Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2021, 07:20   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel
Aluminum or steel centerboard cruiser

Hey all, I’m actively on the hunt for an aluminum or even steel centerboard cruiser in the 35 to 43ft range. I’ve been traveling around looking at boats and I’m still on the hunt for the right one. Designs like the Ovni, Garcia, and Meta are perfect for my cruising plans which may invoke sailing in inhospitable places. Not at all opposed to a bit of a refit and I’m no stranger to a welding torch. I check the usual websites regularly and have a few automated searches up but I’m still hunting. I know there has to be the right boat hiding out somewhere... cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C7811AD-F576-40F5-98B2-B1D785EC8A2F.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	244792  
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:23   #2

Re: Aluminum or steel centerboard cruiser

If you aren't too tall (below 6') and the centreboard isn't absolutely necessary, check out the Reinke with twin keels. They usually go from 12m to 15m They have a little more draft than yachts with a centreboard, but they still can fall dry without a problem. They're usually aluminium and were popular in Germany. Very solid boats.

I was really interested in a nice one a few years ago, but the headroom wasn't enough for me.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
If you aren't too tall (below 6') and the centreboard isn't absolutely necessary, check out the Reinke with twin keels. They usually go from 12m to 15m They have a little more draft than yachts with a centreboard, but they still can fall dry without a problem. They're usually aluminium and were popular in Germany. Very solid boats.

I was really interested in a nice one a few years ago, but the headroom wasn't enough for me.
I’ve seen a few twin keelers but the design isn’t for me. It’s not a headroom issue, I’m 5’ 10”, I just really don’t like the twin keel look. There’s a twin dagger in the Caribbean that has me interested but that’s a different story.
Old 06-09-2021, 19:57   #4

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

+1 on this request, though more specifically I’m looking for an Ovni in the 39- 50-foot range. Ovnis seem to be all the rage now.
Old 06-09-2021, 23:26   #5

Boat: Aluminium 37ft - META Strongall design

Good luck with your search, sorry but mine isn't available for another 20 years I hope... She is a Meta design, great build method if you can find one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diamond Life - Aluminium - Esperance.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	440.5 KB
ID:	244838  
Diamond-Esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:37   #6

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Beautiful boat, @Diamond.
Old 10-09-2021, 13:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-Esp View Post
Good luck with your search, sorry but mine isn't available for another 20 years I hope... She is a Meta design, great build method if you can find one.
I’ll be looking… If you see one in your travels let me know!
Old 16-10-2021, 09:30   #8

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

this is an example of a steel bilge keeler....... she is for sale at 799k. coming out on Yacht world next week. https://youtu.be/pG4UqPQlj_w
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 20:29   #9

Interesting boat… but I’d rather have a boreal 44 and $450000 left over…
Old 16-10-2021, 22:48   #10

Have you checked out this custom Brewer 53? Bilge keels instead of centreboard might work for you
https://soundmarine.ca/collections/y...om-built-ketch
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 05:46   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

If you want to go to “inhospitable places” the last thing you want is any kind of centerboard. A centerboard takes up a huge amount of space right in the middle of the boat. Repairing it ? removing something jammed between it and the case ?
If you can’t lift it up...numerous reasons...what do you do then ?
Twin keels. Advantages after advantages.
They just cost a lot more.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 06:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

There is a 45’ boat in Lewisporte, Newfoundland, Arctic Tern or something. It has been for sail for several years. IIRC it was under contract but that fell through. I believe she has been to the arctic and has a few bumps to show use.

In the same yard is what I find a very interesting boat. Steel, not centerboard, 42’ I think, cutter. Not unreasonable draft, 5’6”? It built by a couple who did high latitude research. I believe the lady did the welding. It has a nice pilot house and an open interior. A big Reflex stove and work shop and lots of space. Not everyones cup of tea.

I took a hard look at it but it needs too much work for my time budget. Typically it needs some love in the chain locker and the cockpit needs help.

It has been sitting for quite a while. It went up for sale, a new sailor bought it and sailed it very lightly but lost interest.

Reasonably it needs to go for very little. Of this boat I have a number of pictures.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 10:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
There is a 45’ boat in Lewisporte, Newfoundland, Arctic Tern or something. It has been for sail for several years. IIRC it was under contract but that fell through. I believe she has been to the arctic and has a few bumps to show use.

In the same yard is what I find a very interesting boat. Steel, not centerboard, 42’ I think, cutter. Not unreasonable draft, 5’6”? It built by a couple who did high latitude research. I believe the lady did the welding. It has a nice pilot house and an open interior. A big Reflex stove and work shop and lots of space. Not everyones cup of tea.

I took a hard look at it but it needs too much work for my time budget. Typically it needs some love in the chain locker and the cockpit needs help.

It has been sitting for quite a while. It went up for sale, a new sailor bought it and sailed it very lightly but lost interest.

Reasonably it needs to go for very little. Of this boat I have a number of pictures.
Sounds interesting! The draft is a bit deep, the point of the centerboard was to be able to get into thin water, ideally 4’ is my max draft with centerboard up. That said, pilothouse boats get extra points! @manateeman, a large amount of high latitude expedition boats are center boarders or lifting keels… just look at Seal or Vinson of Antarctica
Old 17-10-2021, 12:07   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A couple of pics.
Long fin keel.
Skeg hung rudder.
Dont know designer.
It looks a LOT like a scaled up version of my Murray 33.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3C64FE3-3632-43FE-A488-96ED124A520A.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	246955   Click image for larger version

Name:	16495A7A-1E11-4EC3-9743-459AA0929EEC.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	246963  

Name:	869C2338-BFE1-4E80-BAFC-C4771EF82F0C.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	246964  
Old 17-10-2021, 14:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a link to the Arctic Tern

https://www.oceanyachtsales.com/prin...oat_id=4512596

Quote:
Ready for your next polar expedition "Arctic Tern" I is a tried and true boat ready for the sea. The yacht is designed by Caroff and built in steel. She has robust fittings and systems . The lifting keel brings her draft down to 3'11" There was an extensive refit in 2010 where she was surveyed, insured and confirmed to be compliant with Canadian regulations. The engine was recently replaced. The listing agent recently went through the boat in Newfoundland. Call or email us to fully understand this fine yacht.

Tags
aluminum, centerboard, cruise, cruiser, steel