake and is well worth the additional $30K.
Closed Thread

Tags
ais, blue water, cruise, cruiser, cutter, water