Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 15:37   #16

Re: Aluminum or steel centerboard cruiser

FYI:

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...cruising-boats

A Short List of Centerboard Cruising Boats
By Darrell Nicholson -
Published:November 20, 2012
Updated:November 7, 2019
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 21:43   #17

Boat: Alubat Ovni 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPegleg View Post
Hey all, I’m actively on the hunt for an aluminum or even steel centerboard cruiser in the 35 to 43ft range. I’ve been traveling around looking at boats and I’m still on the hunt for the right one. Designs like the Ovni, Garcia, and Meta are perfect for my cruising plans which may invoke sailing in inhospitable places. Not at all opposed to a bit of a refit and I’m no stranger to a welding torch. I check the usual websites regularly and have a few automated searches up but I’m still hunting. I know there has to be the right boat hiding out somewhere... cheers!
Keep looking, refresh your posting, your new boat is out there, have cash and be ready to travel.
It took me 4 years to finally seal the deal on my boat, and initially I had buyers remorse. Now I love my boat, an older Ovni, slowly finishing a solo one year refit.
Fatboypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 08:06   #18

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel

Actually just bought a Joubert and Nivelt designed steel centerboarder. There may be other folks in the market though!
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 10:03   #19

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
If you aren't too tall (below 6') and the centreboard isn't absolutely necessary, check out the Reinke with twin keels. They usually go from 12m to 15m They have a little more draft than yachts with a centreboard, but they still can fall dry without a problem. They're usually aluminium and were popular in Germany. Very solid boats.

I was really interested in a nice one a few years ago, but the headroom wasn't enough for me.
+1 for a Reinke (I have a Super 10, so not biased).
They're also very cheap compared to the likes of an Ovni as they're all built like Soviet era tractors.

But great to see OP has bought a boat. We so rarely have an update of posts like this. So TiPegleg we need some pics and some words on how you're getting on. You can't leave us all hanging, Update please.
Old 16-12-2021, 11:05   #20

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
So TiPegleg we need some pics and some words on how you're getting on. You can't leave us all hanging, Update please.
You’re absolutely right! Here’s my new to me Dinieper Tropic 1200. Joubert and Nivelt designed with a flat bottom and centerboard. Built in Brazil out of hot galvanized steel. The original owner was an engineer of sorts and there is a lot of customization. I’ve never seen a steel boat with so little rust, anywhere. The only rusty areas are where the hatches rub! Getting a refit underway and hope to launch from south Florida before hurricane season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	055E6DB1-CE46-4D67-90AA-D962FF1EBB77.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	249890  
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, centerboard, cruise, cruiser, steel