Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2022, 06:45   #1

Boat: Irwin 40 MKII
BVI to Fort Myers Beach

Hi, I'm a competent sailor with a few years under my belt, but I've never sailed from the Virgin Islands this time of year.

I'm looking for suggestions for routes. I'm thinking of running up the slot just north of Cuba...

Thoughts?
SailingOblio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 07:50   #2

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: BVI to Fort Myers Beach

Very interesting, I am leaving SXM tonight for the US.
Been sailing in the Bahamas and Caribbean since the mid seventies and I have never gone that route but have considered it.
However speaking with experienced people, they talk about all the commercial traffic going through that route. Guess with proper diligence and AIS should not be a problem.
Also I do not think there is a place to bail if weather deteriorates. Having stated that I do realize ocean going yachts should be capable in dealing with adversity...probably better than the people who sail them.
Lastly, right now looks like there are north winds although light for now along the east coast starting in a few days so when you get through what are your plans for the GS?
I am certainly no expert however I am staying east of the Bahamas or at least you can pass to the west of the T&C's and keep your options open.
Also there are some fronts coming off Florida that can be quite wicked in the Northern Bahamas. So the North West current flow in the Bahama Chanel could set up for quite a chop if the wind backs to the north.
Will decide later today after I receive my last forecast on what lies ahead.
Wish you well.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 09:09   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've done the Old Bahama Channel route twice, nonstop from SVI to Ft Lauderdale. Once the winds were light, once I had 20-25 up the bum. Traffic was not a problem. I would take it again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 13:20   #4

I heard of the same thing from another. Thanks for your opinion �� ��
Old 21-05-2022, 05:23   #5

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Done St.Croix to Key West the Bahama Chanel has lots of traffic with big freighters moving 20+ if you stay on the North side in 20 feet of water you’ll be fine. Most of these guys draft much deeper.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 05:40   #6

You could mostly day sail it by doing The Thorny Path in reverse. It involves sailing up the outer Bahana Islands. Great cruise if you can take your time.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 06:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

A friend who regularly delivers boats from the BVI to the US East Coast once pointed out to me that, when you get to the Gulf Stream, if the weather is not what you thought it would be, (i.e. out of the North) and the Gulf Stream was really rough, then there is no bailout or alternative route. For that reason, he always goes through the Providence Channel, up by Nassau, having gotten there by various routes. That way, when he gets to the Gulf Stream, he has lots of options. Depending on your draft and mast height, it might not even be out of your way, if you can take the Okeechobee Channel across Forida, but I am guessing that the Irwin 40 you may be sailing would have to great an air draft. Still, staying out of a really nasty Gulf Stream crossing sounds like a reasonable idea!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2022, 06:44   #8

We're bringing a 50' Beneteau with a 6' draft back. It's too big to bring through the ditch.
My Irwin is also rigged too tall... l'm not concerned with going north to go south. I'm staying south of the Bahamas...

Tags
BVI, fort myers