Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 13:42   #46

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Fantastic!
Lol... no wonder people were confused, I must of misread another thread somewhere to think that I needed a charger with panels.
But at least thats sorted now.
So, now you know my plans, what will I get on average from 200w of solar panels as far as aH/day goes?
Old 29-01-2009, 13:51   #47

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Fantastic!
Lol... no wonder people were confused, I must of misread another thread somewhere to think that I needed a charger with panels.
But at least thats sorted now.
So, now you know my plans, what will I get on average from 200w of solar panels as far as aH/day goes?
Please re-read my last post.....

The solar panels do not need a regulator to charge your batteries. In fact, the solar panels will be more effective without one. However, it is IMPORTANT to note, that if you don't have a regulator, you must keep an eye on your battery voltage so that you don't over charge them.

IMHO.....solar panel regulators are way over hyped. They don't work for free. It takes power for them to do their job. To think that they increase the solar panel's effectiveness is a bit naive IMO (let the arguments start)......

The bottom line is....you DO NOT have to have a regulator for solar panels to charge your batteries. They can be wired directly to the batteries and YOU can be the regulator. That labor is cheap......

200w = ~15A at peak sunlight. You may get 6 hours of peak sunlight (if you move your panels to face the Sun) a day. That's 90AH + any extra that you get while the Sun is rising and falling......maybe another 60AH. On a good sunny day, you may get 150AH. That will decrease as your battery voltage gets higher. Higher voltage builds up a resistance.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 13:57   #48

Lol... yea I checked your post thanks, but my panels come with a regulator so I may as well use it!
Maybe I should start a new thread on the topic... but all I really want to know is how many aH I can expect/day from say 200w panels, so I can plan my power consumption, and the panels I will need to get.
Old 29-01-2009, 13:59   #49

Or, if its easier this way, between 10n and 10s how many watts worth of panels would I need to get 120aH a day?
Old 29-01-2009, 14:00   #50

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
Lol... yea I checked your post thanks, but my panels come with a regulator so I may as well use it!
Maybe I should start a new thread on the topic... but all I really want to know is how many aH I can expect/day from say 200w panels, so I can plan my power consumption, and the panels I will need to get.
200w = ~15A at peak sunlight. You may get 6 hours of peak sunlight (if you move your panels to face the Sun) a day. That's 90AH + any extra that you get while the Sun is rising and falling......maybe another 60AH. On a good sunny day, you may get 150AH. That will decrease as your battery voltage gets higher. Higher voltage builds up a resistance.

200W may be just what you need because some days, you may not have any Sun, some days will be partial.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 14:16   #51

Great, cheers mate.
I found this power consumption calculator that may help people with similar questions :- Solar Calculator : Sun Electronics, When the power goes down, the Sun comes up!