Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 17:24   #76

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Sizing Victron MPPT Controller

Pete,

Likewise, I just commissioned one of the 75/15 units with built-in blue tooth the other day.

I then ran the VictronConnect app from my iPhone for the first ever Bluetooth connection to the 75/15.

The app proceeded to inform me of updates [unsolicited] and upon answering yes, it proceeded to download updates over the phone cell connection and install the updates to the 75/15 over Bluetooth.

Done. Sweet.

Cheers! Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Playing around this afternoon with a pair of Victon MPPTs, a 75/15 and another 75/10 for separate panels I noticed that when connected to the lappy with a the USB widget it updated the software in the MPPTs. Originally supplied with v1.16 they updated to v1.30. So if you have the smaller Victon MPPTs it might be worth updating them if you have the opportunity.

Quite nice interface to see what is going on with them:

Old 05-05-2018, 01:02   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Yes quite fascinating. The batteries are quite full so might have to stick the slow cooker on to give the panels something to do and watch what happens, but this isn't getting the antifoul painting done. The other problem is fixing them in place makes life difficult connecting the widget in the socket. I am going to change to mounting them on those little round velcro pads.

My other query is whether to and how often to do a sulfation charge. The 2 x 12v FLA batteries are now 7 years old but have always been kept charged with solar. The lowest they have been down to is 12.3v briefly and only occasionally. Now with the Victrons I can choose a sulfation charge of up to 16v. My concern is will this do any good or risk finishing off the batteries for good?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:56   #78
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

AKA equalization routine.

The batt mfg should provide a specific protocol to follow, voltage level, time, amps etc.

Many owners do it monthly. Must be done manually, never allow a charge source to automate it.

Some batts should never be done.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:15   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Plugged in the usb widget to see how the solar panels were doing on Sunday, which promptly updated the software for the Victrons. If you have one of the small Victron MPPT controllers worth connecting them up to get the latest software.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt