Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2021, 13:12   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Winter Footwear

My last boat was a cruising cat with a very dry ride. I wore whatever I wanted, seldom water resistant. In the winter the focus was on wind resistance in clothing.

Now my cockpit gets some spray if it sporting out, and the transom is open and occasionally gets washed by a following wave. I tried wet shoe boots, but I don't like the fit or support (I have several) and they are clammy.

The last two winters, my foot wear has been regular deck shoes and Gill waterproof socks. Warm enough above freeze, even wading in water, with the agility of deck shoes rather than boots. Not cheap, but cozy. I also have other good socks of other brands (Randy Sun).

https://www.gillmarine.com/waterproof-boot-sock/

What do you like?
Old 09-12-2021, 13:47   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Winter Footwear

Well, the obvious answer is sea boots.

I have the Musto gore tex ones. With warm socks they're fine. Only drawback is they're a birch to get on and off. They are pretty flexible so not clompy and awkward.

I occasionally sail in below freezing temperatures so perhaps somewhat harder duty than yours. If spray is freezing, you have to be really careful not to let any water get into anything, so waterproof socks wouldn't be enough. If it's really bad, I wear a drysuit, then it doesn't matter what happens with your shoes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 15:15   #3

pirate Re: Winter Footwear

I have hot sweaty feet year round. Like you, I wear sealskinz waterproof socks with keens in the winter and if it's really cold I will switch from keens to Gill Aquatech dinghy sailing shoes over the socks. Seems to work for me in the mid Atlantic winter. I found boots like xtratufs were effective at keeping out the sea water, but my feet were just as drenched and cold from sweat.
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 15:40   #4

tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 13:31   #5

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I just got my first pair of xtratuf boots. So far i'm fairly happy with them.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 18:05   #6

Boat: Other peoples

In regard to sea boots. I found my feet sweats in them (socks on). Is there a tip with them, waterproof socks? Wool socks?
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 19:45   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Merino wool socks. Read the fine print, as most are rubbish. 50% or more.

Boots shouldn’t be tight , you need air movement.
Old 01-01-2022, 21:36   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Do you guys save the boots for when it is raining hard, any time there is a sprinkle or some spray, or do you wear them all winter, regardless of whether it is wet?
Old 01-01-2022, 22:27   #9

Boat: Amigo 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebtrois View Post
Gill Aquatech dinghy sailing shoes over the socks. S

That (5 mm nepoprene boot, mine are Hiko brand) is what I use kayaking and canoeing when I expect to be in the water. Either just over socks, or over the dry suit socks (with a thick wool sock inside). You can also go for a thick neoprene sock over a wool sock, inside whatever shoe you prefer (nice for fording spring rivers in the north).

I have not tried them myself, but heard good reports, but the NRS Boundary boot (https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk...y-boots-detail) is supposed to the very nice in cold water. Popular with border season canoeists, ice cold northern streams, etc. Being rugged enough for portaging canoes around impassible stretches, and safe for swimming rapids. They are on my list of "gear to get".

Neoprene generally can have some minor seeps in the seams/welds, but since the material itself is insulating the small amount of water soon warms up and cause no real discomfort (apart from swampy feet after a long day).
ParL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 13:42   #10

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
My last boat was a cruising cat with a very dry ride. I wore whatever I wanted, seldom water resistant. In the winter the focus was on wind resistance in clothing.

Now my cockpit gets some spray if it sporting out, and the transom is open and occasionally gets washed by a following wave. I tried wet shoe boots, but I don't like the fit or support (I have several) and they are clammy.

The last two winters, my foot wear has been regular deck shoes and Gill waterproof socks. Warm enough above freeze, even wading in water, with the agility of deck shoes rather than boots. Not cheap, but cozy. I also have other good socks of other brands (Randy Sun).

https://www.gillmarine.com/waterproof-boot-sock/

What do you like?
Buy these!!
https://www.gillmarine.com/offshore-boot/
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 15:21   #11

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Depending on how wet it is (rain, snow, wind on the nose) I wear either HH sea boots with the built in gator (no longer available) or neoprene diving booties.

If I am wearing the HH boots which are insulated, I still wear thick Merino wool socks (usually Ice Breaker). As noted in an earlier post, they tend to be a bit "clompy", probably because of the relatively thick soles.