Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2024, 15:04   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Lightbulb Re: Pushing the budget

Did you consider a boat from Tortola, they are about 40% less than buying here.

They are well maintained

Mooring or Sunsail

the 2018 40' that are $325.

All subject to survey, they will fix anything that is redlined
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 15:16   #17

Boat: shopping
Re: Pushing the budget

Yes. We decided against the Leopard 40. I spent a week on one. The 44 is one of our other choices, though. While we'd prefer not to have to refit an ex-charter boat, it's something we're considering.
chris.burcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 16:02   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Why do you think you have to refit a charter boat?

If so you're getting bad info.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 16:07   #19

Because I'm not you?
Old 12-02-2024, 16:13   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pushing the budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
Why do you think you have to refit a charter boat?

If so you're getting bad info.
Refit may be the wrong word..
Outfit/upgrade is more appropriate.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 16:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

This thread is about to go downhill I see.

Make this simple on yourself...it's your money...do as you want.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 20:51   #22

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

One of the most common boat mistakes I see is people buying boats bigger/more expensive than they can really afford. I'm sure you've read all this before.

Boats 10-15 years old will need virtually everything replaced if you want to minimize breakdowns. Think water heaters (2K), aircons (4-10K), stove/oven (2K), sails (10-50K), blocks (1-3K), running (1-3K) and standing rigging (10-15K), windlass, (2-3K) chain (1-2K), anchor (1-2K), hoses (1-3K), electronic upgrades ($15-25K), house batteries (3-15K), solar and frame (3-10K) and maybe even engines/saildrives (25-50K).

People knock saildrives but do you really want engines and engine maintenance under your bed?

Do not overextend on the purchase. The bigger the boat the bigger the upgrade expenses and running costs.
Old 12-02-2024, 22:15   #23

Boat: Morgan 382

Experiences are more important that physical stuff. The experience won't be any different on the more expensive boat. But you will have more money budgeted for more experiences.

All of the boats you named are quite large and luxurious for a couple, and will easily meet your needs and allow you to invite guests for parties any whatnot. I don't see any reason to get the more expensive boat if there is any chance that would limit your ability to travel and enjoy it.
Old 13-02-2024, 03:00   #24

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

As someone who is truly on a budget I always find it hard to relate to posts like this, so I am not much help.

But at this level of available cash there are so many boats to choose from. And you say you don't really know what you want because you lack experience.

So spend 250K on something that's "only" nice, fix whatever few things you might have to and go get that experience.

There is no perfect boat.

There is no reason to think you only have one shot at this.

There is no reason to believe you have to spend a half million dollars to enjoy this lifestyle.

Don't over-think it.

Old 13-02-2024, 04:27   #25

Thank y'all for that run of truly helpful posts.

I appreciate that the vehicle is a small part of the experience. It is my nature to be concerned for my family's comfort and potential for discomfort. To a fault, really.

I guess you've uncovered the real question and that is, is there a relationship between the boat and the quality of my wife and daughters' experience?

More than one of you has suggested there is not. I like to believe that is true.

I can choose the boat that will work for us and not have to spend nearly as much money. Convincing them will be the challenge.

Maybe that is always the challenge . . . . .

-Chris
Old 13-02-2024, 06:55   #26

Boat: Antares GT 44

Antares are very rare on the used market & price is high for a 44i
My choice would be a FP 44 Helia there's a nice one on yachtworld or Atlantic Cruising Yacht & SV Name is Salt Crush is in your price range.
I have sailed a FP ELBA 45 & FP Tanna 47 very nice for live aboard SV
Sailingwithgil
Sailingwithgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2024, 06:58   #27

I hear you, sailingwithgil and we do like the Helia. My only issue right now is most of what I see or that are available right now don't seem very live-aboardy if you know what I mean. It seems like Helia owners are more part-time sailors or at least the specific boats we have looked at. All that to say if it is for sale for $550k currently, how much will we need to spend just on things like larger battery banks, solar, water maker, etc.

But yeah, one of the things we have on our list is to get back on board a Helia just to feel it out. Thank you.

editing to add, or an Astrea. Never been on one and don't know how much smaller it really is compared to these other boats.

Because there seems to be interest in this thread despite it being in a very obscure section of CF I'll share the other boats on our list:

Leopard 44
Lagoon 42
Lagoon 420 (except worried about the weight)
Helia (need to revisit)
Astrea (Haven't been on)
Privilege 435 (haven't been on)

MAYBE
Leopard 40
Old 13-02-2024, 07:32   #28

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.burcher View Post

MAYBE
Leopard 40
This brings a question to mind. How many crew? Are you planning to sail as a couple, or have a crew with you?

When I was actively cruising and met a larger cat greater than about 40 feet, they almost always had crew because it was too large a boat for a couple to handle. The 40 foot cats sometimes had crew, but were more easy to handle with 2 if that is what the owners wanted.

You are looking at boats that are not only more expensive, but seem a bit on the large side for only 2 people. If you are taking 4-6 people, that is the size you need.
Old 13-02-2024, 08:31   #29

usually only two crew. I suspect my daughter will be able to help some as we learn.

I hear what you're saying but we plan to live aboard full time - ideally for a while. My wife things, and we all might be wrong, we will need more room than the L40 allows. I honestly don't know, but I worry about water line length, hobby horsing, etc. in a smaller boat.

Not knowing is hard and I realize at some point we are just going to have to make a choice.
Old 13-02-2024, 11:13   #30

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

We are in the similar situation but add 3 years to the exit strategy. Currently have a 41' mono and while we may start on it, will be looking for a cat in the 45' range. Will see what is available and wait if we have to. I feel that the 42' ad shorter cats lack the space we want for full time cruising. spent a week on a 52 lagoon that was huge, loved it but man it was big. 45 seems better. Our budget may be a little higher but would rather spend less if I can and have more of a safety net.

We are leaning towards FP, maybe Hellia or Saona but will see what the market looks like in three years and maybe Elba and Tanna will be in our price range.

There are some brokers that put out quarterly and monthly sales reports of cats, both listing and sold prices that will help give you some context. Otherwise hard to gauge if an asking price is realistic or not. Lately most seem to be 8-15% below asking with some exceptions.

Here is one

https://catamarancentral.com/reports/

I would also look for a broker to help you buy. It not cost you anything and will really help you out if you get a good one imho. A lot of times boats will come on the market and sell before it hits YachtWorld because brokers have clients looking and get the word out. Our local dealer says they get heads up on trade-ins nationwide prior to them becoming for sale on the market.

Tags
budget