Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 07:56   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Solar, off grid and heat problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
20V is fine for PWM, but I've seen 12V nominal go higher.

MPPT needs much higher, usually 40+V, and better to get that with one panel rather than series'ing
There are numerous MPPT controllers that are designed to work with "12V" panels. I just installed three of these on my boat: https://genasun.com/all-products/sol...ge-controller/

The typical "12V" panel has 36 cells, puts out an open-circuit (unloaded) voltage (VOC) of 21-24V. The higher voltage panels usually have 60 or 72 cells and proportionally higher VOC. Some small "trickle charge" panels have fewer than 36 cells in order to avoid overcharging the batteries.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using multiple panels, series or parallel connections, higher voltage panels, MPPT vs PWM controllers, etc. I think in the OP's case the simplest solution will be just fine. If more power were necessary then it would make sense to explore the options.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:28   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is the one that scares me and they claim it is acceptable for marine use Propex HeatSource HS2000 6,500 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater 12 Volt
I guess to each his own, but I don't much get using gas to heat a boat. What is the advantage over diesel fuel, which is perfectly safe, which is cheaper, and which you already store on board in large quantities?

I couldn't store enough gas in my gas locker to heat my boat for more than a night or two, I think, in really cold weather. I'm not talking about paying for or humping it to the boat, or the safety issues.

If for some unknown reason I really did want to heat with gas, I would go with something like the Dickinson one -- that's high quality, and simple. Much easier to trust something like that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:37   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I guess to each his own, but I don't much get using gas to heat a boat. What is the advantage over diesel fuel, which is perfectly safe, which is cheaper, and which you already store on board in large quantities?

I couldn't store enough gas in my gas locker to heat my boat for more than a night or two, I think, in really cold weather. I'm not talking about paying for or humping it to the boat, or the safety issues.

If for some unknown reason I really did want to heat with gas, I would go with something like the Dickinson one -- that's high quality, and simple. Much easier to trust something like that.
I agree with you 100% I will be installing a diesel/ kerosene heater myself .
I don't think propane would be a valid option for full time live aboard however I do have several customers that have propane bulkhead type heaters for the spring and fall weekend sailing seasons. They cost about half that of a comparable diesel fired unit.
Old 19-09-2017, 08:50   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Here is the one that scares me and they claim it is acceptable for marine use Propex HeatSource HS2000 6,500 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater 12 Volt
Ouch, that's expensive, you can buy a diesel blown air heater for less in the UK when normally everything is much cheaper in the US.

https://www.butlertechnik.com/vehicl...4111385c-p2437

I this a better price?

https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop...own-air-heater
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 08:57   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ouch, that's expensive, you can buy a diesel blown air heater for less in the UK when normally everything is much cheaper in the US.

Anything where safety is a question is MUCH more expensive in the U.S. due to our cockamamie tort system and resultant products liability insurance cost! Just try to buy a life raft in the U.S.! Or even just a ladder!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 09:15   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I this a better price?

https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop...own-air-heater
OK now the webasto 2000 is 746 pounds which is just over 1000 USD . I read the page you linked to and that is not for the marine install safe unit nor the marine install parts ( which ads considerable cost. And I can get a bare bones 2000 off eBay for 250 USD
Then propane unit same thing but 500 pounds or 675 USD plus the marine install parts. Or 699 USD including the parts here so prices are actually not that different.
Old 19-09-2017, 10:19   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK now the webasto 2000 is 746 pounds which is just over 1000 USD . I read the page you linked to and that is not for the marine install safe unit nor the marine install parts ( which ads considerable cost. And I can get a bare bones 2000 off eBay for 250 USD
Then propane unit same thing but 500 pounds or 675 USD plus the marine install parts. Or 699 USD including the parts here so prices are actually not that different.
I did try to match your link which does say you need to add extras. What is a marine install safe unit?

Pete
Old 19-09-2017, 11:18   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I did try to match your link which does say you need to add extras. What is a marine install safe unit?

Pete
Here is a link to the heater and marine install kit. Which includes combustion air intake line from outside, and the exhaust hose, and thru hull fittings for both.
Webasto Air Top 2000-BASIC Diesel Marine Heater with Installation Kit
This is the basic kit specific Installs may require additional supplies
Here is a link to just the exhaust thru hull fitting for the. 2000 unit.
As an example of associated costs if not purchased as part of a kit.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/W002-170-30.aspx
Old 19-09-2017, 14:25   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow, I bought the extra bits for my ST2000 on ebay mainly new from Turkey. The exhaust was a copy but fit for purpose, think it was £30. However, it takes time which professionals don't have or have to invoice for, so there is a difference. Me I can sit and wait all winter for that one part to come along.

Notice its a 3 bolt were as the original is 4 bolt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/exhaust-ou...AAAOxyCTtTc9Hz

Pete
Old 19-09-2017, 14:31   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Wow, I bought the extra bits for my ST2000 on ebay mainly new from Turkey. The exhaust was a copy but fit for purpose, think it was £30. However, it takes time which professionals don't have or have to invoice for, so there is a difference. Me I can sit and wait all winter for that one part to come along.

Notice its a 3 bolt were as the original is 4 bolt.

exhaust outlet 22mm for webasto heaters stainless steel polished eberspacher d2 | eBay

Pete
Pete I'm sure I could shop and find all the bits cheaper when doing an install for a customer .
I just grabbed the web page of the local factory rep store in Seattle. ( I can drive to the store and pickup the parts) that's all . I'm sure the parts would be cheaper from defender as well .
Old 19-09-2017, 15:18   #86

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Your boat will generally take on the temperature of the water rather than the air, so if you close off air circulation from outside then it won’t take very much more heat than a large incandescent lightbulb to keep the boat above freezing. Beat bet is to winterize your water system and your engine if you can’t be plugged into shore power.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:51   #87

Quote:
OK the controller I will give you ( and I have on hand ) is a cmtd 10 12/24 volt and 10 amp pwm controller
Here is the PDF spec sheet and owners manual for the cmtd series controllers
http://felis-net.com/manuals/F0550-B.pdf

Now I am in Seattle Washington area. Zip 98443
I'll take a look. Shipping can't be that expensive but the border is always a PIA. Free is always better than cheap! Thanks man!
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 18:56   #88

Yours is Chinese too. Mine is shipped from Montreal at 30A, yours is shipped from US at 20A. What is the difference, might I ask? Do you have experience with the particular controller I am looking at? Free is better than cheap, but customs can be a nightmare, I'll probably have to pay excise duties to get it across the border.

Why is the one you have for free better than the one I can get for $22CAD? I have to admit I know nothing about solar charge controllers, so pardon my ignorance.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 19:03   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
Yours is Chinese too. Mine is shipped from Montreal at 30A, yours is shipped from US at 20A. What is the difference, might I ask? Do you have experience with the particular controller I am looking at? Free is better than cheap, but customs can be a nightmare, I'll probably have to pay excise duties to get it across the border.

Why is the one you have for free better than the one I can get for $22CAD? I have to admit I know nothing about solar charge controllers, so pardon my ignorance.
Customs for what ? Just sending a small package to a friend who lives in Canada that's all. Where do you live ( what city)
Old 19-09-2017, 19:04   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

They are not worth more than I'm selling this one to you for that's my experience.

Tags
solar