Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 10:05   #16

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Hello,

Got a rely today from Frank saying the owner/CEO was on holiday, and will get back to me next week.

Although I am eager to learn more as to fulfill my option for a project I have. My reply to then stating my urgency was answered rapidly, they will get me some info before the boss returned !!!

Hope to pass on some information to you within the next 12 hours... Fingers crossed !!!

Has anyone else had any luck finding feedback or input from a satisfied customer yet !!!

I know I want to buy a pair of these VAWT, but I certainly can't be the first to buy !!!

Let us know what you have heard !!!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 23:14   #17

Re: Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

Hello,

I got a detailed e-mail from the salesman from Kronos...

The rad required would be 10" diameter from 3/8" aluminum with a 6" diameter hole pattern, 8 holes and a 1.5" cable way in the center.

HEIGHT: The overall height requirement is variable from 54" to 36".
DIAMETER: A minimum diameter of 20" in the short unit, and 36" or 28" on the tall unit.

The larger head size you can accommodate, the more wind you can capture (think sail area) and the more output you'll have.

At approximately 35 knots of wind (lower speeds for smaller units), the physics of the head causes it to appear as a solid post to the wind. That is the maximum amount of wind that it will accept. Any wind speed higher than that would simply go around it as it would the solid mast.

The Generator is DC output. The wiring is a 3 Conductor, 8 AWG shielded liquid proof conduit (20 feet of wire come with the kit).
Red is DC positive,
Black is common,
Green is ground.

Other boat owners who have purchased the Mast-R use the Morningstar TS-60 charge controller. It works for 12/24/48 VDC.

Hope to receive more information when the president (owner) of the company returns !

Hope that was helpful,

Alan
Old 19-07-2012, 23:32   #18

Hello Again,

Although I have no images from the Kronos MAST-R VAWT, I did research the controller they said others have used. The MorningStar (TriStar) looks like a nice unit for any set of wind turbines that would have the passibility of making 1.2Kw of power.

I like how simple it is to connect a "Dump Load" to a DC water heater element or other DC Dump Load... I attached the diagram from the MorningStar (TriStar) manual. The 5 year warranty is nice too !

Alan

Old 20-07-2012, 08:32   #19

Hello,

Frank from Kronos Energy Solutions sent me a few pictures of the unit they have on display outside their office... Have a look !

The mounting brackets are 6" wide and have 6 holes for bolts/screws on the top bracket, and the same on the bottom bracket.

That is all I know as of today !

Hope it is helpful !

Alan

Old 20-07-2012, 09:22   #20

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

In a video on the Kronos website they say a permanent magnet generator.

To me that means a brushed generator as opposed to a brush-less alternator; That would also explain why they have DC output instead of AC.

Could you verify that and also, are they really 50Lbs. each ?

Also the power output curve on the website seems unbelievable; 25W at 5Knots ! 150W at 15Knots ! I wonder what size unit the graph is for ? Is the data extrapolated from the little test unit displayed ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 09:34   #21

Hello

I never thought to ask if they are brushless !!! Good call.. I will ask

As for the curve on the website. It says at the top of the curve (2 units) so that is the power curve for the 2 combined !

Alan
Old 20-07-2012, 09:43   #22

Hello,

That was a fast reply.

The units are DC Brushless !!!!

Alan
Old 20-07-2012, 09:47   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV
In a video on the Kronos website they say a permanent magnet generator.

To me that means a brushed generator as opposed to a brush-less alternator; That would also explain why they have DC output instead of AC.
?

Internally rectified like the SWWP air series
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:21   #24

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

OK, the graph is for 2 units, that seems more believable.

Would still like to know what size unit(s) are represented in that graph ?

Glad to hear they are brush-less.

I guess they really are 50Lbs. ? Is that each (100Lbs for 2) ?

I would like to buy one of these, but no way would I be the Guinea pig. Do they have any installs ?

I wonder if they could make the top mount into a RADAR platform so I could mount a single unit on the front of my mizzen with the RADAR on top.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 10:34   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

This Kronos turbine looks a lot like a Cross-flow, Banki-Michell or Ossberger turbine used in low-medium head dams.
Cross-flow turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It occurs to me that all of those blade, in that configuration, set at 12' or higher probably make a wonderful radar reflector.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 11:05   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Odd how there is not a picture or Youtube of one on a boat working. I question how you would mount 2 opposing on a mast and be able to tack the jib bu it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 11:56   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...17448704774839
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 17:48   #28

Hello,

When I asked about what their customers have told them how the units work on different vessels in different area's. Their email replies say that none of their customers have provided them with any feedback to the performance of the units at this time .

I would think that the power curve on the website is based on the largest units they make. Attaching a set on the back of a pick-up truck bed and traveling at different speeds.

Quite curious to why there is no other YouTube video's of the units actually working as well !!!!

Alan
Old 20-07-2012, 20:44   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ya...there is somethin fishy about it. Mr. Bob Bitchin from Lats & Atts saying he was ordering one. Yet no further input from him. I think it's a sit back and wait.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 11:01   #30

I agree

I had been trying to follow up on if the "lost soul" had installed the MAST-r turbines yet... Nothing as of yet.

I am getting a feeling that there are none in operation at this time... It is too easy these days to upload a video to YouTube... Or at least find evidence in one or 2 forums on the web !!!

The price also seems high at $2,800 for a pair if the put out 600v each. I have seen the SunForce in action and the company provided all the manuals and full spec's

Alan