Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 10:55   #46

Boat: Passport 51
Re: 42'-54' Bluewater Cruiser Monohull - Ready to Buy

sosail, just called you twice. Line opens, some echoes are heard, and a hangup click.
XtaSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 12:23   #47

Boat: CORBIN 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtaSea View Post
sailr69, the lower end of the search is 42'. Corbin 39 looks like a nice cruiser, however the lack of separate fridge & freezer, canoe stern, and size of storage space are deal breakers for now.
sometimes some people just get it all wrong, although I am selling my boat sometime in the future, now is not the time. most people who have seen or been on a Corbin have a hard time believing it is a 39 foot boat. My Corbin has a separate Freezer, extremely large refrigerator , more room below then any 42 foot ocean cruiser. these boats are designed for world cruising and there are any number of them doing that right now I suggest you go to the Corbin 39 website see what a Corbin 39 is all about while there, look up JOINT EFFORT
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 12:24   #48

Boat: Hunter 49

Hi XtaSea. It seems our target boats are very similar if for different reasons. We have been looking for 5 years now with a target to purchase last Autumn. Covid has delayed us and now looking at this autumn.
Have you considered a Taswell? We have seen a few advertised and they seem to tick all of our boxes. Been on may different boats in the same size range as yours during our research. Current favourites are Taswell, Rassy, Moody. When we are allowed to travel again the Taswell is the first one I want to look at as I havn't been aboard one of those yet.
Good luck and fair winds.
CliveCollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 13:18   #49

sailr69, thanks for clarifying that the fridge & freezer are separate. After your initial message, I immediately called a broker who had sold a Corbin 39 before. Sounds like he didn’t recall the galley accurately.

I hear you on the notion that smaller may not always mean smaller. For example, Southerly 38 is a model I looked at, and it sure looked roomier than some 42’ers. The double island bed in the aft was a dreamy find on a 38’er as well.

A 39’ boat is not sufficient for my project. No matter what brand it is. And the canoe stern is not my type. (Which is why Valiant is off the list too)
Old 29-01-2021, 13:28   #50

CliveCollett, I didn’t know about the Taswell. Will check into it ASAP.

Moody’s are good. Great resale value too. It is one of the search words I use weekly.

Hallberg-Rassy. I spent a bit of time in a 42E. There are two in the market that I am following but haven’t made the move yet. Just can’t see how the genset, water maker, SCUBA compressor, 4 tanks, and 5 years of circumnavigation toys & gear will fit in it. Just a bit cramped inside. The 44 is probably outside my budget.

Good luck to you as well. And I am curious about what the different reasons might be.
Old 29-01-2021, 14:06   #51

The different reasons?? we have no diving plans but the Admiral likes to craft and that will take up as much space. Plus we intend it to be our only home so space required for some creature comforts that others may well feel are not essential.

We were originally planning a year in the med. Then the ARC to the caribbean, then panama canal, Galapagos and on from there, eventually completing a circumnavigation. Plans change and get refined. Currently we will be starting with a 4 legged crew member and after much research have decided the pacific gets very complicated with a dog aboard. We now think maybe after the caribbean we will explore the east coast US and maybe even head into the lakes before completing the atlantic circuit. We absolutely do not want to leave him somewhere.
We have seen some Rassy 49's that came close to our budget. Plenty of room on those. Love the look of the Moody 54, again plenty of room but outside our budget. I would prefer an older premium brand but also find there are quite a few production boats in the 50 ft range that are interesting options.
Old 29-01-2021, 14:32   #52

CliveCollett, take a look at Formosa. Might be a formidable prospect for your crafty floating home base. A few are for sale.

Depending on the breed of the dog, I advise reviewing the stairs carefully. Have seen some pretty steep and narrow step designs that are difficult for dogs.
Old 29-01-2021, 18:39   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I sold a client a Moody 47 last year; I really liked the build and the layout; worth a look
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 19:00   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

...The OP just described about 10,000 boats, hehe.

Buy a boat. Go sailing. The one you use will be capable if you make it.
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 23:06   #55

Scott Berg, mind sharing the DOM, listing price, and sold price?
Old 29-01-2021, 23:09   #56

sv Stella Maris, hey now. Just barely approaching 9,900. Still 100 to go.

Note that the header says 'Ready to Buy', not 'Ready to Sail'. And the backburner is on for a good reason.

Plug: I am looking for crew & delivery opportunities, in case any reader has a need.
Old 30-01-2021, 03:40   #57

XtaSea good point with the companion way steps. We have a Lab collie cross and hes only 3 just now so anything short of a vertical ladder is fine but he wont always be so sprightly.
Its one reason we like the Taswell 49 all seasons. It has a raised saloon so the steps are short and not too steep. One other non negotiable point is we want at least a partial island double if not a full island. I know they are next to useless when under way but that's a relatively small percentage of the time spent on board. That said I still love the Rasseys despite the bed issue. They only had one layout that has an island double and they are rare.
Old 30-01-2021, 05:42   #58

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Hi XtaSea,
Have you seen Calypso? All details including listing, photos, videos and story of our refit at Gulfstar50.com
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:33   #59

Calypso52, yes I have thanks. Pursuing white and Island Packet creme colored boats at this time.

Another concern I would have is the age of the standing rigging. Was last done in 2008. Several insurance agents who worked on bids for a circumnavigation required standing rigging less than 10 years old. Not sure if there are ways around that.
Old 30-01-2021, 08:27   #60

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I saved a bunch of money by taking off all the standing rigging myself and taking it to the rigger. Then reversing the process. The Hayn fittings are reusable. Best wishes on your search!
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, hull, monohull, water