Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2020, 16:43   #1

Sailboat with folding mast & retractable keel

New to sailing, we're looking for a starter pocket cruiser that we can grow with.

Two big caveats – (1) it must have a retractable keel for shallow docking by our home. (2) Also, our home is behind a low hanging bridge so the sailboat must have a folding mast and motor to get us under the bridge and into the bay.

I was looking at Macgregor 26 but noticed they stopped manufacturing sailboats a while back.

What are our options now?
michaelgibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 16:49   #2

Re: Sailboat with folding mast & retractable keel

Where are you located? (Update your profile) There are McGregors everywhere in North America. And a folding mast. Would love to see that one, myself.
Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 17:13   #3

Long Island, New York. They stopped making Macgregors in like 2005 after the owner retired. We’re looking to buy something new so Macgregor isn’t option for us but would definitely consider if they still made them. Something comparable would be perfect.
michaelgibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 18:04   #4

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
. And a folding mast. Would love to see that one, myself.
Good luck,
LittleWing77
Tabernacle mast
Old 19-04-2020, 18:37   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Tabernacle mast

Yes, although not easy to rig / de-rig in the water (the ones I have seen usually are used on the hard, e.g. from a trailer).
Old 19-04-2020, 18:45   #6

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Check out the Farrier and Corsair folding tris. They are made to trailer so the amas come in alongside and the mast is removable. There's also Dragonfly tris but they are mucho dinero. I have sailed a Mac quite a bit and helped take the mast down. It can be done pretty quickly if you don't have to put everything away for trailer loading. They made 1000s of these and it really does sound like what you want. The bonus is you can also pull a skier/boarder!
Old 19-04-2020, 19:24   #7

Even on a small boat, having to raise and lower the mast gets old REALLY fast. We have done it on the water a few times to transit a couple of locks, but I'd hate to be doing it daily. Takes at least 20 minutes to do either, unless you get really practised at it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 19:47   #8

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

After the Macgregor owner retired, one of the kids picked it up and renamed it to Tattoo
Current news | Tattoo Yachts
Not sure if they still make them. Their last update seems to be from 2015.
A used Mac is every bit as good as new, even better sometimes with people improving on them, and learning on a used one is a good idea anyways.
The mast drops for transport, and depending on the model, most have swing keels.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 00:15   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Don't be intimidated by the "folding mast" idea. There are a few areas of the world, Santa Cruz harbor in Califirnia and places in Perth (or maybe its Freemantle?), West Aussie for example, where even fairly large keel boats lower their masts every time they go sailing, and again upon return. Takes some fussing with the mast step (tabernacle) and bits of string, but it can be and is regularly done by mere mortal sailors.

And there are plenty of trailer sailors besides the Macs that would do the job... some of which are better sea boats than others. A bit of research should point out likely candidates.

Jim
Old 20-04-2020, 00:41   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Get one of these: https://youtu.be/duGEolotq40?t=87
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:26   #11

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C

I have a 1996 MacGregor 26S for sale in New Bern NC. It is the center board version, launches in 18" of water. Its the "real sailboat" version with a Honda 9.9 turbothrust outboard. Its not the 26M or 26X with the 2 rudders. It comes with a galvanised trailer with disc brakes and through hub greasing. It has a gin pole for easy mast lowering and raising. With a little practice you can lower and raise the mast under way. If you are interested let me know and I can send you details.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:33   #12

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

First, there are many 2012 MacGregors listed on sailboatlistings.com and a tattoo version dated 2014... not very old.

I think you should look at trailerable boats since the mast has to come down to trailer. You didn't say your budget or accommodations... so not much to go on...

Look at Corsair Trimarans or dragonfly tri, They are pricey but you get to sail fast and therefor have a much larger range if you want to go somewhere.

Telstar also made a folding trimaran, 28ft I believe. Stopped production several years / a decade (?) ago.

The Far East 26 and 28R have retractable keels and masts that come down easy. They are both performance oriented, but the 26 is more cruiser than the 28R. I think still being built.

Seaward 26RK has a push button retractable keel. more of a cruiser and I think you can still get them new.

Catalina makes centerboard boats.. The 250 or 275 may work for you...
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgibek View Post
New to sailing, we're looking for a starter pocket cruiser that we can grow with.

Two big caveats – (1) it must have a retractable keel for shallow docking by our home. (2) Also, our home is behind a low hanging bridge so the sailboat must have a folding mast and motor to get us under the bridge and into the bay.

I was looking at Macgregor 26 but noticed they stopped manufacturing sailboats a while back.

What are our options now?
The recent MacGregors don't sail very well but they are inexpensive. They are more like "stink pots" with sails. Checkout ComPac boats and Seaward boats. Some of the ComPac boats have a set up which almost could be considered a folding mast. ComPac's and Seward's cost a lot more than MacGregors but you get what you pay for almost always.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:37   #14

Boat: 1988 Taswell 43 & 1972 Laser

A Catalina 22 fits all your key words, except "cruiser." Cruising ranges from local area to worldwide. Assuming you meant local area: the C22 is inexpensive, easy to resell, small enough to be a good sailing learner, but large enough for a nice family "camping" boat. It is relatively easy to work on (we've had 4 boats), trailer-able, and a nice family "camping" boat. The mast can be put up by one person with a block and tackle system, or two people by hand. There are many similar sailboats. Suggest you tour some boat yards and visit owners selling to see the various models and how they may fit your needs and wants. Good luck and have nice adventures.
ccwoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2020, 08:46   #15

Boat: Seaward 25

Check out Com-pac Suncat or Horizon Cat. Stout little boats with a folding mast. We have friends who either have, or had have, both and they swear by them. We have a fixed keel version of the Seaward mentioned above. I would really hate to have to raise and lower the mast on her every time I went in and out. Same goes with the Catalinas. If there is an easy way to manage the boom on the Mac, that might be an option. The benefit for the Com-pacs is the mast folds down above the boom so the boom stays in place.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel, mast, sail, sailboat