Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2023, 12:28   #1

Small inverter for short term usage

Hi there. I have a Leopard catamaran, that I'm planning to add solar/lithium and other electrical upgrades to in about a year. For now, it has a standard charter setup without no inverter.

In the meantime, I'd like to purchase and use Starlink. But without an inverter, I'll currently only be able to use it with the genset or while on shore power.

I have seen in some threads people recommending a simple portable inverter that can be purchased on Amazon for less than $100.

I've never used one of these kind of small inverters onboard, so I'm not clear how people typically connect them to their power systems, ie with clips directly to the battery, through the cigarette lighter, wired to the DC panel, or something else?

(My understanding is that the Starlink uses about 40-60 watts of power.)

Thanks!
surfsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:38   #2

Re: Small inverter for short term usage

I'm using a simple Xantrex 2000W. It's hard wired directly to the house battery bank. I have an inline fuse on the positive connection. I just plug my TV and an Apple TV device into the front mounted 115 VAC outlets.

Mine is installed in a cabinet just below where the TV is located.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:42   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We have a 150w "coke can" inverter used to charge a laptop or small items rather than power up the bigger inverters.

Something like this is always useful to have on board.

https://sterling-power.com/collectio...iant=956554695

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 12:52   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I am using a car type pure sine wave 500W inverter for my Starlink. It also powers my TV and sound bar when I use.

Been a year and no problems. You do need to install in with power wiring etc and not just plug in into you acc outlet.

When it is powering my starlink + TV + soudbar it uses less power than just turning on my main ship inverter.
Old 22-11-2023, 14:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I am using a car type pure sine wave 500W inverter for my Starlink. It also powers my TV and sound bar when I use.

Been a year and no problems. You do need to install in with power wiring etc and not just plug in into you acc outlet.

When it is powering my starlink + TV + soudbar it uses less power than just turning on my main ship inverter.
Thanks, this is what I am looking for! Any chance you can share the model you have? Also, a rough idea of how the install works?
Old 22-11-2023, 15:05   #6
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislacy View Post

Thanks, this is what I am looking for! Any chance you can share the model you have? Also, a rough idea of how the install works?
Heck I don't remember, there were lots of 4+ star reviewed one on Amazon. I have mine hard wires to my main DV panel with 10AWG wires and a 30 amp breaker.

I do suggest giving one that has a given spike rating.

I have tried 2 and they both worked. I thought 1 wasn't, but was because I hadn't tighten down the breaker terminal screw

I looked and have this one currently
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 22-11-2023, 16:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Heck I don't remember, there were lots of 4+ star reviewed one on Amazon. I have mine hard wires to my main DV panel with 10AWG wires and a 30 amp breaker.

I do suggest giving one that has a given spike rating.

I have tried 2 and they both worked. I thought 1 wasn't, but was because I hadn't tighten down the breaker terminal screw

I looked and have this one currently
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks again. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm in the US now and will be buying my Starlink dish and the inverter you recommended, then flying down to the Caribbean next week. I'm new to marine electrical projects. If you were me, would you recommend hiring someone to do that wiring locally, or is this a good easy first electrical project that I would be better off learning to do for myself? I'm able and ready to learn, just don't want to start with the wrong project.
Old 22-11-2023, 17:08   #8
CLOD

[QUOTE=chrislacy;3844464 I'm new to marine electrical projects. If you were me, would you recommend hiring someone to do that wiring locally, or is this a good easy first electrical project that I would be better off learning to do for myself? I'm able and ready to learn, just don't want to start with the wrong project.[/QUOTE]

well it is just installing a breaker, connecting 1 wire to it and the other to the negative bus, and connection the wires to the inverter. Doesn't get any easier. Another cruiser/boater would probably help for a 6-pack
Old 23-11-2023, 17:32   #9

pick up a 250w or 375w victron sine wave inverter for the starlink (normal rv version). they are not that much vrs the cheap brands

you will want a pure sine wave inverter.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2023, 05:02   #10

Cigarette lighter plugs are not the best choice for long term use, but they are ok for several amps for short periods of time. I tried to run a 5-amp cooler on one permanently. Eventually, the rocking of the boat worked it loose, & when the contacts inside were just barely touching, they got hot & burned the plastic housing.

Trolling motor plugs are a much better choice for up to 50 amps. Above that you can get "Anderson plugs" like they use on electric forklift batteries. They come in various sizes from 50-amp to several hundred amp rating. Be sure to always get the same color. Reds don't plug into grey nor blue, etc. even if they are the same frame size.

Be sure to use appropriate fuses or breakers.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, USA