Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2024, 22:26   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Wiring Heltec 10A Active Balancer

I have wired this up how I think is correct and the unit does not appear to work - No light on the unit and no amps on the wires. (set up is lithium 3.2V 4P4S)

I wired the black wire to the Main Negative and then the next Red Wire to that same Bank Positive where it connects to the next set of 3.2V Cells and so on until the 4th Red wire was on the main Positive out.

Ran A multi-meter on the connector plug for the balancer and get the following:

Red Wire 1: (next to Black Wire) 3.328V Red Wire 2: 6.64V Red Wire 3: 9.96V Red Wire 4: 13.28V. I have tried the switch in both positions on the balancer and No light on the unit comes on.

Have I wired this incorrectly? Or is the Unit broken?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 14:00   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Wiring Heltec 10A Active Balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I have wired this up how I think is correct and the unit does not appear to work - No light on the unit and no amps on the wires. (set up is lithium 3.2V 4P4S)

I wired the black wire to the Main Negative and then the next Red Wire to that same Bank Positive where it connects to the next set of 3.2V Cells and so on until the 4th Red wire was on the main Positive out.

Ran A multi-meter on the connector plug for the balancer and get the following:

Red Wire 1: (next to Black Wire) 3.328V Red Wire 2: 6.64V Red Wire 3: 9.96V Red Wire 4: 13.28V. I have tried the switch in both positions on the balancer and No light on the unit comes on.

Have I wired this incorrectly? Or is the Unit broken?
Looks like you wired it correctly, next to black is cell 1.
Sleep switch on the side of case is on?

Which 10A do you have, there are several versions (transformer or capacitor?). send a link or a photo please.
The 10A ones only do 5A too. So cheaper to right away get the 5A one.
Thats the 5A you wanna get. If want more balancing current you can parallel 2 or more.
https://heltec-bms.com/product/3-3v-...tive-balancer/
At 60mV you get 0.5A, 100mV gives you 1.2A, 200mV around 1.8A....you will never see more then 2A in reality.
You want more you need the Neey 4A balancer, this can balance with 4A independent from devation and per cell if needed.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/386538287836
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 15:41   #3
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Looks like you wired it correctly, next to black is cell 1.
Sleep switch on the side of case is on?

Which 10A do you have, there are several versions (transformer or capacitor?). send a link or a photo please.
The 10A ones only do 5A too. So cheaper to right away get the 5A one.
Thats the 5A you wanna get. If want more balancing current you can parallel 2 or more.
https://heltec-bms.com/product/3-3v-...tive-balancer/
At 60mV you get 0.5A, 100mV gives you 1.2A, 200mV around 1.8A....you will never see more then 2A in reality.
You want more you need the Neey 4A balancer, this can balance with 4A independent from devation and per cell if needed.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/386538287836

One i have is:

https://tinyurl.com/2cfr46hn

So should the Blue Light on the Heltec come on when In Manual mode? Batteries are quite balanced at the moment and I am wondering if that is why the light is not coming on?

With the Neey it states that when the battery voltage is lower than 25V that it needs an external 25V DC supply - I take it you would need a step-up transformer as well?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 17:06   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
One i have is:

https://tinyurl.com/2cfr46hn

So should the Blue Light on the Heltec come on when In Manual mode? Batteries are quite balanced at the moment and I am wondering if that is why the light is not coming on?

With the Neey it states that when the battery voltage is lower than 25V that it needs an external 25V DC supply - I take it you would need a step-up transformer as well?
It should come on when balancer is working, sleeping function off its always on. Sleeping function on it can be its not switching on if balancing is fine.

Yes the Neey needs a little step up converter from 12 to 24V, the cheapest is enough as more is ok.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lancer, wiring