Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 18:29   #1

Webasto or Mikuni heater ? recommends

I am going to purchase a diesel forced air heater.

I am looking at either;
Webasto Airtop 2000
7000 BTU @ 1.9 kw
Webasto Air Top 2000 Air Heater - Marine Heater, Boat Heater AT2000

or ;
Mikuni My16
5500 BTU @ 2.0 kw
Mikuni Heating: MY16 Marine Air Heater MI Kit - 12V

I have to be honest....This is not for a boat, it is actually for a VW bus.
I know these heaters will work for my application. But I alsoK KNOW you boaters are the best at this type of heat, so I am looking for your opinions. Why try to re-invent the wheel.

I am really leaning towards liking the WEBASTO, but I might be able to get a real good deal on the MIKUNI.

I am just wondering if you guys have any recomendations on either of these units good or bad.

Thanks guys
Shawn freezing in Canada haha
davis911s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 18:40   #2

Man, there are a lot cheaper ways of heating a van. I have an expedition type pop up tent camper on a big diesel 4x4 pickup that has some kind of radiant heater (forgot what its called) that has a kind of wicking panel surface onto which propane flows and burns without a flame. It will run you out of there and hasn't killed me yet. Seems darned efficient too, i.e. doesn't use much gas. Someone will remember the name for this kind of device. Oh, and it doesn't make any noise..so you can actually get some sleep without having a fan cycling on and off. Had just one installed as a backup heater on my previous fg 54 which I used to take from Whidbey to north of Juneau and back each year. Worked like a champ, tho it did add to the moisture in the cabin a bit.

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 18:55   #3

Thanks SEER.

I think you are referring to the Big Buddy type heaters.

The problem is I need one that I can have on while I drive too. Those propane type heaters have "tip over" safety feature. So when you hit a bump, they go out

My VW is aircooled and the heating system on this is poor at best (especialy for these cold Canadian winters) and since it is aircooled I can't tap into the rad system for heat

I am looking at spending around $500 for the set up (Like I said earlier I can get a smoking deal) If I go Webasto I wouldn't spend more than $750.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 11-12-2007, 19:02   #4

The heater is securely fastened to something in the vehicle. In my camper it is inset into a wall, and in the boat was attached to a bulkhead. It worked in the boat when it was leaping around in 20 meter seas..unlikely your van is going to get more action than that, unless you take it off a cliff, which is exactly what falling off the tops of some of those waves felt like. Perhaps my particular brand was something special but i don't think so. I'll try and look it up and see what it was.

seer

It was like this. far less money and lots of heat.
ProCom Blue Flame Vent-Free Liquid Propane Heater — 28,000 BTU, Model# ML300TBA | Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment
seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 20:06   #5

Boat: 44 footer
Hey David,

What year is your bus?
Have you seen TheSamba.com :: Volkswagen Classifieds, photos, shows, forums, and information

Bilge blowers, forced heat from the engine compartment... and making absolutely sure the heater boxes and tube are sealed should make the heat while driving less of an issue.

Other stuff, these things are drafty. Make sure the front fresh air vent is sealed and all the weatherstripping is in place, and in good shape.

(I'm restoring a '71 Bay Window at the moment...)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 21:05   #6

Zach

Yes I am a member on the samba also, GREAT site!

This one is a 73, I also have a 79 and previously had a 75. All Westfalias and the heat is bad. Maybe it is because I live in Canada and drive it all year

I have done lots to the factory heating. On this one (73) the heater boxes could be replaced but I want HOT lol. Plus the "furnace" would be good for camping in the summer with the kids.

Thanks
Shawn
Old 15-12-2007, 13:31   #7

I bought the Mikuni. I will post results on how much heat it throws once I get it instaled
Old 15-12-2007, 13:39   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
The heater is securely fastened to something in the vehicle. In my camper it is inset into a wall, and in the boat was attached to a bulkhead. It worked in the boat when it was leaping around in 20 meter seas..unlikely your van is going to get more action than that, unless you take it off a cliff, which is exactly what falling off the tops of some of those waves felt like. Perhaps my particular brand was something special but i don't think so. I'll try and look it up and see what it was.

seer

It was like this. far less money and lots of heat.
ProCom Blue Flame Vent-Free Liquid Propane Heater — 28,000 BTU, Model# ML300TBA | Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment
seer
Noting the specs on this unit:

"Consumes approximately 1.35 lbs. per hour"

How do you make it out of the harbor without having to go back for propane? I had looked at these as an option on my "land boat" (custom RV) and couldn't figure out how you'd carry a few days' worth of propane.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis911s View Post
I am going to purchase a diesel forced air heater.

I am looking at either;
Webasto Airtop 2000
7000 BTU @ 1.9 kw
Webasto Air Top 2000 Air Heater - Marine Heater, Boat Heater AT2000

or ;
Mikuni My16
5500 BTU @ 2.0 kw
Mikuni Heating: MY16 Marine Air Heater MI Kit - 12V

I have to be honest....This is not for a boat, it is actually for a VW bus.
I know these heaters will work for my application. But I alsoK KNOW you boaters are the best at this type of heat, so I am looking for your opinions. Why try to re-invent the wheel.

I am really leaning towards liking the WEBASTO, but I might be able to get a real good deal on the MIKUNI.

I am just wondering if you guys have any recomendations on either of these units good or bad.

Thanks guys
Shawn freezing in Canada haha

Hi Shawn,

For the propane idea in your little van I'd strongly say no to that idea... in fact I have a 16,000 btu camper propane heater that is just to big and bulkie for my full size Ford conversion van. I would also have to include a frame mounted propane tank and would restrict where I can go with it (no tunnels). Filling it up is a pain in the tail end.

I went with an Espar B1LC compact model because of the 35 gallon tank I have. The 7,500 btu heater maintains a very warm interior even at single digit temps... I run a dual battery setup and it powers my heater for hours and hours... I have a D1LC compact in my Ranger pickup and that will put you out because of the small space. The heater works very well and you can mount a small fuel tank to supply it diesel if it doesn't have a diesel tank. Any heater you put in will have a HOT surface, and if it does not vent out side the carbon monoxide can kill you in the small vehicle. With the small fuel heaters you make way for a 60mm heater vent and they get hot to, but you can direct it to the center of the vehicle.

A note about the small fuel heaters, it takes them a while to get the interior of a "frozen" vehicle warm and comfortable, the same for the heating system you already have in your vehicle. Most the time you are in and out before it really has a chance to get warm. On below zero (f) mornings it takes my van a good 30 minutes to get the interior comfortable and that is with the dash and rear axillary heaters going I use a remote control to turn on my heater and it warms it nice for me, the colder the more preheating time allowed.

Hope this helps.

Craig
skyking52m is offline   Reply With Quote