Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2023, 13:09   #16

Re: 38-42ft bluewater cruiser - suggestions please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I would suggest that you state the area of the world you're looking in (perhaps fill in your profile). This forum is very American biased and so most responders will propose boats from same.
We are quite flexible, our plan is to start cruising from wherever we find the right boat for us. Right now, because of season, the most convenient would be southern half of the US, Mexico, Caribbean but we are open to going further afield for a great find.
SolitarySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2023, 13:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post
We had the same criteria 6 years ago. Happened upon a Nauticat 43. Been happy ever since. She ticks off all your boxes. She is currently in La Paz, Mexico. Our plan is to put her up for sale in April after exploring more of the Sea of Cortez. Perhaps we can talk?

Rich
S/V Tally Ho
Nauticat 43
La Paz, BCS
We haven’t considered the Nauticat 43. Will do some research and familiarize ourselves with them and reach out if we have questions. I'm not sure if timing will align in this case, we are really hoping it doesn't take until April to find our home!
SolitarySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 14:54   #18

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitarySeagull View Post
We haven’t considered the Nauticat 43. Will do some research and familiarize ourselves with them and reach out if we have questions. I'm not sure if timing will align in this case, we are really hoping it doesn't take until April to find our home!
We also have and recommend a Nauticat 43 for your consideration, but I didn’t mention it due to the budget constraint you posted in your original requirements list. If you are able to go beyond the US$100k you posted [think double or triple] we know of a couple NC43’s on the market by owner [No, not ours…] in addition to the one Rbrazil mentioned they will be offering next year.

Cheers, Bill
Old 26-11-2023, 16:06   #19

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Good sea berths
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Wetsnail 42 if you don't mind slow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Ingrid
"Good sea berths"?
Perhaps the most difficult to find on most any boat. The tendency has been to eliminate real "pilot berths" in the center of the boat for more "living room" space and cabinetry/lockers.
Generally speaking, one is now forced to use a settee as a berth, which in many layouts precludes anyone else down below from a decent place to even sit down. Putting on sea boots while sitting at a dinette?, that's a good one.
Westsail 42?, (or better, the 43,) anyway, if you get the tall double-spreader rig they now have a decent amount of canvas to move along in lighter air.
Doesn't mean they're a speed demon, but the speed demons won't carry several tons of "necessary junk".
"Ingrid"? I presume you're referring to the boats built by "Bluewater" in Washington?
They were good boats, but being that many of them were owner finished the interiors and conditions are all over the map.
Most of them were ketch rigged and ballasting is not consistent either to weight or material used.
Should one be enamored of the "Ingrid", the best was the Alajuela 38 MkII.
Lots of weight in lead, and with the taller rig they will move much better than many would imagine.
And on a factory boat you get a good pilot berth and still have settees to sit/sleep on.
Old 26-11-2023, 16:43   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
Downeaster 38 had a huge amount of headroom throughout.
How could I have forgotten that one? I sailed one quite a bit many years ago. Stoutly built, performed pretty well and lots of room. Staysail is nice to have. And good engine access as I recall too. Not so great for mounting a windvane on though I think. The transom is very high. But there must be someone here who has done it, I'd like to see photos of that.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by derfy View Post
I have a 1990 Morgan 44cc, purchased for about the amount you have budgeted, with adequate headroom for my 6'3" height. It's been awesome. But...Just know that the purchase price for a boat of this era and genre will likely be about 30-50% of what you will need to spend to replace whatever needs replacing in order to go long-range cruising with safety and reliable operation. My diesels (Yanmar and Genset) are in great shape - so I started with these core items intact. My boat's previous owner replaced the standing rigging, had the mast refurbished/painted, re-cored the weather decks, replaced the main sail and tracks, and added a custom canvas enclosure. I have replaced the jib, all electrical and electronic hardware (including two new A/C units, fridge, house and start batteries, invertor/charger, solar, nav, satcom, solar, SSB - all pricey stuff), the windlass, dinghy, and outboard. Add in insurance/surveys, dockage, fuel, haulouts/bottom jobs, innumerable small repairs, registrations, cruising fees, safety gear (liferaft, flares, EPIRBs, $$$), tools, personal gear. Just know the cost of commissioning and operating these boats can be really really high...and the rewards can be awesome.
Absolutely the honest truth - SolitarySeagull take careful note!
rodsuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:44   #22

Derfy is correct, plan on about $100K to get anything in the older 40 foot range back up or indeed to bluewater safe and capable. We upgraded an older Beneteau Oceanis 440 and circumnavigated in comfort. The math suggests if you buy something well used maybe even loved for about $100K look at a similar amount to update/replace gear. Less if you are lucky to find something in top shape. Best place to look is a location where post circumnavigators come to a home port looking to sell ie Vancouver, Seattle and western USA seaboard, Lauderdale and eastern US seabord.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:53   #23

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Can you help us find our next sailboat for bluewater cruising?? Our dream criteria are listed below. If you know of a boat that fits the bill, is for sale, or you know someone thinking of selling, we’d love to hear from you!

38-42ft
Fin keel + skeg-hung rudder, or full keel
Prefer cutter rig, ketch also ok
Minimum 6’3 headroom, including in galley
Good sea berths
Decent storage
No teak decks
Fibreglass hull
Budget of around $100K

To give you an idea of what we're looking for, we really like the Tayana 42 and we're open to other suggestions.

I'm 6'3" and we sail a Valiant 42, but a 40 has the same dimensions. Standing up straight in my boat was an important decision criteria for us. No teak decks, good sea berths and a circumnavigation proven fibreglass hull. The right tool for the job.

A budget of $100K puts you in a purchase price of $50K and money for refit. From what I can tell it's still a seller's market. Consider traveling to a distant corner of the world for a boat you might have some leverage with. Consider also growing your budget and reassuring yourselves with a higher resale value. (Not sure it will pan out, but it will increase your options).
Captain Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:00   #24

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34

Drop down one foot to a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37. I have a Crealock 34, and I’m 6’3” tall and can easily stand up and the berths are long enough. A well proven, cutter rigged, blue water boat well within your budget. And the factory is still in business and has been invaluable for the occasional question I’ve had about my boat.
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:18   #25

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Caliber 40's tick all those boxes. Very comfortable for 2 with occasional guests
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:20   #26

Brewer 42.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:26   #27

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I have a cutter rig Bristol 38.8 (1990) in Annapolis that may meet your needs. Plenty of headroom, even in the head, Westerbeke 46. I can’t say enough good things about the way this boat handles. Well built and strong she heads to wind like a dream. I’ve proudly owned her for 25 years, but I’m not getting any younger, so I’d consider selling to someone who will continue to take good care of her. You can reach me at captpati@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5854.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	283951  
captpati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:44   #28

Boat: Amel Sharki #68 of 1982, 39 feet

Ahoi Solitary Seagull,

I would also consider the Amel Sharki, the boat I have. Less known and rarely on the US market.
It is a sturdy 39 footer ketch, central cockpit with dog house. Designed to go around the world in comfort, it has a protective cockpit, excellent in heavy seas and bad weather, as well as in the tropical sun.
Watertight closures to help floating in case of collision in the forehull or transom area.
I think the height is about 190 cm in the main cabin, forecabin and bathroom, and 160 cm in the corridor and rear (master) cabin.
The keel is integral to the hull, the rudder is attached to a strong skeg.
No teak decks but "fake teak": the deck gelcoat on the sidewalks is painted brownish color to simulate teak.
Large fuel and water storage: 340 L Diesel and 750 L water.
Lots of storage space.
It has good sea berths.
From 1979 to 1989 about 190 built. From 1984 main and genoa on electric motor furler... all sails controllable from inside the cockpit.
Mine is a 1982 unit, all manual. Easy to single-hand which is what I do most of the time.

Fair winds,
marco
africanmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:39   #29

Boat: Passport 42

We have Stan Huntingford's Passport 42 and I believe it would suit you. The design is much like Perry's Passport 40 and 41 but it has more headroom and a larger underbody.

I'm 6'2" and plenty of headroom and enough "foot" room to sleep in both main berths. Skeg hung rudder, protected propeller, good sized keel, makes her comfortable in big seas.

The Slocum 43 is basically the same boat, same designer. We bought ours 13 years ago and cruised Mexico, Hawaii, and Alaska. You can find these 81 - 83 year models for just under 100k.

We've documented many of the features an all the fixes and upgrades we've done on our blog.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:12   #30

Boat: Beneteau 361

**Traditional:**

* **Westsail 32:** An iconic and legendary bluewater cruiser, known for its strength, simplicity, and seaworthiness. However, it may feel less spacious and comfortable compared to modern designs.
* **Pacific Seacraft 37:** A well-built and well-respected boat with a reputation for being safe and reliable. It offers good performance and a comfortable interior layout.
* **Hallberg-Rassy 42F:** A classic Swedish design known for its high-quality construction, excellent seakeeping abilities, and comfortable interior. However, it comes at a premium price.
* **Valiant 40:** Another well-built and seaworthy boat with a reputation for being fast and easy to handle. It offers a spacious interior with plenty of storage.
* **Najad 370:** A Scandinavian design known for its high-quality construction and comfortable interior. It sails well in a variety of conditions and offers good value for money.

**Modern:**

* **Ovni 370:** A French design with a unique hull shape that provides excellent stability and seakeeping abilities. It is also known for its efficient sail plan and spacious interior.
* **Garcia Exploration 45:** A high-performance boat designed for long-distance cruising. It is built with the latest technology and materials, and offers a comfortable and luxurious interior.
* **Sweden Yachts 45:** A modern Swedish design that combines excellent performance with a comfortable and spacious interior. It is a good choice for couples or small families.
* **Hylas 49:** A well-built and comfortable boat with excellent seakeeping abilities. It is a good choice for families or anyone who wants a spacious and luxurious cruising experience.

**Other notable options:**

* **Rustler 36:** A high-performance boat known for its excellent sailing abilities and light displacement.
* **Tartan 37:** A well-built and well-maintained boat with a good reputation for offshore sailing.
* **Baba 30:** A small but strong and seaworthy boat that is a good choice for couples or solo sailors.
* **Island Packet 38:** A spacious and comfortable boat with a good reputation for offshore sailing.
* **Malo 46:** A high-quality French design known for its excellent seakeeping abilities and luxurious interior.

Ultimately, the best bluewater cruising sailboat for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. It is important to consider factors such as your budget, sailing experience, crew size, desired amenities, and intended cruising destinations.

Here are some additional resources that may be helpful in your research:

https://sailboat.guide/discover/blue-water-boats

https://improvesailing.com/

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...designs-124276

https://www.cruisingworld.com/story/...sed-sailboats/

https://www.yachtworld.com/research/...ing-sailboats/

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...designs-124276

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/t...cruising-boats

https://waterbornemag.com/best-bluewater-sailboats/
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, lease, water