Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2018, 21:03   #91
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Victron 100/30 voltage measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Dolson View Post
Does this mean equipment (VHS, wind instruments, etc) are tolerant of voltages from 50% to equalization?
Yes for most at the low end, even 11V.

But equalization should usually be done with each unit separately and isolated.

Such over-voltage is more likely to shorten life of sensitive electronics, with too-low, worst case is usually just stops working until volts rise.

And of course LVD/OVD protection cutoffs can be used if needed, at the circuit or device level.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 00:23   #92

You actually can adjust the voltage calibration on my Outback MPPT.

Now I just need to find an accurate way of checking it.....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:18   #93

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I just looked at the manual for the Victron temp/voltage sensor and they seem not to cate which battery everything is attached to ,plus it will send the info to every controller that feeds the same bank . We are autonomous with our solar array and don’t really need ICE for charging (just for drinks ) so it is off to the solar geek store here in Toronto.
I have to agree with the reduction in solar charging while under way , it took me by surprise the first time I spotted it
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14   #94

I have exactly the same issue!! I have 6 controllers from victron and 2300 watt of solar that charges my lithium battery’ bank!

They go from bulk to float way to early and I noticed the controllers measures 0.3 volt higher than the batteries actuall are!

I raised the absorption voltage by 0.3 volt until I can buy a victron smart battery sensor that I think will solve the problem.

Victron is not very helpful...

//Daniel
sbaydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:41   #95
cruiser

You will still need to adjust Absorb Hold Time related settings until you verify that it gets the bank to 100% Full

as per batt mfg endAmps spec

at least a few times per week

in **your** setup's current usage patterns

and adjust that calibration as those patterns change.

Very few controllers actually "know" when the bank is Full directly, that usually requires coordination with a BM reading off a shunt directly at the bank.

Apparently Victron removed that ability via firmware update some time ago.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:44   #96

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Our approach has been to use large Panasonic 330 watt panels each with a dedicated Victron 100/30 Bluetooth controller connected on a Bluetooth network. Next step is to add a Victron BMV-712 with temperature sensor to replace our old Xantrex BMV; the hope being that the BMV-712 will provide on-battery voltage and allow the controllers to run feed the batteries at the programmed voltage rather than just output the programmed voltage.

Next step after that is to install the Victron 12V-3000 watt-120amp inverter charger with a Bluetooth dongle added to the Bluetooth network. We have Firefly G31 batteries and our Sterling 40amp charger can't feed enough current to charge as quickly as possible. We'll test whether all the Victron systems can coordinate charge voltage and current.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48   #97
cruiser

consider the Color Control GX for centralized monitoring and control
Old 10-12-2018, 11:29   #98

Boat: Beneteau 361

JC,
Consider getting your hands on two quality DVMs. The Victron widgit that reports voltage is not to be one of them. Each DVM that you use has to be connected simultaneously to the same points as the other (both DVM's both leads). I have a 300 W system used to maintain two house batteries in parallel each with their own Xantrex monitor. The monitors have been independently verified to read identical. With that being said, the only time the monitors read identical voltage is when both batteries are within about 3% of full charge and there is no load being drawn from either battery. Getting the last 5% charge into a bank is hard because most controllers will not allow bulk charging for the requisite time. When the controller changes over to the absorption phase there may still be a non trivial amount of current being absorbed by the battery and hence subtle voltage drops effecting your readings. On my boat the reefer screws up any measurements because it draws a non trivial amount of current. Take all your loads off line and then do your measurements.

PN
nilespf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57   #99

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
On a limited connection so I don't watch any YouTube videos.
When making a multiday passage shading from sails is an issue with solar and much more difficult to solve than when anchored.
The video showed that my panels are not permanently mounted so I can move them around as needed for best solar reception when I'm low on power even when sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:20   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt243 View Post
Unless you have access to a properly calibrated meter, you have no way of knowing which of the 2 measurements is correct - if either....

It’s not uncommon for consumer grade meters and electronic devices to be several tenths of a volt away from the correct value, I have seen many boat MFD’s and volt meters that were half a volt out.
I have three installed voltage monitors, one also on the MPPT charge controller and a hardware store volt meter. None agree. If you have questions, talk to the vendor.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:28   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It's best to try not to let your world close in on you so much that you are worrying about a .2 volt difference on your batteries, but unfortunately that's what we do when we get old.
Thomm you move your solar panels around ??

It's best to try not to let your world close in on you so much that you are worrying about the position of your solar panels, but unfortunately that's what we do when we get old.

noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:32   #102

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The video showed that my panels are not permanently mounted so I can move them around as needed for best solar reception when I'm low on power even when sailing
Not something I'm interested in doing two or four times a day while on passage. We have 4 panels, I can't image a scheme to repoint them.

I see a few cruising boats at anchor who have adjustable solar panels. In lrobably north of 50% of the time when I pass by the boats in my dinghy in the morning the panels are pointed perfectly for afternoon sun and vice versas for the afternoon.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 13:43   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thomm you move your solar panels around ??

It's best to try not to let your world close in on you so much that you are worrying about the position of your solar panels, but unfortunately that's what we do when we get old.

Funny!

Btw, I got an official warning over that remark even though it's very true. And not only when you get old, it's when you don't have enough stimulation for your brain...…. The thing is though we tech/engineer type always tend to over think things. We have to in order to do our jobs

I have a couple guys at work that are just about burnt out overthinking how to get one of our old systems up. It was built in the 1990's and has 100's of connections. It uses the old wire wrap back planes etc. We replaced the backplanes in one of the old Mainframe Encore Computers and now we are close but the system still locks up. These are the old Encore RSX Mainframes. The CPU Board is about 20" x 18" and the Memory Board the same. The system has three of them plus another old mainframe all working together

http://encorecomputer.com/htmls/rsx.htm

As far as the panels go, I actually only move them around when I'm low on power. (or experimenting) Sometimes in the am I'm running on 11.8 volts and sometimes less after running my fan all night. I have a 120 VAC fan I have hooked to my 400 watt ac inverter which is a very inefficient setup

I need to get a 12 volt fan
Old 10-12-2018, 13:49   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Not something I'm interested in doing two or four times a day while on passage. We have 4 panels, I can't image a scheme to repoint them.

I see a few cruising boats at anchor who have adjustable solar panels. In lrobably north of 50% of the time when I pass by the boats in my dinghy in the morning the panels are pointed perfectly for afternoon sun and vice versas for the afternoon.
Understood, but my sails/cruises are much shorter and playing with the panels gives me something to do. Plus sometimes I need the power like now since I only have the two 12 volt batteries in parallel

I'm still messing around with my Victron Controller also and my PWM controllers. My panels are different also with my old 65 watt, two 20 watt panels, and the Renogy 50 watt panel that I bought this past Summer with the MC4 connectors
Old 10-12-2018, 14:01   #105

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I just bought the victon temp / voltage sensor today. The instructions state that it can be attached to any battery in the bank , what does the group think . Also if the 712 has temp sensing does it relay that to the mppts .

Tags
men