Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2022, 21:12   #16

Re: Looking for a dead RIB

Found your website, Jolly Roger! Lot of cool stuff to look at.

Liked your story about an early attempted voyage with Miss Kate. Was the story for the grandchildren?

That’s one of the things that my wife did not like anymore about cruising……she felt too dependent on me. ‘Every time we get on the boat, something else is broken”. And I say, “Yea….so?” That’s what I do best, fix things.
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 21:13   #17

Great, Virginia Lee from Titusville! I am very interested!
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 23:01   #18

I had decent success with a project similar to what you want to do. I started with a freebie fiberglass skiff , and fiberglassed over cardboard concrete form tubes , and beach balls for the corners.

Sorry I don't have a dead rib to offer you .but I wish you luck with your project!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200914_133651.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	259632  
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 09:50   #19

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

I have and old AB in Bradenton Florida you can have. PM me if interested.

Joe
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 23:14   #20

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullislandken View Post
Found your website, Jolly Roger! Lot of cool stuff to look at.

Liked your story about an early attempted voyage with Miss Kate. Was the story for the grandchildren?

That’s one of the things that my wife did not like anymore about cruising……she felt too dependent on me. ‘Every time we get on the boat, something else is broken”. And I say, “Yea….so?” That’s what I do best, fix things.
There are now so many stories on the site - nearly all published in different magazines - even I can’t remember which is which. I take it you’re talking about “Capt Roger” which yes, I did write for my grandchildren, aged 7 & 8 at the time. They howled over it.
The breakdown/repair problem is eternal, and certainly not limited to older boats. My first boat ever was an Endurance 40, two years old and well equipped for a 1977 model. The trouble was it had never been used, and all the equipment had seized up and the batteries dead and gone. It took me three months of hard graft to get it all working properly as a liveaboard.
Actually, I’m getting to the end of my tether with boats, including the 10’ dink’, which I have finally managed to patch and stay inflated.
The best boats to sail in are other peoples, the newer the better. That way you don’t pay the bills or do repairs.
Old 24-06-2022, 06:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Okay, I have an old 10’ Caribe dinghy which I’ve just repaired, and it's holding fine – so far.
It also goes with the boat it’s attached to on davits. My 50’ brigantine schooner is now for sale as well. Take a look at HOME. The asking price $120,000 – so the dink is free.
Your boat’s website is not a secure website. So it is not advisable to use it.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 06:49   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lucia 40

I have a 2017 9.5 PVC Gala with aluminum double floor, bow locker, oars, AL seat bench, and extended transom for quick planing. The factory seams are failing, otherwise the dinghy is in excellent shape. It's currently in Hilton Head, South Carolina. email me at; stevetips@aol.com
Sailguy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2022, 12:38   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
I want to build a dink like the OC tender. Having the hull will likely help me move right along. I realize there is definitely more to it than just putting topsides on the RIB hull. A “certain amount” of lift from the tubes outboard of the hull affects the boat for stability and planing lift.
We sold our 12' AB RIB and bought an OC tender, and the difference in the planing is remarkable. We have gone from using an 18 HP on the AB to a 9.9 HP outboard on the OC-T and have not lost any speed or carrying capacity. The lower hull shape is not the same, so you won't get the OC tender performance by building on top of an AB lower frame. But I appreciate where you are coming from from an expense standpoint!
Old 26-06-2022, 12:15   #24

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I have a Walker Bay Genesis with two of the deluxe seats, one with a bag, the other with the shelf-compartment, just painted, and rehabbed for about a grand, along with all original paperwork and a spare set of trim tabs NIB (shrinkwrapped, still); it's free if you want it at the Vero Beach City Marina.

Eye bolts in and out on the stern (for ratchet straps outside, along with the standard U at the bow), lifting stainless setup for davits by St. Croix along with the usual bow eye inside the bow and eye bolts at the stern for a single 3-point lift (also available with it).

Please advise soonest to me directly if you'd like it; check out offshore rafting's facebook page for some pix of the rehab...
https://www.facebook.com/offshoreraf...yUPJT13cEM8SSl

Earlier:
https://www.facebook.com/offshoreraf...gdCG1hEVthCXul
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 15:14   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I want to build a dink like the OC tender. Having the hull will likely help me move right along. I realize there is definitely more to it than just putting topsides on the RIB hull. A “certain amount” of lift from the tubes outboard of the hull affects the boat for stability and planing lift. I have been in a couple of old dinghies when a whole tube deflated…..with one we were a long way from the mothership but 3 of us still spent the day diving outa that old flaccid 10 ft AB.

Thanks for your question!

Something I have seen done successfully is to use the old leaky RIB tubes as a form. Pump them up and lay glass over them. Its not pretty, or lightweight, but it works.

Ive also seen sides built up on RIB hulls work too, but again its not ideal.

Alternatively, and a better solution, is to just get some dinghy plans and build it from plans. This yields a purpose designed and built dinghy...not an improvised salvage.

If you have decent glass skills you can build a dink. If you dont, then the salvage RIB wont likely work out very well either.

I built a "UniCat" during COVID lock down. Easy build. Motors, rows, sails...way better than a salvaged RIB hull.

https://www.jbwatercraft.com/unicat-2-4

More on my build:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...at-249541.html
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib