Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2023, 07:29   #1

Connecting European wired boat to US shore power

I'm temporarily on the dock - and looking to connect my European wired boat to US shore power. I've gotten a few quotes that are absurdly high to rewire to US and am looking for a more reasonable (and temporary) solution. I don't need to run anything other than my battery charger as I can (and do) live without 120v devices. I've tried to find a portable isolation transformer - my boat is large enough to store a heavy device and it would be worth carrying to have this capacity at times but the only thing close that I found is the Defender 3.3kVA Step Up Transformer 16A (https://www.defenderpower.com/produc...s-240v-e205030) Does anyone have experience with this or with similar? Any thoughts? My ideal (I think) is to simply plug a transformer into US Shore and then take the output and plug it into my 230V shore input (while switching off everything except my Mastervolt charger which can handle the range.) What am I missing? Who's got the perfect solve? Thanks in advance!
NedBulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 08:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Connecting European wired boat to US shore power

If its a European yacht it might have the AC earth connected to the 12v DC negative circuit and from there to the anode.

If all you want to do is run a battery charger, why not just buy a cheap 20A charger and use an extension lead with a plug in RCBO / GGCI?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 14:08   #3

Thanks. I've got a bank of batteries and not sure how its all connected and since I have an existing charger set up it seems like tapping into that is the best approach. But I'm pretty green with all this.
Old 16-11-2023, 15:01   #4

The linked transformer had a couple of things I'd be concerned about. It says it wants a 50Hz input. It is labelled for an intermittent duty cycle of 5 mins on/15 mins off.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 15:55   #5

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Some (most?) current Mastervolt battery chargers are 110/230volt (actually a greater range than that) 50/60htz. Could it be as simple as wiring a switchable supply such that you could supply your battery charger from a 110 or 230 source? Full disclosure - I'm no electrical expert.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 19:23   #6

Boat: X-482, X-Yachts

We are currently in the same situation, we have a rather big solar array on the boat but the sun is so low now, that I fear a few days of no sun (and no diesel heater). I ordered a 110V shore power adapter to household plug and a 30A Victron IP22 charger. This will sort the shore power problem permanently for North America without any other devices. I'm pretty sure that transformer is more expensive than the IP22 charger.
claptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2023, 21:37   #7

Boat: Oyster 56

Hi,
I spent last two years in US and Canada on EU boat.
To charge the batteries i use 50amps US shore power that has two 120V phases so you get 240/250V and 60hz power. Most of the chargers are able to handle it and home apliances too except washing machine.
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 08:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Some (most?) current Mastervolt battery chargers are 110/230volt (actually a greater range than that) 50/60htz. Could it be as simple as wiring a switchable supply such that you could supply your battery charger from a 110 or 230 source? Full disclosure - I'm no electrical expert.

That's what I'm thinking and based on the manual it doesn't specify the input. That said, neither am I!
Old 17-11-2023, 08:37   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Go to the nearest auto parts store and buy a cheap 110 volt charger and an extension cord. You may need a 30 amp to 15 amp adaptor also.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 09:18   #10

Boat: X-482, X-Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s57ra View Post
Hi,
I spent last two years in US and Canada on EU boat.
To charge the batteries i use 50amps US shore power that has two 120V phases so you get 240/250V and 60hz power. Most of the chargers are able to handle it and home apliances too except washing machine.
Does that mean you simply splice both phases on a 50A plug together to get something close to 240V?
claptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 09:38   #11

Quote:
Go to the nearest auto parts store and buy a cheap 110 volt charger
I tried using a "smart" Schumacher car battery charger on some lead acid deep cycle batteries I keep in my home and my meter was showing about 15.7v across the battery terminals so I stopped using it.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 11:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Does that mean you simply splice both phases on a 50A plug together to get something close to 240V?
There are a L1, L2, Neutral, and Grounding connections on a 50A US plug. You take L1 or L2 and connect it to the Load wire on your Euro boat, and connect the other to the Neutral wire.
Old 17-11-2023, 11:51   #13

Boat: Oyster 56

Quote:
You connect your neutral and hot to hot ends (L1 and L2) where the voltage between phases is 240V. Check the thread below but make sure you understand what you're doing.
How to wire a 50 amp shore power plug in the USA - Cruisers & Sailing Forums https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...sa-279003.html
s57ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 11:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I tried using a "smart" Schumacher car battery charger on some lead acid deep cycle batteries I keep in my home and my meter was showing about 15.7v across the battery terminals so I stopped using it.
You should have saved money and bought the dumb charger. I lived in Australia for 2 years with a 6 amp 230v charger from Repco. I had gel batteries which didn't like overcharging, so I hooked one of my solar panel controllers in the loop.

When I got to Singapore and discovered Sin Lim tower, I bought a 3 KVA transformer for $75 and rewired the boat.
Old 17-11-2023, 12:22   #15

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Quote:
DO NOT DO THAT !!!! If you don't know what your doing get some help.

You can buy a marine charger for 110 volts and plug it into a proper shore power cord. An adapter like this would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Amp-Up-Marine...hoCw0kQAvD_BwE
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Europe, power, rope, shore power