Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-11-2022, 21:05   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Windlass motor arm scorched

Hi all

I had a problem with my windlass pulling very slowly, so long and short i pulled the motor off to check the brushes. There was significant debris inside (although about half the brush material was left) and 2 brushes were cracked. So following the oem maintenance advise I cleaned, epoxied the brushed back together and reassembled.

When I connected tje motor up to the batteries it still ran very slowly and got too hot to touch within about 30 seconds and a puff of the black smoke of doom came out of it.

So called in a professional who took it away and dissasembled. He messaged to say that the rotor arm is scorched1but it can be rerolled although its a very tricky job. Ive attached a photo, but does anyone have any experiemce of this issue, and how likely is a repair to be successful?

Edit! The indonesian sparky has explained that rerolling meams rewinding.. google translate failure!
The sparky also says the he will use a larger diameter wire as the original was too small. Does that seem like a good idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20221119-WA0000.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	267676  
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, wind, windlass