Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2021, 16:28   #1

Yanmar Saildrive Burning Zincs!

Hi! And thanks in advance for anything help.

We have a 2015 Hunter with an SD 25 Yanmar sail drive. We are burning through Zincs in 6 weeks. Had a well respected marine electrician out and he said the system is well/properly grounded but that in his estimation the two ring zinc system is not enough to protect the sail drive.

I’ve called multiple Yanmar service centers and not one of them has reported an issue requiring additional anodes to be added.

No signs of damage to the drive yet - but I’m burning through zincs left and right which is annoying and costly. I’ve changed divers and used different brand zincs just in case.

Also, we confirmed we have a functioning galvanic isolator in place AND we replaced the shore power cable.

At my wits end. Only other item is to haul out and replace then internal pencil anode.

Any ideas?? I’m guessing the electrician could be wrong but I doubt it…and I’m not sure the prop material but perhaps that’s the issue? Don’t know what else to check or try….

Thanks!
RiffRaffSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, yanmar