Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 14:56   #61

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Recommend a Good Battery Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
You may find a cheap used replacement unit on eBay, if you have been happy with it.
Thanks for the suggestion but there haven’t been any Link 10 or Link 20 used on eBay for years now. Trust me if I could buy a working unit used, I would.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 15:28   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't find this type of battery monitor to be useful. . . . . . .

So my advice on a budget would be the original SmartGauge (you can buy it here for £96 https://jgtech.com/Electrical/Batter...art-Gauge.html). Or you don't even have to spend that if you are willing to get to know your system well enough that you can manage it by reading voltage.
Thanks for all that, it’s a lot of info. Having had a Link 10 for a decade or more, I’ve sort of become used to seeing nett amps coming in or going out. I have quite diverse charging systems including three alternators, two of which are independently switchable, a wind gen and 850w of solar on three different MPPT controllers.

So when I, for example, run mains appliances, I want to know how much current is going out so that I can judge what I need to switch on to have a balance. I’m not sure the SG offers that ability. I rarely run mains appliances without the main engine running.

I have a voltmeter for overall measurement and I have ammeters on each alternator. I also have digital information on the MPPT controllers so incoming current can be calculated by adding all this stuff up. But I don’t get nett amps that I’m used to getting.

The LinkPRO does and as mentioned, I have already got a wiring harness woven into the boat as well as a Xantrex shunt that can be easily substituted so I have none of the set-up issues that SG say they eliminate.

I’m an old fan of Xantrex but know little of the new era units. I’m looking at the units below but was wondering if there better options or whether, for example, these units had known durability issues. Seems like a lot of “modern” units have quite low amp capability - my battery bank is 850Ah and my max charge capability is up around 300A

Whilst I declared myself a pauper, the budget is not that tight that I need to rely on a voltmeter to manage electricity. I just didn’t need recommendations for units costing $800 which you didn’t do. Thanks. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DA9B2156-03BA-43EF-9BC7-05DB6A5F03C1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	218773   Click image for larger version

Name:	F533B79A-E29E-4738-B23D-95D3C3E6D977.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	218774  

Old 05-07-2020, 16:10   #63

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I agree with DH on original smartguage, or just VOC rested.
SG200 just does not work for SOC/SOH for my FLA setup.
As much as I've tried to make it work. Its just a pretty volt/ampmeter.
Latest update & it hits 100% way before taper current is reached.
(Not a live aboard, with constraints as such)
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 16:17   #64

Boat: Island Packet 349

I have a Mastervolt Battman Lite. Very pleased with its performance and accuracy. Xantrex sells the same unit under their name.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:37   #65

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Victron BMV712, has Bluetooth inside already for remote display and configuration via smart devices.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:52   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Thanks for all that, it’s a lot of info. Having had a Link 10 for a decade or more, I’ve sort of become used to seeing nett amps coming in or going out. I have quite diverse charging systems including three alternators, two of which are independently switchable, a wind gen and 850w of solar on three different MPPT controllers.

So when I, for example, run mains appliances, I want to know how much current is going out so that I can judge what I need to switch on to have a balance. I’m not sure the SG offers that ability. I rarely run mains appliances without the main engine running.

I have a voltmeter for overall measurement and I have ammeters on each alternator. I also have digital information on the MPPT controllers so incoming current can be calculated by adding all this stuff up. But I don’t get nett amps that I’m used to getting.

The LinkPRO does and as mentioned, I have already got a wiring harness woven into the boat as well as a Xantrex shunt that can be easily substituted so I have none of the set-up issues that SG say they eliminate.

I’m an old fan of Xantrex but know little of the new era units. I’m looking at the units below but was wondering if there better options or whether, for example, these units had known durability issues. Seems like a lot of “modern” units have quite low amp capability - my battery bank is 850Ah and my max charge capability is up around 300A

Whilst I declared myself a pauper, the budget is not that tight that I need to rely on a voltmeter to manage electricity. I just didn’t need recommendations for units costing $800 which you didn’t do. Thanks. .

If you really want an amp-counting battery monitor, being familiar with the use of it and all its weaknesses, then you should consider one of the Victron ones, which are cheap but better quality than Brand X.

There is also no law against having BOTH a Victron amp-counting meter AND a SmartGauge, all of which would not be costly.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:27   #67

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I use the Victron BMV 712 as well. Excellent little gadget which will cover two separate battery banks and tells me all i need to know.
Andrew
Old 06-07-2020, 04:28   #68

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Victron BMV712, has Bluetooth inside already for remote display and configuration via smart devices.
yep and data download to cloud based app with graphical representation over time.Awesome!
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:08   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

My Pico battery monitor has been excellent.

Expensive and reasonably complicated (so more suitable for electrical geeks like me) so perhaps not ideal for Cassidy, but for others looking for the best it is worth considering.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:42   #70

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Expensive and reasonably complicated (so more suitable for electrical geeks like me) so perhaps not ideal for Cassidy, but for others looking for the best it is worth considering.
I commented on this thread a while ago stating I had the intention of installing the same device. I have now done this and am very happy with the capabilities and versatility of the Simarine Pico (it monitors more or less everything now). And it very much cleared up a lot of wires in my panel adhering completely to my aim of minimizing 'stuff' on my boat.

Before - fairly simple device, also broken.

Name:	old display.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	218794

After - cleaned up display with new monitor. Thin aluminium sheet, spray painted black to cover up holes left by legacy devices.

Name:	Pico.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	218795
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 13:25   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Yes, that looks like a really nice tool but then as you say, expensive by the time all the sensors, shunts and wiring are added. And besides, I don’t have a need for the tank sensors, temperatures, barometers and so on, already have all that in other formats.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:39   #72

Quote:
If you really want an amp-counting battery monitor, being familiar with the use of it and all its weaknesses, then you should consider one of the Victron ones, which are cheap but better quality than Brand X.

There is also no law against having BOTH a Victron amp-counting meter AND a SmartGauge, all of which would not be costly.
Not wanting to sound contrary but I can buy the Mastervolt (Xantrex) Pro for NZ$279 and the Victron BM702 which looks about equivalent costs NZ$389 (and that’s “on sale”). Is the Victron worth $110 more?

Once again, is the Xantrex/Mastervolt unit actually known to be dodgy/unreliable? Because if it is then the extra cost may be worth it.
Old 06-07-2020, 13:53   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Not wanting to sound contrary but I can buy the Mastervolt (Xantrex) Pro for NZ$279 and the Victron BM702 which looks about equivalent costs NZ$389 (and that’s “on sale”). Is the Victron worth $110 more?

Once again, is the Xantrex/Mastervolt unit actually known to be dodgy/unreliable? Because if it is then the extra cost may be worth it.
BMV700 without bluetooth is $140

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ.../dp/B01BVQR0V8
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 14:04   #74
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Just ordered one with my new Multi
Hope its worth the price of $221 delivered to Philippines
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 14:37   #75

Quote:
Yes but when it has to come to NZ, the picture changes ever so slightly. The price for the 700 (as opposed to the 702) is similarly priced to the Mastervolt (Xantrex) PRO unit from a supplier in NZ. The Amazon price image was clipped from their website 3 minutes ago.

The Mastervolt Lite from the local supplier in NZ is $50 less expensive than the equivalent Victron 700 from Amazon.

The question remains: is it “cheaper” as opposed to less expensive?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B23715D8-F8F0-4A2F-8259-AB1DFC73FA11.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	218818   Click image for larger version

Name:	0987D72B-103A-4BD5-BC47-5A5ACE283D04.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	218820  

Name:	5D9CAC9B-FB5F-4B4A-A7C9-101B25779BA8.jpeg