Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2023, 10:58   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Tartan 3800 solar installation

My boat presently has no solar panels. I offer here the thought process, supplies, etc, I am using to add them.

My goal is to add a reasonable amount of solar power without adding undue windage or excessive cost. In this light I decided to place panels over the bimini. They will be shaded by the split backstay, and in some situations by the sail.

The split backstay divides the forward 2/3 of the bimini from the aft 1/3. I determined that a Solarland SLP080S-12M panel will fit on the aft 1/3, and a SLP200S-24M panel will fit on the forward 2/3, with a gap between for the backstay.

Mounting strategy is a critical part of planning these installations. I will be using Gemini fork mounts screwed through the bimini fabric into the bows as an anchor point. The fork mounts are in the center in this photo of the hardware:

The forks will support straight fore-and-aft 1" stainless steel tubing with standard end caps. The panels will attach with U-bolts. I will drill the panel frames for the u-bolts, and they will not be exactly in the manufacturer's suggested mounting locations. This will void the warranty, but I don't care.

The U-bolts are stainless and I'll use tef-gel where they contact the aluminum frames of the panels.

Each panel will have its own controller to maximize output. I'll run 14/5 mast cable from the bimini down through the gunwales with one of the conductors unused, to keep the installation neat and tidy. I'm still picking out a suitable waterproof connector from Digikey.

I anticipate replacing the screws in the fork mounts with toggles for ease of removal since we will stow the panels while the boat is laid up for the winter.

I expect to add a brace to the bimini, from the top of the gunwale, to strengthen it for the additional weight and wind load.

The panels should be here Tuesday. I'm getting everything kitted up for installation once the snow melts in the spring.

I expect to get a little over 1 kwh a day from these, on average, during the sailing season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220922_163702372.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	270050  
Old 19-01-2023, 12:09   #2

Re: Tartan 3800 solar installation

I've settled on these IP68 waterproof connectors from Amphenol LTW for the cable from the bimini to below decks:

DC-05BFFB-QL8APP
DC-05BMMB-QL8APP

These are sized to accept 14/5 mast cable and will handle up to 20 amps at 300 volts. Digi-key has them in stock.

https://www.digikey.com/en/htmldatas...fb-ql8app.html

The panels are here. One has leads with MC4 connectors and the other has a large built-in junction box with screw terminals. I'm going to run the 14/5 mast cable from belowdecks, through the Amphenol connectors, to the junction box. Then I'll add a pair of MC4 whips to the junction box and use those to connect to the other panel. Each panel will have an isolated +/- pair going below decks, which will use 4 conductors of the 14/5 mast cable. The other conductor will be a ground.

This will allow the panels to be disconnected from the boat and from each other without tools, in bad weather or when lowering the bimini to make room for the winter cover.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:26   #3

Work proceeds apace. Drilling holes in stainless steel tubing and aluminum rail, with sufficient precision, takes time.

After being unhappy with the security of sheet metal screws I have decided to through bolt everything. With that change I'm happy with the security of attachment. I have a second, smaller panel that will sit behind the backstays once work is complete. A major goal for me was to have the panels fit tight enough to the bimini that they blend in visually, and I'm happy with how that is working out. I believe that there will be minimal additional windage, compared to the bimini by itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230507_231230379.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	275247   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230506_215710068.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	275248  

Old 11-05-2023, 13:00   #4

I have 2- 175 watt flex panels on my 1994 3800 #3 with a Victron Smartsolar charge controller MPPT. If interested I can get some photos tomorrow?
scuba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2023, 07:23   #5

Boat: Tartan 31

Hi Jammer,

I have a smaller Tartan, a 1991 Tartan 31, and I would like to install a solar bimini, but one that I can easily remove and stow in the lazarette, so it would also have to fold into a fairly small package. It would be up when I'm at anchor or when sailing in light winds, say on a broad reach, but I want to be able to quickly take it down and stow it if I'm going to sail upwind.

I'm picturing some kind of lightweight carbon fiber structure that clamps onto the stern pulpit and maybe the aftmost stanchion base, depending on the size. The clamps would have quick-release mechanisms so I can set it up and take it down without using tools. The idea is that it can be lightweight as it won't be permanent.

Right now I have a pair of Jackery SolarSaga 100w foldable panels, with a pair of portable Jackery batteries, an Explorer 500 and an Explorer 1500. For this season, I plan to just use those, setting the panels out in the cockpit or wherever they can catch the best angle on the sun. The batteries have built-in inverters to provide 120v, but they also have USB plugs for my myriad digital devices.

I'd also like to wire the boat to have built-in USB plugs (both USB-A and USB-C), but that's for another thread.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Michigan_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, solar