Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2024, 17:40   #1

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Source for boat wiring diagrams?

Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a good source for wiring schematics/diagrams for different sailboat setups?

I'm looking to compare my boat's system (old and added onto over the years by various owners) to an ideal wiring setup for a system like mine. I'm trying to chase down a few gremlins.

My boat's current system is:

1 engine with 1 x 75amp alternator (I just removed the old 1 engine, 2 alternator setup)
2 house banks (2 x 6v GC2's each - banks 1 and 3)
1 group 27 FLA start battery (bank 2)
1 group 27 FLA windlass battery (bank 4)
2 battery switches (to switch/combine banks 1-4)
Battery isolator with 1 ALT connection and 3 battery connections
Shore power and xantrex shore power charger
2x175 watt solar panels on a Victron charge controller
3000watt inverter

Any info/help is much appreciated!
Old 07-05-2024, 19:54   #2

Re: Source for boat wiring diagrams?

I don't know of any single source having diagrams of several different boats. So you'll have to search for diagrams for each specific boat you're interested in. Here's one for your boat.

From once working as a marine electrician, every boat's wiring is different. The older it is, the more people like messing with- sorry I mean improving - their boat electrical. Also, the technology improves and practices change (eg moving from "Bank1/Bank2" to "House/Starter" battery arrangements), so copying an older factory wiring plan isn't likely the best plan.

My advice here is:
  1. If you have a specific problem or two, concentrate on finding and fixing those problems. Maybe that's all you need.
  2. Repair or clean up the existing wiring. Trace things, make notes and diagrams
  3. If you have a general dissatisfaction with the boat electrical, get the latest edition of a good boat electrical book (one I like) and on paper try to draft up what you think would be ideal, making the best use of what you have.
If you find this daunting, try to find a local mentor.
Old 07-05-2024, 20:10   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Source for boat wiring diagrams?

The first question I would ask you;
With two house banks plus a start batt plus a windlass batt, what do you gain from removing an alternator, especially if the one remaining is only 75 amps?
You've probably reduced total charging ability from the engine, and you've now put all your eggs in one basket.

Tags
boat, wiring