Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 10:54   #31

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Re: Resurrect old solar install

My kids are between 3 and 10. When we depart the will be 5, 9, and 12. I agree, the screen devices really add up on our draw, even severely limiting the time.

We do have a Honda 2KW, but I would really prefer to leave it behind when we start long distance cruising. It is always in the way and one more thing to maintain.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:19   #32

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur5 View Post
My kids are between 3 and 10. When we depart the will be 5, 9, and 12. I agree, the screen devices really add up on our draw, even severely limiting the time.

We do have a Honda 2KW, but I would really prefer to leave it behind when we start long distance cruising. It is always in the way and one more thing to maintain.
I promise that will be a mistake. We pretty much know zero long distance cruisers without a generator (built in or portable). Especially if you go with AGM or LA batts. As your batteries age, they will be your limiting factor. Winter days will be a killer for you without it. In the tropics there can be days and days of cloud in the winter where your panels will make like %10 of their rated power (hell they will make zero in the rains). Life will suck as you sit aboard a dark boat, trying to eat through your freezer cause you don't have the power to run it and forcasts show 4 more days. Kids going insane as they are locked in the boat because its raining so hard you are in danger of drowning if you look up. How you would love to put a movie on for them. Of course you could just fire up a motor and use the alternator, but thats a damn expensive generator.

Even worse, trying to replace that generator outside the USA can be super painful. As an example here in Martinique that generator lists for $1600 euro and is only available in 240V (a 120V version will add about $200 here). Head to the South Pacific and its even harder (doubtfull you would find one there). Based on our experience (entering our third year full time), I suggest you find a way to bring it. Hell even if you bring it and then sell it to another cruiser.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 11:44   #33

My problem is the only out of the way storage place I have is a bow locker, and after being in it last summer, there is quite a bit of corrosion starting in the generator. I'm not sure of its long term viability to carry. The only other options are in the cockpit (always underfoot) or outside on the back deck - again corrosion concerns.

I do see your point though, it might be best to find a way to bring it. Any suggestions on how to keep corrosion at bay?
Old 23-11-2017, 11:51   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
My problem is the only out of the way storage place I have is a bow locker, and after being in it last summer, there is quite a bit of corrosion starting in the generator. I'm not sure of its long term viability to carry. The only other options are in the cockpit (always underfoot) or outside on the back deck - again corrosion concerns.

I do see your point though, it might be best to find a way to bring it. Any suggestions on how to keep corrosion at bay?
there is a good discussion about dc generators and or large output alternator for retrofitting on the main engine . 150 to 400 amp output units. That may be a way to go rather than a gasoline generator on a diesel boat. ( no need to carry the extra gas for generator as well as the gas for the tender engine)
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-193270.html
Then there is the possibility of switching to lifepo4 to take full advantage of the higher charging rates.
Old 23-11-2017, 11:56   #35

Quote:

Our cat is only slightly bigger than yours and we have the same issues. For us, we choose to keep it in the cockpit. It rides right under my feet at the helm. Yup a PIA, but worth it for sure.

For corrosion... First, keep it under the bimini or somehwere out of the rain. Second, sew a cover for it (Sunbrella or another suitable material). Third, take the bugger apart and fill all the electrical connectors with Superlube (or any other quality dielectric grease). Even fill the front plugs. Finally, make sure you either using it every so often or lifting the cover to ensure no moisture buildup.
Old 23-11-2017, 13:59   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Do you really have no genny, nor alt off the propulsion motor?

An early-morning high-amp charge for even 30min to an hour can give your solar a huge jump on the charging day.

Higher loads than usual, or bad weather ahead, make it two hours. . .

When bank replacement time comes, consider LFP and all the issues are gone gone gone.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 14:07   #37

I do have a decent alternator. Ample power brand small frame with the smart regulator. The alternator is rated at 120 amps, but even with a low battery (50% discharge) I have only seen about 55 amps going into the batteries. My house bank is AGM, so I can take a lot more than that.

Troubleshooting this system is on the to do list for the winter.
Old 23-11-2017, 14:14   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I do have a decent alternator. Ample power brand small frame with the smart regulator. The alternator is rated at 120 amps, but even with a low battery (50% discharge) I have only seen about 55 amps going into the batteries. My house bank is AGM, so I can take a lot more than that.

what size house bank ?
Old 23-11-2017, 14:21   #39

580 AH
Old 23-11-2017, 14:59   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
580 AH
then your charge amps from the alternator is about right then . Agm's have a charge profile of .2C or 20% of capacity which would be 58 amps for your bank.
Want faster charging go lifepo4 they have a 1C rate or 100% of capacity.
Old 23-11-2017, 15:01   #41

You sure that is right? 20% of capacity would be 116 amps wouldn't it?
Old 23-11-2017, 15:19   #42
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

It can be very expensive to upgrade alt charging, and make little overall difference to charging runtimes.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...harged.176932/

All I'm saying is put what you've got to use when you need it, maybe put in a good bank monitor (SmartGauge and/or Victron 702-BMV) and you can be sure of getting to 100% Full every time you want to.

A few times a week is enough to help maximise bank longevity.

Not saying not to get more/better solar too, just that this morning-Bulk routine will give you quicker ROI.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 15:34   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You sure that is right? 20% of capacity would be 116 amps wouldn't it?
correct I'm not thinking so clear today busy cooking thanksgiving dinner for my army. ( 5 teen boys) total of 12 people.
Old 23-11-2017, 16:45   #44

Quote:

Sounds like you might have a diode based battery combiner in the circuit.. Just my guess...

Anyway.. I personally HATE running my motors to charge my batts (unless I'm moving). Hell, running a $10,000 motor to charge my batts when I could run a $700 generator (with much less maintenance) just doesn't make sense. However, that problem would be top of my list. For those days where you have to motor it would be nice to be flush with power.

Anyway.. Good luck.. I'm gonna unsubscribe to this thread as I think you have everything you need (and stuff has gone mighty sideways here). If you wanna PM me for our experience on as a family of 5 on a cat, please feel free! Maybe we will see you out there..

Tags
solar