Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 14:51   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
two prong Bosche Saber saw no work on boat's inverter, why???

Installed new engine controls which required sawing a rectangular hole in the cockpit side. Plugged the Bosche saber saw two prong cord into the inverter but it wouldn't work. Not a hint of it motivating but a slight increase of rf noise in the am radio. Had to use an three prong oscillating saw to do the job.

Why wouldn't the Bosche saw work?? All other tools have worked and continue to work fine. Its a Xantrex 1800 watt modified sine wave, btw.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:01   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: two prong Bosche Saber saw no work on boat's inverter, why???

I think you may have answered it when you said you have a modified square wave inverter. Try plugging in to a true sine wave voltage source and see if it works. Some things just don't work as well or not at all with modified square waves. Some things in fact can be destroyed by modified square waves...I have destroyed a couple power adapters with one.

You may also not be getting the correct RMS voltage that is required.

I say modified square wave because that is what it is. You would never want to modify a sine wave only to wreck a perfectly good sine wave.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:11   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I think you may have answered it when you said you have a modified square wave inverter. Try plugging in to a true sine wave voltage source and see if it works. Some things just don't work as well or not at all with modified square waves. Some things in fact can be destroyed by modified square waves...I have destroyed a couple power adapters with one.

I say modified square wave because that is what it is. You would never want to modify a sine wave only to wreck a perfectly good sine wave.
Ditto!
A lot of the modern power tools have electronic drivers it the works, which requires a true sine wave source. Especially if is a variable speed system, works on multiple voltages or has it's own internal charger.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Boy that was a Freudian slip. It's a modified SINE wave inverter. The saber saw is a variable speed. Guess it's the electronics in the saw. Works on wall power but blindsided me on the inverter problem. I'll have to test all my corded tools to see what works. Anything else I need to worry about with this inverter?? Really need it as there is no electricity at the slip.

Dei, how's the forepeak coming along??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:35   #5

Boat: PETERSON 44
One weird thing i found using an inverter some tools would not show a load to start the inverter. Used a vacuum to bump the inverter and the tool then worked?
I think i was trying to use a laminate trimmer at the time. Someone who knows how these things work may know why.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:36   #6

Thread drift for a moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Del, how's the forepeak coming along??
I need to update the blog but it's getting close to finish. And I just installed a 2000 watt inverter (True sine) with another 1400A worth of batteries.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:40   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
One weird thing i found using an inverter some tools would not show a load to start the inverter. Used a vacuum to bump the inverter and the tool then worked?
I think i was trying to use a laminate trimmer at the time. Someone who knows how these things work may know why.
It probably acted a phase inverter like the one I have at home to run my 240V 3-phase mill off of a single phase system. By adding another motor it converted it to a true sine thru feed back. But just guessing!

Tags
inverter