Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 02:51   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
We are considering wintering in Tunisia and have considered Monastir and Port Jasmine (Yasmine)
Is anyone familiar with these two marinas? I would like to know which would be preferable between the two.

From what I have been able to find out the Port Yasmine in Hammamet is newer, but Monastir may have more winter residents and may have a better feel during the winter. We don't want to be the only ones around.

Any and all comments on these marinas and Tunisia in general are appreciated. Also, if anyone has links to relevant articles or reviews, they are welcomed also. We need info...
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 23:35   #2

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Winter in Tunisia - Monastir or Yasmine

No personal knowledge of either but have talked with several people familiar with both. Every one of them has recommended Monastir over Port Jasmine. Port Jasmine is said to be far away from any shopping and requires a taxi to do anything. The businesses near the marina close for the winter season. Monastir supposedly has a good liveaboard community. Monastir is not considered safe for leaving on hardstand because of theft issues in the boatyard....which is not a problem for boats in the water. With the current anti-American protests there, we have eliminated either from our possible places to winter next year. YMMV.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 01:49   #3

Judy, Since writing this we made a deposit at Monastir for the winter and then changed plans when the US State Dept pulled staff and issued the warnings in September. We were a week away from being there when the "S hit the F." So we said goodby to the 300€ deposit ($390) and changed plans.

We have talked to people that have been in Monastir and they all say there are no problems, but I think it is still unsettled, so I would rather not be there. I have heard the same about Jasmine and the consensus is that Monastir has more character. If we do go later I think it will be to Monastir.
Old 25-11-2012, 02:54   #4

Boat: Westerly Renown

Yes, I've been in Monastir, like all Tunisia it's a dump but a very good harbour and only a couple of minutes walk to the shops ( such as they are ).
Also there's an airport very close by.
The main group of yotties in Monastir are French hiding their boats from the taxman!
Be very careful in Tunisia over the boat's equipment and anything they might consider you have imported as , many years ago, the authorities tried to charge my friend duty on a lot of his gear that had been stolen whilst the boat was unattended in Monastir - on the basis that the stolen stuff was still here!
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 04:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb
the authorities tried to charge my friend duty on a lot of his gear that had been stolen whilst the boat was unattended in Monastir - on the basis that the stolen stuff was still here!
Wow..first your stuff gets stolen and then they want you to pay taxes. That's not very nice at all.
Old 25-11-2012, 05:05   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
No personal knowledge of either but have talked with several people familiar with both. Every one of them has recommended Monastir over Port Jasmine. Port Jasmine is said to be far away from any shopping and requires a taxi to do anything. The businesses near the marina close for the winter season. Monastir supposedly has a good liveaboard community. Monastir is not considered safe for leaving on hardstand because of theft issues in the boatyard....which is not a problem for boats in the water. With the current anti-American protests there, we have eliminated either from our possible places to winter next year. YMMV.
Judy
I spent a few weeks in Yasmine Marina in 2007. There is a large supermarket just five minutes walk from the marina and a small shopping strip with vegetables and an excellent bakery just outside the gated community perhaps a other five minutes away. In Hammamet (a short taxi ride away) there were dozens of stores selling marine goods. Also lots of wonderful spice shops and hammams. The marina was near new then, very clean, well run with a security guard at the end of each pontoon. Theft was not a problem. There were dozens of liveaboards of mixed nationalities, but this has probably decreased since the political strife. Having any work done on your boat was very expensive there though, many boats went down to Monastir if they needed a haulout.
The info is now a bit dated, but hope some of it may help.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Does anybody have any recent update on Yasmine. I am considering leaving my boat there for a year from next May and visiting occasionally. My primary concern is security for an unaccompanied boat. Would anybody be particularly concerned about Yasmine in this regard?
whacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker View Post
Does anybody have any recent update on Yasmine. I am considering leaving my boat there for a year from next May and visiting occasionally. My primary concern is security for an unaccompanied boat. Would anybody be particularly concerned about Yasmine in this regard?
I think the member 'chuckr' is wintering in Yasmine this year. Hopefully he may respond on the thread, otherwise send him a PM. If posted here, other members may find the info useful as well.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:50   #9

Boat: Leopard 38

I would be concerned, if it would be my boat, although haven't been there lately. All I heard is, that security still cannot be guaranteed in Tunesia. The country is far away from stability. No wonder by those neighbors.
Why don't you consider greece for overwintering? Good reasonable prices, lots of marinas, good friendly people, and good transportation (either way for you or in case you need parts).
I might be able to help you on that, even watch your boat, if in the same marina.
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32   #10

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker View Post
We had our boat in Port Yasmine since September 2012. I was quiet happy with the marina. Staff is friendly, fuel is cheap, security is good, customs and immigrations are in the marina, also friendly and efficient. Hired somebody who looked after the boat, as we were absent for 10 months and this worked well. One hour drive from Tunis Carthage airport for € 35.- Outside the marine there are always taxis for a ride to Hammamet for around € 5.-
Restaurants in Port Yasmine I can not really recommend, but there are many nice ones in Hammamet.
Supermarket is within walking distance from Marina and there is also a good laundry service.
Regarding the political situation: except the occasional police check-point, we did not notice anything.
Hope this helps, if you need more info pm me.
Cheers
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:42   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 54DS

Many thanks to all who replied....really helpful info!

Sinbad - Thank you for info...I might contact you again later when I firm up on my plans.
whacker is offline   Reply With Quote