Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2020, 17:50   #1

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
Cold-and-Wet-Weather footwear

Hello!

I wanted to join in on a thread about sailing shoes, but 1) it would've hijacked the subject, and 2) people whose opinions I respect (Hi Sailorboy1) were saying "no shoes."

I sail in cold, wet, miserable places. I go barefoot until about 50 degrees (10ºC), and then I need something on my feet. For persistent fog, I like smart wool socks and woolen shoes with good grip treated with various water repellants that I can kick off in a second if I need to.

For extended downpours in 45ºF (<10ºC), I have never found a solution that I like.

Who has good shoes? (I'll accept condescending remarks as long as you have content. Extra points if your put-down includes a link to a good sailing shoe. )
Old 09-12-2020, 18:10   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Cold-and-Wet-Weather footwear

Yeah, good thread. Like you, my cruising grounds are on the cooler side. I do like to be in bare feet when the sun is up, but when weather turns, and especially when it's wet, my go-to is a rubber-soled neoprene bootie.

This gives me all the flexibility and sense of contact as going bare footed, but with added traction, and protection. I get wet, but stay warm. And if it's especially cold I wear gortex socks over warm wool socks.

These are also great for dinghy rides when you've got to hop out in the surf. All around, I've found the booties to be far more versatile and functional than deck boots that I used to wear.
Old 09-12-2020, 18:19   #3

Not sure which brand my current ones are, but they look similar to this:

Old 09-12-2020, 18:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not sure which brand my current ones are, but they look similar to this:

They look awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a picture.
Old 09-12-2020, 18:24   #5

Boat: boatless currently

Xtratuf boots are very popular in Alaska and Washington. I have a pair and like them.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 19:40   #6

DuBarry
will keep you warm and dry
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 22:55   #7

In rubber boots, my feet get cold from trapped sweat regardless of what combination of sock types used. Am trying Dubarry goretex boots now. So far so good. Not cheap.
SV Tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:47   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Another vote for DuBarry's. Had them about 17 years. Had the soles replaced once. Warm and dry.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:54   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

I have had several good pairs of Goretex boots over the years and never been entirely happy with them. Like others, neoprene is my first choice when it is wet on the boat, as long as it is not too cold.

In really cold weather where keeping feet dry is the goal my first choice would be something like the Bean Boots. I would get the 6" ones so as to be able to fasten the cuffs of rainpants around them.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/3117...recsbottom.pdp

Unfortunately, they don't come in my size.
Old 10-12-2020, 13:13   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Hello!

I wanted to join in on a thread about sailing shoes, but 1) it would've hijacked the subject, and 2) people whose opinions I respect (Hi Sailorboy1) were saying "no shoes."

I sail in cold, wet, miserable places. I go barefoot until about 50 degrees (10ºC), and then I need something on my feet. For persistent fog, I like smart wool socks and woolen shoes with good grip treated with various water repellants that I can kick off in a second if I need to.

For extended downpours in 45ºF (<10ºC), I have never found a solution that I like.

Who has good shoes? (I'll accept condescending remarks as long as you have content. Extra points if your put-down includes a link to a good sailing shoe. )

I'm curious as to why you would need to kick them off in a second. Please don't say to swim. Or maybe you are thinking about boots.

You didn't say what you didn't like about the shoes. Cold? Probably net if you are barefoot at 55F. Grip? Most sailing shoes are better than bare feet. Dry? Boots or something waterproof, not wool and water repellents. I don't think we know what you want.

As for a link, assuming you hate boots, try these. Very warm.

https://www.gillmarine.com/waterproof-socks/
Old 10-12-2020, 14:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm curious as to why you would need to kick them off in a second. Please don't say to swim. Or maybe you are thinking about boots.

You didn't say what you didn't like about the shoes. Cold? Probably net if you are barefoot at 55F. Grip? Most sailing shoes are better than bare feet. Dry? Boots or something waterproof, not wool and water repellents. I don't think we know what you want.

As for a link, assuming you hate boots, try these. Very warm.

Thanks on the socks, Thinwater. Definitely will look them up.

Here's the situation for which I hate boots: If you are soloing on a Soling and fall in for whatever reason, she'll round up and stop, and depending on the water temperature, you have about 30-45 seconds to swim back and pull yourself back up and on board. It's a lot faster with footwear that you can kick off, and you don't want to spend those seconds reaching down and pulling off boots while choppy waves are trying to get in your mouth. It's easier to swim without boots, but the bigger issue here is pulling yourself back onto the boat. I can pull 170 pounds of me up and over the side, but with waterlogged boots, it's like doing a pull-up with a weight slung from your hips.

None of this is a consideration for offshore sailing on a boat with high freeboard like my beloved Bavaria, which is what I assume you were thinking when you wrote "please don't say it's for swimming." For that, if I'm shorthanded, I'm harnessed to the boat.

As for grip, I have waterproof Gortex boots that are great for climbing and hiking, but I find them to be clunky on deck. I feel more in control of my grip when my feet can feel the texture of the various things they step on. I dunno. Why do some American football players wear shortsleeve jerseys during games in subzero weather? I guess it makes them more comfortable moving around.

For the cruiser, I am going to look up those DuBarrys, since a lot of you swear by them. Life has shown that price is not a deterrent for proper, functional footwear!
Old 10-12-2020, 14:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
...As for a link, assuming you hate boots, try these. Very warm.

These are the things I wear inside the booties if it's cold and wet. I'll even put another insulating sock on if it's really chilly (remember, I cruise Newfoundland, so I know cold .)
Old 10-12-2020, 15:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
These are the things I wear inside the booties if it's cold and wet. I'll even put another insulating sock on if it's really chilly (remember, I cruise Newfoundland, so I know cold .)
Mike knows cold, for sure.

These socks also look really good for when you go below, especially if there's a little moisture on the sole.

Tags
weather