Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2019, 12:40   #31

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: What comes first, the charger or the batteries

There is a repair kit for your alternator: https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/7959509...ic-105327.html They may be able to tell you more.

The manufacturer website does not list it anymore, as you likely know, but they have a few tech support numbers. Try them and see if they have any info on it. It has got to be a retrofit item, I've never heard of that brand and it is not what is on our 1985 C30 with an M-25.

I can't imagine someone would replace a 55 amp alt for a 4. Maybe it is just 'code' for 55?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 04:29   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What comes first, the charger or the batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Is your charger rather large and heavy and has a 60 hz hum when operating?
If so then I’d suspicion it’s an old dinosaur like mine was, a monstrous heavy transformer that had only one voltage output, no three stage charging. It worked sort of, but nowhere near as good as a modern three stage charger...
Exactly.
The Charles 9000 Series is a (40A max) self-regulating ferroresonant transformer type charger, for flooded lead-acid (FLA) batteries only.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, charger