Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2017, 06:53   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: California Harbors of Refuge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Cojo, and other kelpy anchorages make me glad to have the folding prop!

Ann
Another reason I like my long keel, rudder attached and prop I can lift out! Just slide over everything.... except its sometimes seductive.... there are places that have shallow rock outcrops hiding in those kelp beds!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:26   #17

The first time into any anchorage can be difficult to make a positive ID. Much like your first overnight sail. It is far easier the second time. On my first trip down the coast I also anchored behind (if my memory is correct) Piedras Blancas. The local Monterey fishermen told me about it. I only used that spot once. I met the owner of the house up on the cliffs above Pfeiffer Cove and he said that in a big NW blow he would see half of the Monterey fishing fleet sitting it out in the cove. The Big Sur Coast is such a magnificent sight , that it seems a shame to pass it off shore at night. Just another opinion. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:00   #18

My understanding of the phrase 'Harbour of Refuge' is that it's a harbour (not anchorage, though you may well anchor in a harbour) that it is possible to enter in all conditions. All the others are just harbours.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:07   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The first time into any anchorage can be difficult to make a positive ID. Much like your first overnight sail. It is far easier the second time. On my first trip down the coast I also anchored behind (if my memory is correct) Piedras Blancas. The local Monterey fishermen told me about it. I only used that spot once. I met the owner of the house up on the cliffs above Pfeiffer Cove and he said that in a big NW blow he would see half of the Monterey fishing fleet sitting it out in the cove. The Big Sur Coast is such a magnificent sight , that it seems a shame to pass it off shore at night. Just another opinion. ____Grant.
Boy do I agree. Did you ever try the cove right under Point Sur? I haven’t but a friend did long ago and said it was fine. One of these days with good weather and plenty of time I’d like to poke along the coastline from San Simeon to Monterey and check out all the fishermen’s coves... maybe even sneak into Whalers Cove... always wanted to do that....
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:46   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When Jim and I started cruising full time, back in March of '89, we overnighted in Stillwater Cove, under the Pebble Beach Golf Course. The next morning was magic. All the harbor seals got to rushing around, the water was seething with them, and then, suddenly, as we watched, they all surged out to sea, apparently on a migration. We got the hook up, the entertainment being over for the day, and headed out and then south. There was fog, and I saw a "fog bow", my only one in all these years, like a silver arch over the land which we were leaving..... It was like a blessing on our life style change, our new life to come.

A.

Tags
cal, california