Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 11:40   #61

Boat: wildcat catamaran 10.5m prrrfection
Prrrfection is perfect

I met Eric and Kim Schoeman in 1999 when we ordered our boat - Prrrfection, a wildcat 38. It is a day and decision we have NEVER regretted.
We have been sailing her - 3/4 of the way around the world the past 10 years. We are currently in Fiji. i blog on www.sailblogs.com/member/prrrfection.

Boat building is a tough and difficult business. It is the same all over the world - dead lines are not always met and things can and do go wrong. It is up to the owner to check and double check and then you can go sailing...which is not a bad thing anyway - because you will be out on the blue when something breaks...and then YOU have to fix it.

I speak from experience - she sails and handle well. We do not race with her - she is a cruising boat. She has wide decks, ample room (never enough..but the girls and I would say that of a 54 ' yacht anyway)and has been a wonderful ,wonderful boat, affordable and easy to maintain. When I arrived in BVI with Prrr, I met a well known delivery skipper who told me that his favourite yacht out of all the catamarans manufactured in SA, is a Wildcat...

I can answer questions - but basically I just wanted to lodge my support on this forum for Wildcat (Jaguar) and the Schoeman couple.
I live on such a boat, cruised on it extensively for the past 10 years, so I gather I speak from first hand experience.
Ronelle
prrrfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Not to stir the pot, but consider the sources of information when you try to weigh the positives and negatives. Is someone selling his boat? Hmmm.
Have you heard from someone who has sold the boat? Who is the most defensive? What source has no vested interest?

And keep this fact in mind. A bad reputation, no matter how it's acquired, is going to remain well past the time you decide to sell this dream boat. Really, really low prices are the first clue.

But you may be thinking it doesn't matter because you plan to keep it forever. Sorry; nobody buys his last boat first, unless its a total disaster.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:13   #63

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
All rather academic because they went bankrupt again! The last few I saw built this time round were horrible! I think some of the earlier boats would have been OK considering their price. I have seen enough getting delamination fixed in CT to make me steer away. The reality is if you can find a good one you can get it at a good price. The hard part is telling if it is a good one.
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 00:40   #64

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
I haven't posted on here in a couple years but since then I sold my Wildcat 350 in Feb '09 to a family from Australia ($131K) who then sailed her from Florida to Trinidad and back. Nice long Caribbean journey. I then sold ($122,500) her again (yep, I'm a broker) and she nows sits down in Cancun where her new owner has sailed her to. They went via Key West, Havana/Cuba then to Cancun. There were a few issues with Delam but not anything that wasn't repairable. For a cruising cat in the <$200K range I would still recommend a Wildcat or Jaguar.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 02:13   #65

Re: Jaguar 36 - Coming Back ?

Does anyone have any updates on Charter Cats, were they able to re-start the business?

The website I found is under construction, any idea how long it's been this way?

Any reports out of S. Africa on where they're headedas for as boat building?

All the Best,
Leon
Saucierlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29   #66

Boat: 04 CharterCats SA, Jaguar 36 - "MiKat"

Leon,

I don't think the Schoeman's will be back in business. They retired prior to their inlaws ruined the business.

My 2 cents again… I’ve cruised my 2004 Jaguar over 25000 miles without a problem and have met at least 10+ others throughout the world and every single one loved the boat, and reported non of these issues. I’ve never seen or heard of delamination or horrible sailing characteristics except on these forums. Not to say it can't happen but it can happen to any boat not just this one but its usually the result of damage. A lot of Jaguar/Wildcat owners use the boats, they take a lot of punishment and endure harsh conditions sailing around the world.

They usually sell for much more than their original cost and that speaks enough for the boat. Try to get more than paid for a French cat. I met a German couple a few years ago that bought one of the first Wildcats and cruised it all over the world for 11 years and recently sold it for more than they paid. So I guess this “bad reputation” doesn’t hurt the value much. So you forum guys rag on...while we sail the world.
akmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42   #67

Mike,

I don't put any merrit in a lot of the trash I've read either, I've been in maintenance for major oil companies all my career, I've seen some horrors in a lot of great equipment.
I like the boat, I love the design, I'll do my own maintenance.. There are a few boats for sale, I just finished finished squaring away the property I'll be keeping the boat at, I hope to purchase a boat in early spring.
Is there a chance that you know of anyone that charters their Charter Cat that I may sail with to gain a few pointers on tuning and general do's a don'ts..

Leon
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Balance 526

360 Yachting has a 36' Jaguar for charter in Key Largo FL.

360 Yachting Carribean Yacht Charters

-Dave
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Leon (Saucierlm).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41   #70
RSC

Boat: Wildcat 35

Hi All.

Had Wildcat 2002 model, bought in 2006. Loved the boat and sailed it for four years. Surveyed when bought, no problems detected. Surveyed out when on dry for anti-fouling after two years (2008) no problems.

Wanted to upgrade to bigger cat in 2011- sale was signed pending survey on Wildcat. Survey done - DISASTER. Could not believe survey result, had it redone at different harbour different, also independant surveyor - SAME RESULT. Had reputable yacht builder look at it with the view of repairing it - would not even consider doing the repairs. Boat was sold for less than HALF its value to somebody willing to take on the risk and the repairs.

What were the problems:
a) Massive delamination spots, both hulls inside and outside of both hulls.
b) Paper thin fibre glass on some part of starboard inside hull.

I am not writing this to debate Wildcats, they are very good(well designed) and comfortable boats to sail in any seas but in my case I had to conclude the following:
1) The boat was seemingly without problems for a couple of years as evidenced by surveys.
2) Problems developed following an 18 hour trip in very rough conditions.
Thus, it seems that through natural laminate stress the fibre glass skins sheared away from the inner core. This may be due to bad building practise OR posibly due to problems with the resin/glue deteriorating with time.

Conclusion: The boat was good for years but problems apparently developed when hulls were stressed causing delamination.

Thus, please have regular surveys done when you own one of these boats.
RSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:30   #71

Thanks RSC,

Your report has been the best record to date, thanks for taking the time to help out.

Can I get your comments on the Wildcat's handling, was it difficult to sail as some of the reports have concluded?

Best Regards,
Old 12-12-2012, 07:59   #72
RSC

Boat: Wildcat 35

No problem with the sailing characteristics of the Wildcat 35. Had a problem in the beginning, boat turned into the wind constantly at low (<18knot) wind speed. So much so that I had to counter with the opposite engine. Discussed this problem with Eric Schoeman. He suggested I should extend the rudders. I made them 12 inches longer and 5 inches longer (wider) to stern. Also made a V-groove (very small) in the "stern line" of the rudder extention to cause a slight "vortex" effect. This helped tremendously and the boat handled like a "hoby cat" - well not quite. I did lose about 0.5k on speed in general. Rest of the sailing on the Wildcat is just use the same principles as on any other cat.

Enjoy you boats, they are good, just keep an eye on the maintenance.
RSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 16:28   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboater View Post
Jaguar 36 has a brand new site up at jaguarcat.co.za. I spoke to someone named Eric Schoeman who claims to be the founder of the original company before a son-in-law drove it into liquidation, claims to be the owner of the molds, claims to be hands-on in his new yard making several 36s now with slightly redesigned hulls, claims to be making some new molds for new models, claims to have done a small boat show recently, and genuinely seems to be the real deal on the phone for whatever that's worth. I'm obviously concerned about handing over money to someone half-way around the world who is not clearly established and known in the industry. But, I'm very interested in the Jaguar 36 b/c I want to stay at or under 40 feet and don't like other options (FP Mahe 36 is crazy overpriced -- $350k w/ gen/air -- and layouts don't appeal, Seawind and Lavezzi and Leopard 40s are too pricey and I can't even stand up straight in the Leopard helm). Has anyone heard anything about the Jaguar 36 coming back? Anyone know this guy Eric? Anyone have other tips for me, including anything from using a performance bond to other ideas?
Hello Steamboater,
I have bought the moulds foom Eric and his daughter.
I am having them refurbished, as they were neglected and in need of repair. If any one is requiring parts or a boat built, they are welcome to contact me.
Jaguar Cat.
Jaguar Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 19:02   #74

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG

The Wildcat 350 and Jaguar 36 were quite nice cats for the price. I notice that the previous entry to this forum was 4 1/2 years ago. Would be interesting if another builder came along and starting producing the Jaguar 36 again. I would assume they'd be under a different manufacturers name.
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 20:09   #75

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Nothing up on the web site...so Im guessing not.

If they do, hopefully they will have better leadership and no association with anyone from the old company.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jaguar