Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2023, 10:20   #1

season in Bahamas, your routing insight needed (??)

Hello all! I am working to come up with a plan for the upcoming season, mid-December to mid-May, for cruising the Bahamas in our bluewater trawler (6'7" draft, anchorages preferred and marinas when necessary)

Looking for suggestions on building out a route, if it makes most sense to cruise a particular area for the earlier part of the season (dec/jan) when cold fronts may be prevalent ...then keeping her (slowly) moving as the season progresses. Jumentos, Exumas, Eleuthera, Abacos are all goals, open to wherever, and in no particular order.....the question would be is there a recommended particular order? Its a wide open question but it will be our first full season in the bahamas so always appreciate insight from those before me. Kind Regards.
elbowtidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 10:32   #2

Boat: Beneteau 423
Re: season in Bahamas, your routing insight needed (??)

On our two trips in a monohull sailboat, we have preferred to get to the Exumas and stay south until ready to start working our way north as the weather improves with fewer cold fronts. Leaving as early as you are looking to do I would tend to take that same approach. You can see our trips here:
https://juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 11:44   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The big problem in winter time thru' spring are the norther's which will rumble into town so to speak and often extend quite far south.
This means off course, wind from all four quadrants for a period of time, so be on the lookout for spots to anchor or moor or dock that offer some protection.
Quite a few such spots are available in the Exuma's and a handful in the Abaco's and elsewhere.

Alternately, stay in a spot, but be ready to move when the wind starts to shift to another quadrant. Wind shifts may happen at night, so plan carefully.

Several parts of the islands will broadcast the weather, usually some or other boat. These schedules vary, but you will likely hear the broadcast times on vhf.
Be mindful, that in the B'mas, the vhf is used much like a telephone.

If you are equipped with Ham radio, you can get the local weather too on several nets.

Moving at night is not recommended. There are no aids to navigation anywhere, and most places require eyeball navigation.

6'7" draft is doable, but may require that you anchor out further than you'd prefer.
Tidal ranges in the B'mas are quite small, so be mindful of the state of the tide if trying to pick your way thru' a shoal area.

In a lot of place, 8' is considered deep.
Some of the cuts in the Exuma's have quite swift tidal flow. Wind against the tide can make some of these cuts untenable.

With a 6'7" draft, you might find easier going in offshore jumps.

If you havn't been to the B'mas before, you get might unnerved by seeing the bottom so close to the keel of your boat as the water is crystal clear, but after a while, you'll get used to it.

Running aground is not the end of the world though as more than likely it will be soft sand. You'll find that any yachties in the area will be quick to lend a helping hand.

There are several guide books available. These are most useful as they contain a trove of local knowledge. A guide book in hand is better than watching an electronic chart in my humble opinion.

Have fun.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 12:25   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=MicHughV;3845937

With a 6'7" draft, you might find easier going in offshore jumps.

If you havn't been to the B'mas before, you get might unnerved by seeing the bottom so close to the keel of your boat as the water is crystal clear, but after a while, you'll get used to it.
[/QUOTE]

I have been 4 times in a 6'4" draft and don't think an extra 3" would have made any difference. The only place I have bumped bottom are at marinas.

I still get unerved looking into the water, so sometimes I just don't!
Old 27-11-2023, 16:05   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbowtidwell View Post
Its a wide open question but it will be our first full season in the bahamas so always appreciate insight from those before me.
I've more or less followed Emily and Clark's suggested route to Georgetown, Exuma, for my first season in the Bahamas with good results. I recommend you get the Explorer Charts for the Bahamas. Safe travels!

HTH
Dirk

krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 17:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There is a 99.999% chance you will hook up with other sailors, be it power or sail, and many folk often travel in a group, especially those new to the area.
But it won't take long to feel comfortable travelling on your own.

The B'mas are magic, there is simply no other place like it. You could spend a lifetime there and not see it all and for US residents, it's just across the ways a bit.

Getting there can sometimes be a throw of the dice in December as one has to deal with the Gulf Stream to get there, so pick your weather carefully, as a norther blowing against the GS can build nasty seas. Sometimes, a one front after the other comes sweeping down in December, which can be frustrating. Prior to a front, the wind will swing to the SW, a good time to jump across. In a power boat you will have options not available to a sailboat.

Folk cross during the day and night. With GPS now common on every boat, crossing is relatively simple.

Again, you are likely to come across others also wanting to make the jump across and many people cross over as a group.

Patience is required to pick a good weather window, and there are several ports to jump off from, which becomes a personal choice.

As I've said before, have fun !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas