Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2023, 09:54   #1

Boat: 32' Sloop, keel/cb, classic by Ted Hood
1975 Bristol 32 Sloop, Keel/CB by Ted Hood

Sadly I must leave sailing and must sell...
Basics:

1975 Bristol 32 Sloop, Keel/CB by Ted Hood (America’s Cup)
Price: $9000 (surveyed at $24K, offshore approved)

Complete Description:

Solid, balanced and still good bones.
Three caring owners, I am the latest. Must sell.

As some may know this wonderful Ted Hood design and was produced between 1966 and 1983, in solid FG (displacement 10,800). A famous, classic wineglass design with lovely overhangs, graceful and well balanced. Heels and hardens up nicely, extending the waterline for good speed. Good in the chop.

It is the perfect Florida and Caribbean island hopping design, with the board up drawing only 4’8”, yet a serious offshore cruising design, board down. Sleeps four. Rugged and solid, well-balanced, hardens up nicely. Originally underpowered with an Atomic 4, the 2nd owner upgraded with a powerful new Yanmar 3GM (now about 100 hours), Sorry but I don’t recall the mast height, but this is NOT a tall rig. I had no problems motoring from West Palm Beach to Fort Myers using the Okeechobee Waterway, so it would be safely less than 49’ over waterline. Bristol was known for its very solid construction, 10,800 pounds.

Clint Pearson, former owner of Bristol Yachts, constructed the 32’s with molded, high-impact reinforced polyester resin, the woven roving hand laid-up with no fillers. In other words, it has a smaller chance of delaminating than other construction methods. This hull is sound, no blisters.
Data and Reviews:
Of note:

Auto-pilot, Edson wheel, beautiful bronze compass, two biminis (one full cockpit, one spray deflector), power and manual anchor winches, two anchors (main with all new chain), new C-Head composting head, new varnished teak laminated dining table, roll of top quality wood laminate enough to upgrade all horizontal surfaces (not necessary, but available), all cushions and curtains in good condition. Solid deck, exceptionally strong hull-deck bonding. Newish (still crinkly) main (reef pts and lazyjacks), 130 (was roller furlered), jib and other backup sails. Good 100 gal water tank, 20 gallon diesel tank.

Upgrades:

All new Yamaha motor mounts, bronze prop reconditioned, balanced and matched to boat. C-Head composter. The original portlight frames were successfully removed, and all new lenses made (ready for easy installation). Lots of little extras, parts, supplies, etc. New rubber dingy with good outboard.

Needed:

Boat was on the hard during the Port Charlotte hurricane, with good hurricane straps. Rear stay snapped in the wind – all the other stays and shrouds held, leading to the mast bent at the stays. The mast repair is reasonable: to be sleeved, and is otherwise in good shape. Bow pulpit was slightly bent, but will be no problem to straighten, no need to replace. Portlight frames and new lenses to be reinstalled. Small fiberglass repair on leading edge of keel, no water intrusion. General clean-up and cosmetics – varnish, interior clean-up/paint.

Your Opportunity:

I am soon to be 78 years old, and sadly my sailing days with “Phoebe” are over. She has been on the hard since 2022, and suffered a bent mast after Hurricane Ian. If I were 10 years younger, there would be no question that I would repair the mast, etc., and enjoy another decade of sailing this wonderful design.

Accordingly my sole goal now is to make sure that “Phoebe” is passed to a good owner; all reasonable offers will be considered. “Phoebe” is located at Safe Cove storage, Port Charlotte, Florida. I am currently out of county but can deliver good title around from the first or second week of October.

Thank you all for your interest. “Phoebe” was surveyed by author/surveyor/engineer Wayne Canning (offshore approved) – PM me and I will send you the complete survey including pictures, and an honest list of extras, upgrades made and limited but needed repairs. Valued then at $24K.

More Pics:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoebe1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	280574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoebe3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	280575  

Click image for larger version