Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 17:42   #31

Boat: Hunter 37C
Re: wires burned up with 4 100 watt panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding is the panels produce a higher voltage and the controller knocks it down to charging levels. The 10ga. wire would seem more than adequate from the panels of 100W each.

You are wrong. If wired in series then yes but not when wired in parallel
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 17:44   #32

wires burned up with 4 100 watt panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Bree View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the solar panels put out over 110v and I'm thinking that you are using a 12v fuse this maybe your problem

Fuses work by controlling amps not voltage.
His panels also do not put out 110V if they are 100 watt panels wired in parallel.
Old 28-01-2021, 17:54   #33

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
This is bad advice and could burn your boat down and get you killed. You should always fuse or better yet put a fast acting breaker designed for solar between your solar panels and their charge controller for no other reason than to protect your charge controller.
This is standard advice from both the solar panel company and the charge controller company.

In theory a panel shouldn’t produce more than its rating but my rated 660 watts of solar routinely puts out 740 watts on those perfect days. Lab ratings are at a certain set temperature and lower ambient temperatures can cause higher output
Where, oh where, does the overcurrent come from to trip the breaker or blow the fuse between the controller and the panels?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 18:02   #34

Boat: Seaward 26RK

Quote:
This is bad advice and could burn your boat down and get you killed. You should always fuse or better yet put a fast acting breaker designed for solar between your solar panels and their charge controller for no other reason than to protect your charge controller.
This is standard advice from both the solar panel company and the charge controller company.

In theory a panel shouldn’t produce more than its rating but my rated 660 watts of solar routinely puts out 740 watts on those perfect days. Lab ratings are at a certain set temperature and lower ambient temperatures can cause higher output
Dsanduril is 100% correct.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 18:05   #35

Forget the fuses and get a fast acting breaker designed for solar and rated for your system.
Your panels are rated at ~30 amp output at 12vdc. I’d get a 40 or 50 amp breaker (you always want more room on the breaker/fuse than the absolute minimal required)
Upsize your wire by one or two gauges. (Why play it so close?)

If you have mppt controller (if you don’t have one you should they are worth it) running panels in series will allow smaller gauge wire (if cost or hole size is an issue) and you’ll actually get more power long term.

If none of this makes sense hire someone.
Old 28-01-2021, 18:27   #36

wires burned up with 4 100 watt panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Where, oh where, does the overcurrent come from to trip the breaker or blow the fuse between the controller and the panels?

The sun... or short, whether in the panel or elsewhere.
Again a panels stated rating is at a controlled standard laboratory test parameter. If you have a lower panel surface temperature and the same amount of irradiance as at the lab you can and will a see higher panel output than what is its rating.
Standard Test Conditions are designed to allow a fair comparison of different panels to each other and represent an ideal scenario but not THE best possible. It is not uncommon to see 10% higher output than a panels rating if conditions are right.
Old 28-01-2021, 18:41   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Bree View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the solar panels put out over 110v and I'm thinking that you are using a 12v fuse this maybe your problem

You're wrong. On both counts.

Clearly you have little or no understaninfg of the subject. I would humbly request that you refrain from making further suggestions in similar threads until you learn a lot more about electrical systems.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 18:44   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
First Q; Why are you running only 100W panels? On a 42 ft sailboat you should be able to mount the very latest 300-400W 28V panels.
Maybe they are a few years old but still doing their job? A lot of us don't throw away things in working order just to have the latest and greatest
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 18:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You're wrong. On both counts.

Clearly you have little or no understaninfg of the subject. I would humbly request that you refrain from making further suggestions in similar threads until you learn a lot more about electrical systems.

There is a lot of that going on here. It really has me worried for people’s safety...
I guess this is why ABYC electricians can make the big bucks
Old 28-01-2021, 19:11   #40

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Maybe they are a few years old but still doing their job? A lot of us don't throw away things in working order just to have the latest and greatest

This^^^^^
I have a 43' boat. I have two 90W Solbian flexible panels on the dodger, and two more on the arch, for 360W. They go to individual Genasun MPPT controllers, but still rarely give 10A total on a good day (ie, about 30W each, or 1/3 of rated power). Between budget, other priorities, and a veto by the Aesthetic Review Boardfor 300W panels (she has veto power), upgrading to even 200W panels is at least a year out.

Sure, it's great to have a cutting edge boat. But few of us can have cutting edge everything (and if we did, it would be due for an upgrade next week).
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 19:18   #41

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
The sun... or short, whether in the panel or elsewhere.
Again a panels stated rating is at a controlled standard laboratory test parameter. If you have a lower panel surface temperature and the same amount of irradiance as at the lab you can and will a see higher panel output than what is its rating.
Standard Test Conditions are designed to allow a fair comparison of different panels to each other and represent an ideal scenario but not THE best possible. It is not uncommon to see 10% higher output than a panels rating if conditions are right.
Yes, and every system design should take these factors into account. When we design a system for the Colorado Rockies it uses a panel temperature of -10 to -20C and insolation as high as 1200W/m2. Either way, the Isc for the design conditions is current limited.

You say your panels regularly produce 740W out of a 660W panel. Did your fast acting breaker or fuse trip? If not, why? Why would you recommend a 40 or 50A breaker for a 30A system? Where is the 33-66% source of overcurrent? Temperature coefficients for panel are on the order of 0.04%/C so from STC to -25C you might get a 2% increase in current. Solar irradiation at the upper edge of the atmosphere maxs out at about 1320 W/m2, and at the surface (sea level) even with cloud banding and other effects 1200 is about the maximum observed. Most overcurrent devices have a 20% overhead for continuous current just to avoid nuisance trips.

So, once again, what is your device doing? If it serving as a disconnect (sometimes useful), well there are easier choices. Otherwise it is just contributing two connections that could corrode, fail, or otherwise cause problems.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 19:28   #42

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

Funny that the panel supplier that I purchased my panels from and the manufacturer of the controller both say that the only fuse required is between the controller and the battery, specifically within 7 inches of the battery.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 19:44   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Funny that the panel supplier that I purchased my panels from and the manufacturer of the controller both say that the only fuse required is between the controller and the battery, specifically within 7 inches of the battery.
Very curious, the manual that came with my controllers says circuit protection is required between the panels and controller ... and between batteries and controller
Old 28-01-2021, 20:09   #44

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Boatpoker's observation doesn't make any sense, and doesn't seem to be dictated by ABYC (the current limiting exception). However, as strange as it seems, his observation seems to be accurate.

Victron schematic, here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...PPT-100-30.pdf
shows a breaker between the panel and the MPPT, and at the connection of the MPPT to the bus.

Why? What fault is it protecting? It's easy to follow the manual, it's more helpful to understand.

I will say that after 10 minutes of trying, I could find no actual installation instructions, no specs on the size of that panel breaker, no guidance on where to install it, nothing. Hmm.....
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 20:51   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Boatpoker's observation doesn't make any sense, and doesn't seem to be dictated by ABYC (the current limiting exception). However, as strange as it seems, his observation seems to be accurate.

Victron schematic, here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...PPT-100-30.pdf
shows a breaker between the panel and the MPPT, and at the connection of the MPPT to the bus.

Why? What fault is it protecting? It's easy to follow the manual, it's more helpful to understand.

I will say that after 10 minutes of trying, I could find no actual installation instructions, no specs on the size of that panel breaker, no guidance on where to install it, nothing. Hmm.....
A battery is a power source and requires circuit protection
Shorepower is a power source and requires circuit protection
An inverter is a power source and requires circuit protection
A generator is a power source and requires circuit protection
A solar panel is a power source and ...

Tags
panels