Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 10:22   #121

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 1982 Cheoy Lee 44' total refit

Absolute 10+ vessel and without teak decks! Geees!!! what do these buyers want!
I'm hoping you can get it back to a brokerage where you can ask a price of what she is truly worth.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:24   #122

Beautiful!

What did the refit ultimately cost?

Edit: Oh, I see you wrote over $100K.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 15:12   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I would have thought some one here on the forum would end up buying my boat. A lot of the people on here seem to be the thrifty, save a buck types, and it seems most go cruising far and wide in inexpensive boats. My boat is absolutely perfect for long range cruising and has a crazy long list of equipment all of it new or newer so no fears of things breaking all the time. If I was in the market for a mid 40's cruising boat under $150,000 I would take a look at my boat. For $40k it is a no brainer. Hard to figure.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 17:08   #124

So this is in the Dutch West Indies near Curaçao? We are heading to look at a C&C 48 Landfall in Mexico next week. It needs work. Your boat has me interested.
Old 01-04-2022, 18:04   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyRebel View Post
So this is in the Dutch West Indies near Curaçao? We are heading to look at a C&C 48 Landfall in Mexico next week. It needs work. Your boat has me interested.

Edit: St Maarten. I just saw that.
Old 01-04-2022, 20:54   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I would have thought some one here on the forum would end up buying my boat. A lot of the people on here seem to be the thrifty, save a buck types, and it seems most go cruising far and wide in inexpensive boats.

My feeling is things have changed here on the forum. When I went cruising, a lot of the people here were "getting it together" and going. It seems there is a shift now.

Not sure if you ever checked out the thread.."Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds". It was started seven years ago and has almost 3800 posts. Members find great deals on craigslist, yachtworld, sailboat listings, to name a few and post them. Mostly in the U.S. It is pretty much a few dozen people who are supposedly "looking for the right boat". It was helpful to me because it showed me what was out there and that there were, in fact, great deals out there. I bought my Pearson from a brokerage and glad I waited for the price to drop a little over a year or so. It's a fixer of course. Not like your boat. My point is, that it seems people are living the dream in their minds. I'm hoping they prove me wrong.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 02-04-2022, 04:32   #127

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
I would have thought some one here on the forum would end up buying my boat. A lot of the people on here seem to be the thrifty, save a buck types, and it seems most go cruising far and wide in inexpensive boats. My boat is absolutely perfect for long range cruising and has a crazy long list of equipment all of it new or newer so no fears of things breaking all the time. If I was in the market for a mid 40's cruising boat under $150,000 I would take a look at my boat. For $40k it is a no brainer. Hard to figure.

In my mind- much of the current boat buying craze is catamarans, and folks getting into it. The latter are likely put off by location (ie your boat would sell for much more in FL or MD, long ago)
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:20   #128

i beleived like me there are many doing number crunching asking the bank about loans.

n my case I have been looking aand doing excels of price, location projects ,shipping rates, sailing rates . Also the availability of slips or hard dock aareas. I am now checking with my broker. to see if I cancome up with the cash. then on top of that I am expanding my microbrewery. I even put my experimntal airfraft for sale. the bottom line is. buyer is out there. chuckp
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 13:13   #129

Boat: C&C 34

Do you have any pictures of the aft cabin. Looked through the YachtWorld add and this thread but did not see any.

Thanks
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:54   #130
Marine Service Provider

I am using the aft cabin for storage for the sails etc. Next time I am over at the boat I will try and get a picture.
Old 13-04-2022, 15:55   #131

FWIW, you may've done the work, but your photos don't suggest that 100k has been spent. Many are poor photos. Badly lit and badly composed. I saw lots of close up internal images, but hardly any external. Was the photo showing the hull, a before or after? If after, your photo skills have let you down again, because the hull looks like a dogs dinner.
Why isn't the oven / stove gimballed? Why isn't the washer/dryer covered with a fascia? The workmanship of the drawers next to the washer looks poor. All unfinished, unsymetrical edges.
There appears to be an open letterbox to the left of the top of the companionway.
In short, the main wow factor I saw was how well the wiring seemed to have been done behind the instrument panel. Are you an electrician by any chance?
I'm going off your posts here. Haven't looked at your YachtWorld advertisement.
I'm not being critical for the sake of it. I'm saying what nobody else is saying to you and that is that you need to bring in a professional to help you sell. They might even be able to get you more money.
At the very least. Get a broker on-board and tell them to take the gloves off.
Then act on or disregard their professional advice, as you see fit.
And good luck.
UlstermanAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 19:45   #132
Marine Service Provider

This last post is indicative of everything wrong with the internet and even more so with social media.
A lot of people seem to believe others are interested in their opinions, said opinions coming from a need to be right and for a pat on the head . This is cloaked in a false desire to be helpful.
Prior to the advent of the internet most of us, myself included, realized that the rest of the world knew people did not care much what we thought. But now we have a special breed or people living in mommy's basement surrounded by empty pizza boxes, and 2 gallon bottles of Pepsi typing away day and night looking to be deemed relevant, hoping someone, anyone will listen to whatever drivel they put out. Always experts on every topic, but with no real experience or first hand knowledge of anything. I wish these wet sock puppets would disconnect from the matrix and go out and get a life and leave the rest of us alone.
Old 13-04-2022, 20:47   #133

Boat: Sabre 34II

rourkeh, in my opinion you have done an excellent job at listing each and everything in detail along with tons of photos, most buyers will be lucky if they get to see 3 photos, and even luckier if they are recent. People will criticize on the internet because they can, they don’t appreciate that you have entertained their numerous requests and are still offering to post specific photos and infos. I agree with others that this boat would have sold already if it were in the US, see you can bring her over to FL or Chesapeake. I wish you all the best with the sale.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 21:06   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlstermanAbroad View Post
FWIW, you may've done the work, but your photos don't suggest that 100k has been spent. Many are poor photos. Badly lit and badly composed. I saw lots of close up internal images, but hardly any external. Was the photo showing the hull, a before or after? If after, your photo skills have let you down again, because the hull looks like a dogs dinner.
Why isn't the oven / stove gimballed? Why isn't the washer/dryer covered with a fascia? The workmanship of the drawers next to the washer looks poor. All unfinished, unsymetrical edges.
There appears to be an open letterbox to the left of the top of the companionway.
In short, the main wow factor I saw was how well the wiring seemed to have been done behind the instrument panel. Are you an electrician by any chance?
I'm going off your posts here. Haven't looked at your YachtWorld advertisement.
I'm not being critical for the sake of it. I'm saying what nobody else is saying to you and that is that you need to bring in a professional to help you sell. They might even be able to get you more money.
At the very least. Get a broker on-board and tell them to take the gloves off.
Then act on or disregard their professional advice, as you see fit.
And good luck.

Another tire kicker with an opinion how someone should sell their boat. This is a For Sale ad. Not someone asking for you to critique their ad. That man has put blood, sweat tears and money into that restore. What have you done?
Old 13-04-2022, 21:10   #135

Quote:
This last post is indicative of everything wrong with the internet and even more so with social media.
A lot of people seem to believe others are interested in their opinions, said opinions coming from a need to be right and for a pat on the head . This is cloaked in a false desire to be helpful.
Prior to the advent of the internet most of us, myself included, realized that the rest of the world knew people did not care much what we thought. But now we have a special breed or people living in mommy's basement surrounded by empty pizza boxes, and 2 gallon bottles of Pepsi typing away day and night looking to be deemed relevant, hoping someone, anyone will listen to whatever drivel they put out. Always experts on every topic, but with no real experience or first hand knowledge of anything. I wish these wet sock puppets would disconnect from the matrix and go out and get a life and leave the rest of us alone.

Well said...if it were me, I would first contact the Mods and have that drivel removed. Then call his mother and have her take away the keys from his Moped.

Tags
cheoy lee, refit