Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2020, 20:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Webasto A/C Problem

Ok so the problem is not with the AC unit, it is with me-- some time ago i bought a 16k AC unit, brand new in the box from a marine store that was going out of business for the princely sum of $450. i was feeling really good until when i opened the box up today to get some measurements prior to install and discovered that it is a 230 volt model not the 115 volt that the box was marked.-- my bad- my greed got the better of me and i was so happy over my great deal that i didn't open the box in the store.
SO......is there any way to convert this unit Webasto FCF0016023G AC Unit, 16000 BTU to 115 volts? The wiring diagram is identical for the two voltages, but i am pretty sure the components are not or they wouldn't have two different models. Anybody got a clue as to what would have to be changed out? I was so then anybody going to make my day with a simple conversion- i can spend a few hundred and still be way ahead.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 05:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Webasto A/C Problem

I had the reverse problem with a webasto 16k. I wintered in London and wanted to run it for heat. The solution in part was a step down CONTINUOUS duty transformer. You would need a step up transformer. At least you don’t have to deal with a different Hz.

An alternative would be an inverter that could produce 220v. But to feed that continuously you would need a pretty substantial battery charger(s). I used two 60A Sterlings which did a fairly good job but I did not try to run the AC with mine

Whatever route you choose you will also probably need something like an Easy Stsrt to reduce the initial load. I recently installed one and it works well. Webasto actually sells It but for almost twice what you’ll spend it buy it direct. Use Webasto’s wiring diagram though found on their website Support page . It will make installation much easier.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 05:49   #3
Marine Service Provider

New compressor, new reversing valve coil, new breaker new correct size wire, seawater pump to match voltage.
expensive.
Coolerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 06:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can do it with a 115 to 230 transformer, it won’t change Hz but I bet that won’t matter.
I wouldn’t, but it’s about the only way I know of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 14:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

A64- you said you would not - any particular reason? it is a PITA but the AC unit was so cheap that I hate to get rid of it.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2020, 16:02   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Transformer is another point of failure, and big and heavy.
I had several when I was Stationed in Germany so I could use all our US 110 V appliances, good ones last, but aren’t necessarily cheap.

But in truth I guess why not? Often times 50 Hz appliances actually run a little cooler and “better” on 60 Hz so I don’t think that is an issue myself.

Just get a good transformer, I think a 3000W one ought to be enough, don’t forget surge, my 110V 16K Webasto has a huge start up surge.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

« 120 v ac | REC BMS »