Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2024, 06:51   #46

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
Re: Pushing the budget

Boats are maint hogs. Spend less up front, you’ll need it later. Antares are overrated on their own marketing.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:16   #47

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

I have been frugal my whole life out of necessity but now I don’t need to be with the kids grown, but it is ingrained in your personality. I still buy older cars, boats or Rv not because I have to but because I want to and enjoy working on them or returning them to good condition. You deffinately have to be DIY tho. Nothing bothers me more than paying someone to do something if I can figure it out and do it myself. My college motto was learn by doing and I still love learning to fix things.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:20   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

Whatever you buy you have to budget 10% of the boat price for repairs and upgrades first year of ownership and this may go down to 5% annually thereafter if you are lucky. Boats are absolute money pitts. The more complex the boat the more fixing there is. It is endless task and it takes a lot of money and labor.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwdoc View Post
Whatever you buy you have to budget 10% of the boat price for repairs and upgrades first year of ownership and this may go down to 5% annually thereafter if you are lucky. Boats are absolute money pitts. The more complex the boat the more fixing there is. It is endless task and it takes a lot of money and labor.
This makes no sense. If I buy the cheaper, older, beat up version of the same hull that is more expensive and ready to sail, my maintenance costs will be LOWER??? I don’t think so.

This illogical “rule” has a life of its own on the internet, and seriously deserves to be put down.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:47   #50

It sounds like you’re in love with the boat and not the dream.
They are all fiberglass shells with multiple shapes branded with romantic names so you can sail away without your bank account.
Go cheap and far and rent your house out.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 07:51   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

The formula doesn't make sense only if you are buying cheap fixer upper. The formula assumes you are buying a boat in top condition no matter what age it is.
My boat is 9 years old. I had her since new. I already replaced entice navigation electronics, all wind instuments, autopilot, AIS, chart plotter. Radar and VHF still works from original eguippmwnt. Changing batteries every 3 years, wind instruments on the mast every 3 years. Generator breaks down every 6-8 months, saildrive replaced once, turbocharger once, heat exchangers replaced in both engine and generator, canvas repairs every other year, sails serviced every year. Some seacocks replaced, electric heads motors replaced once. Joker valves replaced every other year. Getting ready to replace windlass and put a new membrane on saildrive. It is endless.
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 08:17   #52

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Boats are maint hogs. Spend less up front, you’ll need it later. Antares are overrated on their own marketing.
You’re going to spend 2 or 3 times what you think you’re going to spend getting your boat ready to go (we are on fourth cat and we still underestimated the costs ).

You’re going to need that $150k to get whatever you buy ready to cruise. If you’ve got an upgrade budget in mind, multiply it by 3 and see if you can afford it.

I agree too that the Anatres are a little overrated. They look really pretty inside but to me feel a little cramped and old fashioned. I don’t think they’ve changed their design much in the last 25 years.

Case in point: we bought a 2006 Privilege 495 once. Beautiful, sex, a pretty quick and good sailer. We’d have a lot of fun buzzing by most other boats but realized that after a week of sailing, we‘d get tired and want to go home. It was because the interior spaces and cockpits were beautiful glossy wood and chrome but full of curves and tight and not comfortable for long term living (for us), etc.

We sold that boat after two years and endless hours and $ working on her.

Ended up getting a more modern designed catamaran (much more comfortable ) and are entering our third year of cruising as happy as can be.

Be careful…. I suspect that if you push your budget go for a pricier AND older boat, you’re headed for a lot of heartache (lost time and $).
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 08:24   #53

Boat: 2013 Nautitech 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post

editing to add, or an Astrea. Never been on one and don't know how much smaller it really is compared to these other boats.
I don’t have any experience with Astrea but I though I’d read a thread here about how they sailed poorly.
gsuescum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 08:29   #54

Boat: 2004 Hunter 44ac

Boats are emotional purchases. Make the decision with your heart instead of your spreadsheet.
Ltfdrebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 08:56   #55

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

We bought our 43' about 15 years ago as second owners. It was within our budget and fits our needs. Yearly maintenance is oil and filter changes along with buffing and waxing. Every two to four years the air filters get changed then coolants and transmission fluids are changed at 7-10 years. At 76 years old, it's probably my last boat as it is in great shape and will likely last another 10-15 years provided we keep the maintenance on schedule. Looking back, we could have spent much more but would we have been happier? It's unlikely.

The Leopards and Lagoons are very nice. At the point where the glitter of the Antares would diminish, your bank account will be much more healthy with the second or third choice.

But that's just my opinion.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 08:56   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post

Do we blow our budget and struggle to some degree? We will have the money once we sell our house so it is possible. But we won't have very much in the way of an emergency fund.
When things are pushed ... they often times push back.
Old 16-02-2024, 09:23   #57

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

IMNSHO.....
Estimate liquid capital to hand. Add realistic amounts from sale of items not useful aboard (4 wheelers, stair masters, rock collections, etc).
NOT to include expected amount from sale of house/land!

Divide the amount by 3.
1/3 for actual purchase
1/3 for immediate repairs/maint/upgrades
1/3 for the "kitty" and start of long-term budget

Your house can be rented out, giving you passive income. Yanno what they say about land, doncha? Keep it, 'cause they're not makin' it any more
deltaten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:39   #58

Boat: Westsail 32

A secure way to handle maintenance is to make a generous annual allowance and whatever you don't spend put away in an "escrow" maintenance account to be used in the future for maintenance ONLY. Sounds like you're not ready to buy yet -- still mulling it over and coming up with reasons (mostly excuses) for this decision and that.

Any boat out of warranty needs significant maintenance -- maybe set aside either 10% of new value annually regardless of age (1 year to 30 years) or an amount equal to the rate of depreciation. In 10 years you can ditch this one and buy new for cash. Just don't buy more boat than you can maintain and spend so much that it literally eats your lunch, and your dinner too. Hope you make the right decision.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 09:52   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post

Your house can be rented out, giving you passive income. Yanno what they say about land, doncha? Keep it, 'cause they're not makin' it any more

Sold my house in 94' for $475k ...
It would cost me $2.8 million to buy it back today
Old 16-02-2024, 10:14   #60

The biggest difference with the Antares is that it is galley down. Given that you are going to be anchored around 80% of the time, having a galley at saloon level provides a much better living experience. Also, I would take a look at Fountaine Pajot cats. They are pretty well built, seem to last a long time and sail well for a production type boat.

Remember on budget that it’s not just the cost of purchase, it’s the 10% value in annual running costs as well. A mor expensive boat mean high insurance premiums and maintenance costs…..
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget