Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Weather | Gear, Reports and Resources
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 15:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Weather window for rounding cape hatteras next 3 days.

No weather window for an outside run for sure.. even I'm not that dumb.. whats the draft of the boat.. if not excessive you could run the ICW.. 6hr hop to Oriental.. then measure/plan daily legs from there.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 16:12   #17

Boat: cal 2-25
Re: Weather window for rounding cape hatteras next 3 days.e

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No weather window for an outside run for sure.. even I'm not that dumb.. whats the draft of the boat.. if not excessive you could run the ICW.. 6hr hop to Oriental.. then measure/plan daily legs from there.
Thanks boatman ! I'm sure the draft should allow it. It's a new Bavaria 46 and the guy making the calls I would think has delivered at least one of them I would think. But that's just it I don't know the captain but was under the impression they were to do the trip outside and so far it has been. I was just wanting to confirm that the weather did not seem to be fit for that.

And your chiming in that way tells me it's not something they want to do if in fact that was indeed their plan. Thanks a ton!!

SS
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 16:22   #18

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Weather window for rounding cape hatteras next 3 days.

The new Bavaria Cruise is spec'd with a mast height of 20.75m = 68ft.

http://www.bavariayachts.com/pdf/201...r_Brochure.pdf

Bridges are 65 +/- a couple ft for tides, and Wilkerson is only 64ft. There are ways to lean over the boat to reduce mast height, but this isn't easily done. I understand them looking for going outside.

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 16:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
The new Bavaria Cruise is spec'd with a mast height of 20.75m = 68ft.

http://www.bavariayachts.com/pdf/201...r_Brochure.pdf

Bridges are 65 +/- a couple ft for tides, and Wilkerson is only 64ft. There are ways to lean over the boat to reduce mast height, but this isn't easily done. I understand them looking for going outside.

Dirk
You are very likely spot on. Not sure the model but it was a 46. That may very likely be what's going on.

Well hopefully their 4 day will be better thought out and hang tight until better weather. Hate reading bad news. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 13-03-2015, 08:13   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

This link may give you a better pic of winds.

earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions
Old 13-03-2015, 09:53   #21

Boat: Alberg 35

Just a note on the Chesapeake. Not sure from the post how far north you're going but there is a Safety Zone due to ice north of Kent Island until April 15.
Federal Register, Volume 80 Issue 45 (Monday, March 9, 2015)
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 10:13   #22

Hello: My concern would be your "Captain" Have you checked out his credentials, is he qualified and or certified, or "I sailed a boat once and now I am Captain because my wife the Admiral said I could be?"

Les
Les Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 10:52   #23

48 hours Beaufort to the Deltaville, VA area w/o head winds. This thread illustrates the desirabilty of a mast height <65'. The stretch of the ICW which allows avoiding Hatteras is a very usefull tool in the sailors' box. Being halfway between Cape Hatteras and Cape Henry in detereorating conditions is not a pleasant place to be, especially if your mast is too high to go in at Oregon Inlet.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 10:57   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Looks like theres no good weather the whole week.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:14   #25

Thanks everyone for all the valuable input. My friends are well on there way by now as last contact was a departure of Beaufort nc at 12 00 est. The route as I understand is on the inside but avoiding the one low bridge by some detour I'm not familiar with. Now there are only 3 aboard as the two young ladies left and returned to Charleston. I feel much better that they are at least not trying to do a round of cape hatterass.

As far as the considerations regarding the captains abilities I have to guess that he is skilled and competent. Had me a bit concerned but as I stated I do not know him so he has the benefit of doubt at this point.

I have learned over time that captain can be a very loose term in some circles outside the military. Competence is not gained merely by a piece of paper nor certain classes but by experience in all conditions and the ability to foresee potential problems well before they become a serious issue and the ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions.

Thanks again to CF members who are always willing to share their valuable opinions and positions to help their fellow sailors. After all we are all in the same boat in many ways. As far as I am concerned this thread can close with positive results achieved.
SS
Old 13-03-2015, 14:09   #26
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsailor View Post
Thanks everyone for all the valuable input. My friends are well on there way by now as last contact was a departure of Beaufort nc at 12 00 est. The route as I understand is on the inside but avoiding the one low bridge by some detour I'm not familiar with. Now there are only 3 aboard as the two young ladies left and returned to Charleston. I feel much better that they are at least not trying to do a round of cape hatterass.
Well, I hope you'll follow up, and let us know how they manage to get a 68' stick to Norfolk on the inside... :-)

They could get a bit of assist from the tide at the Core Creek Bridge, and a bit more at the bridge across to Roanoke Island near Manteo... But high water at Morehead City today was at 1330, so they'll wind up at Core Creek on a rising tide, very close to HW... But they'll need a really major blowout tide to make it thru Coinjock, and Pungo Ferry, and the fixed bridge adjacent to Atlantic Yacht Basin is likely to be the most problematic, I've ticked that one with a VHF antenna in a 42-footer...

Either that mast isn't really 68', or they're gonna configure a means of creating a pretty serious amount of heel, or they may wind up having to turn back... :-) So, keep us posted, OK?
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:19   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, I hope you'll follow up, and let us know how they manage to get a 68' stick to Norfolk on the inside... :-)

They could get a bit of assist from the tide at the Core Creek Bridge, and a bit more at the bridge across to Roanoke Island near Manteo... But high water at Morehead City today was at 1330, so they'll wind up at Core Creek on a rising tide, very close to HW... But they'll need a really major blowout tide to make it thru Coinjock, and Pungo Ferry, and the fixed bridge adjacent to Atlantic Yacht Basin is likely to be the most problematic, I've ticked that one with a VHF antenna in a 42-footer...

Either that mast isn't really 68', or they're gonna configure a means of creating a pretty serious amount of heel, or they may wind up having to turn back... :-) So, keep us posted, OK?
Will do Just to be clear the 68 feet was an assumption posted earlier of a specific Bavaria 46. Actual height was confirmed to be 64. I will update when I get the info. Thanks.
Old 14-03-2015, 10:10   #28

My Friends are on the outside making a run for Norfolk. Last updated position was about 20 miles off kitty hawk. Anyone who would be interested I am tracking their progress and sharing it on my facebook page. Stormsailor on facebook.
Old 15-03-2015, 10:04   #29

My friends rounded cape Henry yesterday and docked in safe harbor sometime after 8pm. Thanks again forum!

Tags
weather, wind