Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 16:30   #1

I Wonder - If You Install a Wind Gennie or Solar Panels, Can You Get a Tax Credit?

Wondered if you install Wind or Solar can you get a tax credit?

Federal Tax Credits Extended through 2017
The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, which was signed into law on October 1, 2008, contains renewable energy legislation which is great news for our solar customers. Not only was the 30% commercial solar investment tax credit extended through 2017, but the same tax credit was also extended to residential installations. Under this new legislation the previous $2,000 cap for residential solar installations is eliminated. This means that, as of January 1, 2009, the purchase of a residential solar electric system makes you eligibile for a tax credit equal to 30% of the cost of your solar system, including installation.

Small Wind Systems Also Eligible for Tax Credit
The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 includes a federal-level investment tax credit to help consumers purchase small wind turbines for home, farm, or business use. Owners of small wind systems with 100 kilowatts (kW) of capacity and less can receive a credit for 30% of the total installed cost of the system, not to exceed $4,000. The credit will be available for equipment installed through December 31, 2016. For turbines used for homes, the credit is limited to $4,000 or $1,000 per kW of capacity (whichever is less

"CLARIFICATION OF HOMES THAT QUALIFY – there will probably more regulations coming out on this issue. Right now the law says the dwelling must be located in the United States and used by you as a residence. If you use a vacation home, then it is felt that the vacation rental rules apply as to whether the home will be considered a residence or not. A vacation home is considered a residence if your personal use exceeds 14 days or 10% of the days rented at a fair rental price.
In addition, motor homes in which you stay overnight, homes that may have a mother-in-law apartment in which a relative lives for free, a live-aboard (even part time) boat, mobile home etc all qualify. It must contain a sleeping space, toilet and cooking facilities."
chuck711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 21:20   #2

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
I guess if what you wrote is the 'just of it', the answer is yes. Go for it. I already have mine installed so I guess I'm too late. It was already there so I guess the other owner got the write off.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:17   #3

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
In Australia too

They're giving these things away all over the world.

In Australia its a Solar Credit Scheme. So if you buy a solar or a wind system (it must be installed buy a qualified electrician) You get Renewable Energy Certifcates which can be sold for cash. (as per carbon trading scheme)
E.G
1.5kw =130 REC ( Renewable Energy Certificates)x $40 (market value) =$5200 cash

The number of RECs per KW installation varies depending on where you live. The sunnier the climate, the more RECs.

If a boat is your principal place of residence and you have a fixed address, like a marina you are eligible.

If you lived on board it would be worth looking into.

Most people don't know about it, don't understand it and do nothing about it.

And that's just the way the goverment like it.

Jim
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:48   #4

Boat: Nordhavn 47
It makes sense. Any solar use on a boat or RV is actually replacing charging from either electricity or, even worse, diesel/gas so I can see where the incentive to purchase would be the same.
I am definitely adding wind and solar before 2017 but it will be interesting to think about what will be available as that deadline gets closer. I am holding out until closer to leaving time.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:09   #5

We live aboard full time so the boat is our residence. Installed our solar panels in 2007, VA, USA, and did get federal tax credit. Some states also offer tax credits.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote