Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2022, 23:38   #1

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner
Is rain no longer potable?

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...arth?_amp=true

My fiancee just shared this article with me, the contents of which I find equally concerning and depressing. I haven't done a deep dive in this topic yet but is this something that is widely known in the cruising community?

Is it really dangerous, and is this something we can effectively treat onboard with a filtration system (and chemical sanitization if needed)? Losing access to rainwater catchment strategies would have a large effect on our approaches to resource management.
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 23:51   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Is rain no longer potable?

A quick google search shows that home freshwater reverse osmosis removes PFAs. They appear to need at least 60 psi to operate well. Shurflo makes a freshwater diaphragm pump that puts out 125 psi.

Activated carbon filters are supposed to work also.

https://www4.des.state.nh.us/nh-pfas...n/?page_id=171
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> “Based on the latest U.S. guidelines for PFOA in drinking water, rainwater everywhere would be judged unsafe to drink"
That's if you accept that the new US Guideline of 0.004 parts per trillion is really unsafe.
To put it into perspective:
That's 1 milligram in 250 000 tonnes of water.
= 1 mg in 100 olympic swimming pools
= 1 teaspoon in 4 million swimmng pools

How the heck do they even measure that?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:44   #4

This is paranoia and hype.

We have real problems to solve.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:04   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

At least some PFAS will be removed by an adequately sized carbon filter (slow enough flow rate relative to filter size). It won't remove all types of PFAS effectively though. RO systems will also remove most PFAS.

So even with this concern it's still possible to turn rainwater (and plenty of other questionable quality sources) into usable drinking water.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:07   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Most of the time you're already drinking tap water with PFAs. The amount in rainwater can be comparable to tap water, and even if it's higher, the fraction of the water you're drinking that is rainwater, is probably not enough to notice the difference.

Compare water you get from the tap versus rainwater. This study measured PFAs in tap water in various cities. It seems many cities already are well above the new guidelines. The amount in rainwater at the lower concentrations is comparable to the cities at the worse end. 50 - 850 ppt in rainwater.

From this EPA link -

The most sensitive non-cancer effect and the basis for the interim updated health advisories for PFOA and PFOS is suppression of vaccine response (decreased serum antibody concentrations) in children.

Perhaps as adults we can worry less. The concentration limit is based on lifetime exposure. My guess is that we as adults were exposed to less earlier in our lives and so can afford to accept a higher concentration in the latter parts of our lives, They don't mention suppression of vaccine response in adults, so perhaps another reason to accept a higher concentration.

I wasn't thinking about the waste water associated with reverse osmosis in my previous post, so a freshwater one is probably not viable on a boat, might as well put in a saltwater reverse osmosis system at that point.

So a carbon filter seems to be a better choice.
There's a link in the EPA doc to filters that remove PFAs, but not 100%.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:37   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...arth?_amp=true

My fiancée just shared this article with me, the contents of which I find equally concerning and depressing. I haven't done a deep dive in this topic yet but is this something that is widely known in the cruising community?

Is it really dangerous, and is this something we can effectively treat onboard with a filtration system (and chemical sanitization if needed)? Losing access to rainwater catchment strategies would have a large effect on our approaches to resource management.
Thank you so much to the OP Saltytar and especially thank you too to his/her fiancée for sharing the article here on Cruisers Forum where water is so vital to our lifestyle. The actual report produced by researchers from Stockholm University and ETH Zurich University' published last week in the journal "Environmental Science and Technology."can be found at this link. Sorry it's a subscription service so you can't read it yourselves.

Obviously the findings reported are so very alarming and they're deeply deeply disturbing. Reading the article too I found even more horrendous facts. The addition of PFOAs in to (should that be in to or into, I never know which) the atmosphere is actually being done, not by accident, but quite deliberately. It's all funded by Bill Gates and his left wing Democratic supporters and the poison is manufactured at his Chinese based 'medical research laboratory' in Wuhan; the very same lab that produced the China virus. It's at this lab where the PFQAs are manufactured in secret, and then US military planes release the toxins in the atmosphere.

Below is a picture of the resulting canisters containing the toxins aboard a USAF C130 Hercules. Amazing that this photo was able to be smuggled out by a ground crew at the secret military airbase in Tennant Creek, Australia, where the plane was being refueled.

By an incredible coincidence a couple of days ago I was informed by my cousin that the results described in the article are now under a world wide embargo (my cousin heard it from a guy in a bar in Willis Street as they shared the urinal).

This whole thing has somehow been orchestrated by the Russian Govt and its links to left wing media. Even Alex Jones at InfoWars has been silenced, and that will conclusively prove to even the most skeptical doubter that there's real substance being covered up here. Again we find numerous trips by Bill Gates (you can't hide your AIS evidence) sailing his super yacht Belinda to a secret port in southern Primorsky Krai on the East Coast of Russia. I've included a picture below of the little port of Slavyanka, Primorsky Krai (Port Bruce in English) and the Gates super yacht Melinda is clearly visible docked.

Now I am not one to ever share speculation, rumours, lies or bs; I just don't buy in to the conspiracy theory thing, Qanon, really, there's no such animal. But after doing my own research after hearing from my cousin about what the guy at the urinal in the bar in Willis Street (I believe it was the Neo Cafe) told him I am absolutely certain and 100% confident that this is totally factual. This is no theory, it is fact.

I don't doubt the voracity of Cruiser Forum members and their dedication to 'real' truth, and so I know you'll all do your own research too. There's little doubt in my mind that we'll see numerous posts following this one attesting to the same confidence in the truth of the breath taking claims made by SaltyTar's fiancée and the supporting evidence. that you will all uncover.

The guy at the urinal had a source in the military that the reason that they sail to Primorsky Krai is a ruse to push the responsibility on to the Russian Govt. But it's only a cover, once docked, they actually travel by donkey the 150 odd kilometres to North Korea's border where they meet with Kim un-Jong-un.

He reckons there's even some selfies of all 3 taken there; Gates, Kim and Trump. Again I've posted the evidence below. A secret photo in which the photographer caught Gates in the background. After much deep trolling through the dark web I found said photo. You just can't make stuff like this up.

We can only express our most sincere and deepest thanks to Saltytar's fiancée that this Cabal is being exposed for the blood suckers that they are (that's how they rid their own bodies of the very same toxins that they're exposing us all to, blood transfusions from children kept at a farm in Niue!) And this explains why anyone within the inner Cabal needs to be so wealthy. They require their own super yacht; how else would they be able to sail to Niue (there's no decent airport there) for their transfusions?

When you think about it, tie all the bows together, it makes perfect sense. What is amazing though is how they keep it so secret, but little by little its existence s seeping out. They just can't silence all the staff involved in the Super Yacht industry, the US military airforce (and ground crews), like they got away with at Nasa with the Moon Landings (yeah right!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kim Trump and Gates.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	262609   Click image for larger version

Name:	pfads aboard a USAF C130 Aug 2021.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	262610  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill Gates yacht Belinda.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	262611  
Old 10-08-2022, 14:42   #8

Boat: Cal 33-2

Wow!!!! Have you gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2022, 15:01   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I thought I would have a nice little read here and wow my head hurts. I lost some brain cells.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 15:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Wow!!!! Have you gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole!!!!!!!!!!!

A classic example of Poe's Law?
Old 10-08-2022, 15:39   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Thank you so much to the OP ...

Thanks for that, you've made my day, and it's not even 9:00am yet!
Old 10-08-2022, 16:25   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^

Yep, Stu, it gave me a huge chuckle... before breakfast, too!

OP: good one!

Jim
Old 10-08-2022, 17:02   #13

Boat: Herreshoff 36

That first pic doesn't even deserve to be called Photoshop, it's more like a Paint file from an eight year old.
Old 10-08-2022, 17:05   #14

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner

Thanks cal40john, I read over the links provided and it was good info. [emoji106] I had never heard of PFAs before yesterday so had some catch-up to do.

As for the health effects, I think the line "...non-cancer related..." is more concerning the lowering of vaccine efficacy, hopefully you are right about exposure in adulthood.

Thanks also to grant for piecing the puzzle together - I had no idea this was such a global conspiracy. It was hard to look away from the above slow motion trainwreck of sanity, but then, such is the truly dizzying modern age in which we live...

Activated carbon will probably be the best way to go, in general, we already filter all tap water this way at home. In our plastic pitcher. [emoji849]

For added safety almost all the water I drink is filtered a second time at high pressure through a 17 gram puck of finely ground coffee....
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 17:08   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Is rain no longer potable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Thank you so much to the OP Saltytar and especially thank you too to his/her fiancée for sharing the article here on Cruisers Forum where water is so vital to our lifestyle. The actual report produced by researchers from Stockholm University and ETH Zurich University' published last week in the journal "Environmental Science and Technology."can be found at this link. Sorry it's a subscription service so you can't read it yourselves.

Obviously the findings reported are so very alarming and they're deeply deeply disturbing. Reading the article too I found even more horrendous facts. The addition of PFOAs in to (should that be in to or into, I never know which) the atmosphere is actually being done, not by accident, but quite deliberately. It's all funded by Bill Gates and his left wing Democratic supporters and the poison is manufactured at his Chinese based 'medical research laboratory' in Wuhan; the very same lab that produced the China virus. It's at this lab where the PFQAs are manufactured in secret, and then US military planes release the toxins in the atmosphere.

Below is a picture of the resulting canisters containing the toxins aboard a USAF C130 Hercules. Amazing that this photo was able to be smuggled out by a ground crew at the secret military airbase in Tennant Creek, Australia, where the plane was being refueled.

By an incredible coincidence a couple of days ago I was informed by my cousin that the results described in the article are now under a world wide embargo (my cousin heard it from a guy in a bar in Willis Street as they shared the urinal).

This whole thing has somehow been orchestrated by the Russian Govt and its links to left wing media. Even Alex Jones at InfoWars has been silenced, and that will conclusively prove to even the most skeptical doubter that there's real substance being covered up here. Again we find numerous trips by Bill Gates (you can't hide your AIS evidence) sailing his super yacht Belinda to a secret port in southern Primorsky Krai on the East Coast of Russia. I've included a picture below of the little port of Slavyanka, Primorsky Krai (Port Bruce in English) and the Gates super yacht Melinda is clearly visible docked.

Now I am not one to ever share speculation, rumours, lies or bs; I just don't buy in to the conspiracy theory thing, Qanon, really, there's no such animal. But after doing my own research after hearing from my cousin about what the guy at the urinal in the bar in Willis Street (I believe it was the Neo Cafe) told him I am absolutely certain and 100% confident that this is totally factual. This is no theory, it is fact.

I don't doubt the voracity of Cruiser Forum members and their dedication to 'real' truth, and so I know you'll all do your own research too. There's little doubt in my mind that we'll see numerous posts following this one attesting to the same confidence in the truth of the breath taking claims made by SaltyTar's fiancée and the supporting evidence. that you will all uncover.

The guy at the urinal had a source in the military that the reason that they sail to Primorsky Krai is a ruse to push the responsibility on to the Russian Govt. But it's only a cover, once docked, they actually travel by donkey the 150 odd kilometres to North Korea's border where they meet with Kim un-Jong-un.

He reckons there's even some selfies of all 3 taken there; Gates, Kim and Trump. Again I've posted the evidence below. A secret photo in which the photographer caught Gates in the background. After much deep trolling through the dark web I found said photo. You just can't make stuff like this up.

We can only express our most sincere and deepest thanks to Saltytar's fiancée that this Cabal is being exposed for the blood suckers that they are (that's how they rid their own bodies of the very same toxins that they're exposing us all to, blood transfusions from children kept at a farm in Niue!) And this explains why anyone within the inner Cabal needs to be so wealthy. They require their own super yacht; how else would they be able to sail to Niue (there's no decent airport there) for their transfusions?

When you think about it, tie all the bows together, it makes perfect sense. What is amazing though is how they keep it so secret, but little by little its existence s seeping out. They just can't silence all the staff involved in the Super Yacht industry, the US military airforce (and ground crews), like they got away with at Nasa with the Moon Landings (yeah right!)

Fantastic troll piece , I’m still laughing you are genius at mis information sir