Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2017, 01:10   #76

Re: Jaguar 36 - Coming Back ?

I am not in anyway assosiated with the previous owners.
I would not change the name from Jaguar as I like the name, as well as the desighn.
There will however be a change in the method it is built. I am comsidering using composite materials instead of balsa or laminite. This prevents any possibility of wood rot, and has an added advantage of core strength.
In the production period from 2004 - 2011, over 300 boats were produced I believe with 5 improvements engineered into the mould during this time.
Any enquiries may be directed to me using my e-mail address :
johnpricerov@gmail.com
Jaguar Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:12   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 04:59   #78

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar Cat View Post
I am not in anyway assosiated with the previous owners.
I would not change the name from Jaguar as I like the name, as well as the desighn.
There will however be a change in the method it is built. I am comsidering using composite materials instead of balsa or laminite. This prevents any possibility of wood rot, and has an added advantage of core strength.
In the production period from 2004 - 2011, over 300 boats were produced I believe with 5 improvements engineered into the mould during this time.
Any enquiries may be directed to me using my e-mail address :
johnpricerov@gmail.com
When do you anticipate starting production?

And at what price point?

The market has changed since the Jaguars/Wildcats were originally produced. Back then it was difficult to find a comparable cat (quality of build issues aside) for under $200K. These days, the used cat maket has expanded dramatically which will put pricing pressures on you. Some very good used cats are now available below $200K.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 17:32   #79

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I think the reason you get such polarized opinions on these boats was the dramatic variation in quality of build. Ive seen some that were structurally unsound when brand new and some that were rock solid.

As I understand it, the builds were subcontracted out. So it likely depends on who the individual boat was subbed to and how well they were supervised.

This could I suspect also affect sailing performance in terms of both speed and pointing ability. Some critize the boats as being slow and not pointing. My W35 is certainly not a performance boat (especially not in "cruising trim"...AKA overloaded!), but we still cruise along most of the time at 5 to 7.5 knots depending on conditions under sail only (below 5, I fire up the iron gennie...at least one of them). A bit faster, like 8-8.5, in very favorable conditions (the sweet spot is 15+ knots apparent at about 120d AWA). Highest reasonable under sail only speed is about 10 knots, but thats not a sustainable average. Boat breaks into a surf VERY easily (not always a good thing) maybe due to its wide beam, have surfed to 15 knots. Pointing ability is good, it will happily sail along at 40-45 AWA and will pinch higher if needed (with a drop in speed of course). No strong tendency to round up when pointed high. If motor sailing very close to wind I can get some drive from the sails starting at 30d AWA. The boat will maneuver under sail in light air just fine, but not very quickly.

For a small cruising cat, under sail performance is certainly acceptable. However, with twin MD2020s (rated HP of only 18), performance under power is less than stellar. Power only, static conditions, speed at about 2,200 RPM is 5.5-6.0 knots. Note that 2,200 is lower than Volvo's recommended cruising RPM, but a good compromise in my experience for this boat/engine combination. A bump in HP to an MD2030 or equivalent I think would make a big difference...especially for motoring into bad conditions.

Quality of build on mine was pretty good. Glass work was good except for some gel coat voids...which after 16 years have all been discovered and repaired. Glass work, even in hidden areas, was good. Didn't like the original fuel tank install so replaced with new. Electrical work was very well done. Engine and sail drive install well done. Rigging and related hardware all major brand name and installed properly. Most deck cut outs (for hatches etc) did have the core edges sealed, but not all of them (which Ive corrected). The only spots where Ive had wet core issues were my, or subcontractors, fault. Core on my build stops at water line...well...the design water line anyway. 😉 No delamination issues.

Low bridge deck clearance is the biggest, and unfixable, negative.

Overall the boat has served my uses (cruising, charter, live aboard) just fine. Its not the ultimate cruising cat, but it only had one comma in the price.

Bottom line, as suggested in other posts, be very careful about buying a used one and survey thuroughly.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 18:00   #80

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Seems like by now the bad and good hull numbers would be known.
Old 08-02-2021, 20:43   #81

Boat: Other peoples

What an interesting read.
As a budget used cat they seem a great option.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jaguar