Very interesting, I am leaving SXM tonight for the US.
Been sailing in the Bahamas
since the mid seventies and I have never gone that route
but have considered it.
However speaking with experienced people, they talk about all the commercial
traffic going through that route
. Guess with proper diligence and AIS
should not be a problem.
Also I do not think there is a place to bail if weather
deteriorates. Having stated that I do realize ocean going yachts should be capable in dealing with adversity...probably better than the people who sail them.
Lastly, right now looks like there are north winds although light for now along the east coast
starting in a few days so when you get through what are your plans for the GS?
I am certainly no expert however I am staying east of the Bahamas
or at least you can pass to the west of the T&C's and keep your options open.
Also there are some fronts coming off Florida
that can be quite wicked in the Northern Bahamas. So the North West current
flow in the Bahama Chanel could set up for quite a chop if the wind
backs to the north.
Will decide later today after I receive my last forecast
on what lies ahead.
Wish you well.